What's your gameplan against Ohio State?

On offense, do what you’re doing. Stay out of 3rd and long and don’t turn the ball over. On defense I’m blitzing the hell out of Haskins and putting my dbs one on one and having them sit on an island to jump routes hoping the blitz get home. Will get killed deep more often but physically in the trenches I don’t think we can stop them so I’d rather shoot for the turnover and short field rather than just get driven back and hope for an OSU mistake or penalty

Contaminate Ohio State training table with Norovirus

Devise football's version of the flying V.

We needs someone to do the dirty work, and contaminate the Ohio State utensils, glasses and cups with Norvirus. Need everyone of there players to catch that or get food poisoning. perhaps there is a Michigan alumni that works in their food service group that can help out.

We could go with trickery and start punting on 3rd down...

Play Seth Green at QB unless Z Annexstad is totally healthy.
Run the ball a ton.
Kill the clock as much as possible.
Turn it into a field position battle.
Pray for sloppy turnovers by OSU.

ask if it's OK to go running time in the second half.

Honestly, I see no chance for the Gophers to compete, let alone win. goal #1 is don't get anyone else hurt. go vanilla - run the ball and throw safe, short pass routes. Hope the defense and special teams can keep the score from getting too far out of hand.

this is one of those times when you just want to live to fight another day. there are winnable games coming up on the schedule. that should be the focus.

Sure hope the players don’t read your post and you could never be my football coach!

Note to be sent to Ohio State Athletic Dept:

Hey Urban,
Just letting you know that the start time for our game has been changed to 7PM. Not my idea -- Sid insisted on it and what Sid wants Sid gets. We'll have the visitors locker rooms opened up for you and your team, around 3PM or so. That'll give you plenty of time to settle in and get ready for the kickoff.
All the Best,
PJ

Ohio St hasn't looked good at times this year. Like others have said, try to get the running game going, limit turnovers and big plays by OSU, and there's a chance to hang around until the end.

I saw Kiondre Thomas was listed atop the depth chart. I would really love to see the defense play a solid complete game.

Hey Urban,
Just letting you know that the start time for our game has been changed to 7PM. Not my idea -- Sid insisted on it and what Sid wants Sid gets. We'll have the visitors locker rooms opened up for you and your team, around 3PM or so. That'll give you plenty of time to settle in and get ready for the kickoff.
All the Best,
PJ

If this doesn't work, suggest being very "Minnesota nice" and polite to all OSU coaches and players. Pick them up and dust them off as needed. Share water bottles and let them use our towels, etc.

Maybe even setup a pretty good lutefisk smorgasbord at halftime in their locker room! You betcha!

Last edited:

Screen the hell out of them. A good screen game is the best offense against a good pass rush. Make those D lineman run sideline to sideline.

On defense, I think we are helplessly overmatched, so I’d try something different, maybe 5 d-linemen and see if you can win some one on one battles.

Run the ball 80 percent of the time so the final score isn’t as embarrassing.

Run the triple option with occasional fullback dives and quick out passes. Seriously you have to show them something they never practice or play against, have Green run option and rest Annexstad so he doesn't get hurt. Control the clock and punt them in to poor field position. On defense blitz every down linebackers and safties. Create turnovers.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

You do realize we don't run the triple option? You are talking about installing a completely new offense and blocking schemes. I assume you want our wildcat QB to run this new offense?

You do realize we don't run the triple option? You are talking about installing a completely new offense and blocking schemes. I assume you want our wildcat QB to run this new offense?

I don't think he was being serious. I think he was saying that our best chance to beat Ohio State is to do something we have literally never done before to catch them completely off guard and then hope we can hang on. He was being facetious.

Minnesota was able to hang with OSU a few years ago just getting a few key turnovers and pounding the run game, but I think that might even be a high expectation for this year.

Hey Urban,
All the Best,
PJ

It’s an away game for us.

Personally, I intend to drink. A lot.

As far as the team goes, the only hope lies in winning the possession battle -- which would be considerably more feasible if we had either of our top two running backs. Control the ball, control the game. Hope like hell the run defense reprises last week's effort. Pray for a pass rush and better coverage in the secondary.

I guess hope and pray pretty much sums it up.

Honestly, I have next to zero aspirations for this game. Get through it. The next five games are what's going to determine the season.

JTG

Someone mentioned screens earlier. The Gophers had a nice screen setup early on in the Iwoa game, but Connor Olson just missed his guy who tackled our RB immediately. I think draw plays and screens can start working for this team if every player executes a little better. Experience and practice will pay dividends hopefully later this season.

Last edited:

Someone mentioned screens earlier. The Gophers had a nice screen setup early on in the Iwoa game, but Connor Olson just missed his guy who tackled our RB immediately. I think draw plays and screens can start working for this team if every player executes a little better. Experience and practice will pay dividends hopefully later this season.

The problem I see is that it almost has to be perfection, not a little better. The Gophers have zero margin for error due to the wide gap in talent level. It's possible the Gophers could literally make no turnovers, no terrible plays, tOSU could have multiple turnovers and the Gophers still lose.

This is one of those games that I'd like to see them play conservative to keep it close in the first three quarters, then start opening things up in the fourth (or whenever, if they start falling behind noticeably). If they can be within two scores late in the fourth, they still have a shot.

Someone else mentioned 3rd down. This team did not do well enough on 3rd down on either side of the ball last week. I wish I had an answer, but the coaches have to come up with schemes to be more successful on 3rd down.

Last week I told several buddies that I'd bet on Iowa to cover the spread. I was shocked that it was 3 early in the week. This week I'd take the Gophers. I think they are going to play not to get blown out, which should mean not being outscored by 30 points.

The game plan will be much like the one we saw during the final game vs. Wisconsin last year, at least if OSU gets up 21-0 quickly.

My game plan is to sleep until 3 pm on Saturday. [emoji932]

Triple option was tongue and cheek, you have to have lineman that can pull and tight ends or fullback that can block for that too, their ends really aggressive so your trying to suck them in. All I really would do is watch the game tape on how Iowa attacked them last year. See if Zach Annexstad and our WR could mimic some of what Stanley and Hawks were able to do on isolation plays last year and great pl.y action. Bosa and some of Bucks best D line out, got to try and lean on them and wear on them use some trap plays. ON defense double A GAP blitz with middle twist between Cashman and Barber to try and free up Cashman. Bring the corner Smith off the edge. Pressure them every down as Penn State did. Dump the ball off in check downs to a stick route 5 yards or shallow cross when the boundary throws not available. Attack middle soft areas. Control the clock on offense it is the only way for Minnesota to win is be ball hogs keep the defense off the field

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Put a hand grenade in between my cr@tch and count ten backwards.

Top Bottom