Unofficial #Gophers football 2018 redshirt tracker after Iowa

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I really believe that we need to be tough minded about saving red shirts at least this year. After this year perhaps we can afford to let a body or two get away from us.

Faalale listed as starting RT for OSU. Looks like the red shirt is coming off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redshirts should be used for

Players that are undersized at their position that need another year of physical maturity
Players for which we have depth and skill at that position among upperclassmen
Players who, due to injury, will not be able to compete in a significant number of games (over the 4 allowed)
Players who realistically will likely be here for a 5th year

Faalele fails all those criteria. Burn his redshirt as soon as possible.

It will only be his third game played. Wonder if they will play him two more and call that good.

Technically he can play 2 more games before he loses his redshirt. But I do expect him to play the rest of the season at this point unless he plays really bad the next 2 games.

Redshirts should be used for

Players that are undersized at their position that need another year of physical maturity
Players for which we have depth and skill at that position among upperclassmen
Players who, due to injury, will not be able to compete in a significant number of games (over the 4 allowed)
Players who realistically will likely be here for a 5th year

Faalele fails all those criteria. Burn his redshirt as soon as possible.

People keep pretending that he "wouldn't be here for a 5th year anyway." There is nothing to support that. It's wishful thinking. Minnesota has had, what, 2 players leave early for the NFL (M. Williams, W. Middlebrooks) in the last 20 years? Moreover, offensive linemen redshirt as a rule - a small minority play because they're needed (even though they're not ready). An even smaller minority play right away because they're actually that good. And, additionally, most offensive linemen drafted are 4th- or 5th-year players. Very few early-entry OL are drafted. This fanciful notion needs to stop being repeated as though it has any basis whatsoever in fact.

Now - all of the above being said, Faalele should be starting because he looks to be one of our 5 best OL, and we need to make a bowl game this year. It has nothing to do with him "not being here for a 5th year anyway."

People keep pretending that he "wouldn't be here for a 5th year anyway." There is nothing to support that. It's wishful thinking. Minnesota has had, what, 2 players leave early for the NFL (M. Williams, W. Middlebrooks) in the last 20 years? Moreover, offensive linemen redshirt as a rule - a small minority play because they're needed (even though they're not ready). An even smaller minority play right away because they're actually that good. And, additionally, most offensive linemen drafted are 4th- or 5th-year players. Very few early-entry OL are drafted. This fanciful notion needs to stop being repeated as though it has any basis whatsoever in fact.

Now - all of the above being said, Faalele should be starting because he looks to be one of our 5 best OL, and we need to make a bowl game this year. It has nothing to do with him "not being here for a 5th year anyway."

I listed that last among reasons because it was the weakest argument. I don't disagree that's it's not likely that it happens, only a chance. Similarly counting that he will even be playing football 4 years from now is a risk as not all players make it through that long for a whole host of reasons.

Marion barber and Maroney both went pro with eligibility remaining. That said, it is extremely rare and we should be ecstatic if Faalele is that good that he can leave early.

Top Bottom