Annexstad

Nomellini

Reaction score
I am wondering about the wisdom of letting our hobbled starting quarterback play vs. OSU. Yes, he needs the experience to outgrow some freshman tendencies but I can see him aggravating the ankle or sustaining a new injury in his present immobile state. Playing Saturday against that defense in a certain loss (sorry to offend any dreamers) might well jeopardize our chances in the series of upcoming games that are regarded by many as winnable. Another two weeks off could put him in peak health for Nebraska. Would Morgan be put out by being regarded as expendable? Well, presumably, he came here to play and I would hope that he would welcome the opportunity and the challenge. Besides, he has greater mobility and also needs experience. It's a little like baseball where a less valued pitcher is expected to go out and be an "innings-eater" in a blow-out to benefit the staff.

Morgan? Morgan who? Seriously, been a while since I've heard his name. I agree Annexstad needs to get healthy.

I agree with your logic. Zack is not able to play any where near his optimum capabilities on a bum ankle. I'd like to see more Seth Green along with Tanner vs the Buckeyes.

I want our young QB1 to get this horseshoe road game experience if at all possible - even if it means harming our chances in the Nebraska game.

If things get out of hand, we may be able to rest ZA for a half to minimize the beating while also getting Morgan and Green some experience.

If he’s healthy enough to play then he should play. He needs to learn how to throw the ball away and stop taking coverage sacks. That’s his biggest issue right now.

If he’s healthy enough to play then he should play. He needs to learn how to throw the ball away and stop taking coverage sacks. That’s his biggest issue right now.

In my opinion his biggest issue is backpedaling 8 yards and throwing the ball off his back foot. He needs to step up in the pocket and let it rip. I’d even go a step further and say that his constant backpedaling isn’t helping his line engage blocks. Some of the sacks are directly a result of him getting happy feet and not letting the pocket form.

In my opinion his biggest issue is backpedaling 8 yards and throwing the ball off his back foot. He needs to step up in the pocket and let it rip. I’d even go a step further and say that his constant backpedaling isn’t helping his line engage blocks. Some of the sacks are directly a result of him getting happy feet and not letting the pocket form.

I agree with this as well. There were several times on Saturday where he did have time to get the ball away and didn't. Part of this is just being a true freshman in the B1G. But he's not going to learn from the bench. If he has success against OSU, that could bode well for the rest of this season.

I'd be all for him playing if this ankle thing didn't come up twice already.... and he is likely to get hit again and again at OSU...

I'd rather he heal up and get some more practice, rather than less if he gets hut and misses even more games than just OSU / winnable games ..

I agree with this as well. There were several times on Saturday where he did have time to get the ball away and didn't. Part of this is just being a true freshman in the B1G. But he's not going to learn from the bench. If he has success against OSU, that could bode well for the rest of this season.

He will be lucky to walk out out of the Shoe under his own power.

I think our true freshman QB is failing and growing each week. If healthy he absolutely should play on Saturday. I do think using Green like last week can give him a break. I also want to see a bunch of young guys see the field. See who steps up to the occasion.

I also think Annexstad is adjusting to new issues that he likely never faced in HS. The kid played for the best team in the county. He likely had all day to sit back and throw the ball and could find guys open. I hope he continues to grow each week. He has some real arm talent.

I think Green is more of a #2 than Tanner Morgan is right now.

Green just isn't the style of offense we want to use for the next 3 years, that's why he's not #1 or #2.

I agree. I would like to see the Gophers compete in this game, but realistically this should be a game where each position group learns how to apply their craft against the best competition. Hopefully they can come out of the game with some positives.

What pocket?

I don't disagree that he may backpedal too much but the young man needs offensive line help. We need to recruit some hogs for the O-Line.
Benhart would be great to add to Faalele. We need that wall up front or this hobbling kid is going to get killed.

We just put up 31 points on pretty good (albeit depleted Iowa team).

Zack has some issues he needs to work out (pocket presence, stepping up in the pocket, etc.), that said, he has been really impressive for a true freshman QB. He is one of the leaders on the football team and he should be out there playing. Sitting Zack sets a horrible tone to the entire team.

I hope our offensive coordinator annoys everyone and runs a pretty vanilla game plan. The last two weeks, we've ran the bell well, just not enough. It wasn't great against Maryland but Mo had almost 100 yards.

I really hope we see Zack under center and Faalele at RT.

PJ has shown a predilection to play hurt players for better or (mostly) worse. ZA will be out there. The good news is Faalele will help shore up the line. The bad news is the rest of the line will have their hands full vs a fearsome pass rush even without Bosa.

Morgan? Morgan who? Seriously, been a while since I've heard his name. I agree Annexstad needs to get healthy.

Why did za continue playing in the game in which he was injured ?

Once the game starts to get out of hand, Annexstad either needs to be pulled or Fleck needs to tell the offensive line that he isn't allowed to get hit, even if it means taking holding penalties.

We should go in with the intention of trying to win which includes starting Annexstad as long as he isn't too hurt. But assuming the game won't be close, at some point it becomes dumb to keep risking injury.

Why did za continue playing in the game in which he was injured ?

Not injured that badly. Player said he could go and PJ believed medical staff who cleared them.

PJ has a predilection to bench players he sees are questionable even if medically cleared. (Mo Ibrahim is a recent example).

PJ won't play a player who isn't cleared medically by medical staff.

I think our true freshman QB is failing and growing each week. If healthy he absolutely should play on Saturday. I do think using Green like last week can give him a break. I also want to see a bunch of young guys see the field. See who steps up to the occasion.

I also think Annexstad is adjusting to new issues that he likely never faced in HS. The kid played for the best team in the county. He likely had all day to sit back and throw the ball and could find guys open. I hope he continues to grow each week. He has some real arm talent.

Agree 100%. Nailed it.

I think he's been really good so far, better than I hoped. Sure, some rookie mistakes that are tough but nothing that isn't fixable with experience and reps. The great thing about Annexstad is that he's still essentially a CHILD. He'll be bigger, he'll get stronger, his arm will get stronger, and he'll get smarter. Most importantly, he seems to have the head for it. Not much seems to bother him much and that's something you really can't teach either.

If he puts the time in during the offseason, he could make a huge leap forward next year.

Lastly, sitting him against a tough opponent sends a horrible message to the team. Is that what you want your team thinking, that because they're playing a tough team we want to protect some of the younger players? Ridiculous. If you want to "disguise" that a little bit by Green taking a FEW more snaps than normal and if the game gets clearly out of hand maybe you put in Morgan a little earlier than you normally might but resting/protecting your starting QB against a tough opponent sends a terrible message to the team.

I don’t think it sets a bad example to sit a hurting player that can’t perform (eg ZA at Maryland) and can even result in disastrous outcomes. Penn State relied on McSorley’s scrambling mobility to move the ball vs Ohio State. They wouldn’t have had a chance without him evening up the numbers.

I agree with your logic. Zack is not able to play any where near his optimum capabilities on a bum ankle. I'd like to see more Seth Green along with Tanner vs the Buckeyes.

ZA might start, but should be pulled early - let's see more of Green, some of Morgan. The game is out of reach, anyway - no use aggravating an ankle injury

ZA might start, but should be pulled early - let's see more of Green, some of Morgan. The game is out of reach, anyway - no use aggravating an ankle injury

I fear getting pulled early will just be because he aggravates it. ZA likes to hold the ball... our OL... :(

Likely to be an outcome similar to Shortell's and Leidner's debuts at the Big House. Both freshman year. Trial by fire and blowouts but in at least in Mitch's case he won the following year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It comes down to this:

Is Annexstad at 80% better than Morgan at 100%?

If Annexstad is 70%, is he still better than Morgan at 100%?

The coach said the decision on which one to start was very close. But it doesn't seem close if an injured Annexstad is playing over a healthy Morgan.

My personal take - Annexstad may be showing gumption by playing, but ultimately, I do not think it's fair to Annexstad to put him out there and expect him to perform when he is not close to being 100% healthy. That is, IMHO, almost setting him up to fail.

If the coaches (for whatever reason) absolutely do not want Morgan to play, then bite the bullet and let Green play QB. With his physical strength, he is less likely to get injured. It may not be pretty, but I would take that over another QB who is clearly not healthy.

The name of the game is to survive. Keep Faalele off the lineup. Put in some other RS FRs, maybe Dunlop and others for the allotted 4 games. Try to be more run heavy. This losing season will be good for the team next year with Faalele's RS intact.

I like us to win, but to win by enough to pull our QB early? That’s some hopeful thinking if you ask me... ��

Agree both with you and those concerned about the line play. Annexstad's initial reaction to pressure seems to be to go backwards and then try to get outside the rush. That may work in high school, but at this level, it only runs you into contact. The line play has been spotty and that's where the problem starts and with experience, Annexstad should be able to make some adjustments to mitigate those issues.

Last edited:

Not injured that badly. Player said he could go and PJ believed medical staff who cleared them.

PJ has a predilection to bench players he sees are questionable even if medically cleared. (Mo Ibrahim is a recent example).

PJ won't play a player who isn't cleared medically by medical staff.

Injured badly enough he was hobbling mightily and could not throw normally in the game he was first injured.

Been hobbling ever since. Badly enough? Disagree.

Top Bottom