Chip: Poor game management hurt Gophers vs. Iowa

On the fake punt, one thing that is not being mentioned is the trajectory of the throw was poor. Herbers threw the ball like Autman-Bell was wide open, but that play is designed to either be a catch or draw a DPI from an unsuspecting jammer. If the ball was more of a back shoulder throw or fade and Autman-Bell had to come back to the football there's a great chance to draw the DPI. It's definitely a lot to ask of your punter, but they clearly knew he could throw the ball. I didn't like the call due to time/score, but don't think it's an awful play to have at your disposal. What is an extra kick in the nuts is that if Annexstad and Green threw their deep balls like Herbers did, the Gophers would have had a couple more big plays. There were at least two INT's on deep balls where the Gopher receiver had a step or two and the ball was thrown to the only place the DB could make a play on it.

There can't be pass interference if the punter is the one throwing the pass to the outside receiver.

2-9 is what Kill started in the B1G. Tracy Claeys started 1-7 in the B1G. Nebraska is improved? They are 0-5. Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska, and Indiana are all very beatable.

and was that acceptable for Kill/Claeys to start that way?

Wasn't Fleck hired to be better? So, we're spending 3 times what we paid Kill for in his first year and 6x what we paid Claeys and doing the same thing is acceptable? Fleck will have his time whether fans are getting impatient or not, but he's not off to a good start, as you point out.

and was that acceptable for Kill/Claeys to start that way?

Wasn't Fleck hired to be better? So, we're spending 3 times what we paid Kill for in his first year and 6x what we paid Claeys and doing the same thing is acceptable? Fleck will have his time whether fans are getting impatient or not, but he's not off to a good start, as you point out.

Why does that matter? Fleck is still one of the lowest paid coaches in the B1G. Yes he needs to do better, but he'll get 4 years to do it. Over half of the starting offense could be Freshman this week, and yet we've still seen the offense play pretty well.

Why does that matter? Fleck is still one of the lowest paid coaches in the B1G. Yes he needs to do better, but he'll get 4 years to do it. Over half of the starting offense could be Freshman this week, and yet we've still seen the offense play pretty well.

Apparently it doesn’t matter to you that the results are the same.

You compared Fleck’s record to previous coaches, not the OP. At the time of Fleck’s hire, he was in the middle of the pay scale in the big ten. He’s dropped according to this mornings article on rivals, but is still relatively better off than his predecessors who were paid the lowest wage in the big ten vs middle of the pack to middle of the lower tier and that’s not including assistant salaries....

Fleck may break the trend but so far we’ve changed the pay structure but not the results.

FWIW, I made the comment that Coyle hadn’t really changed the dynamic in pay, he made his splash to cover up his failings as a leader (and his bosses) and now is letting the pay situation drift down towards where it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Helps when you get a short field but kudos for cashing in on the opportunity

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Apparently it doesn’t matter to you that the results are the same.

You compared Fleck’s record to previous coaches, not the OP. At the time of Fleck’s hire, he was in the middle of the pay scale in the big ten. He’s dropped according to this mornings article on rivals, but is still relatively better off than his predecessors who were paid the lowest wage in the big ten vs middle of the pack to middle of the lower tier and that’s not including assistant salaries....

Fleck may break the trend but so far we’ve changed the pay structure but not the results.

FWIW, I made the comment that Coyle hadn’t really changed the dynamic in pay, he made his splash to cover up his failings as a leader (and his bosses) and now is letting the pay situation drift down towards where it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure the results matter, but he gets a pass from me until this team actually builds up some depth and experience with his players. That'll happen over the next two years. If we are seeing the same things two years from now, then his job will be in jeopardy.

Do people at jobs around america make exactly what their predecessors made 5, 10+ years ago to do the same job? No, the going rate increases with inflation and an improving job market. Fleck was paid what was needed to land him. He's now slipped to the bottom of the B1G because college football head coaching salaries continue to increase. He'll likely remain there until he proves he can coach at this level. Isn't that exactly how it should be?

Top Bottom