PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 10-7-18

Not disputing that, but why is Annexstad lined up outside? Why not put Bateman or someone else out there that is a threat to catch a pass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because it's far away from the play, essentially it's a block.

If we lined him up near the play, they'd get to bring another defender into the box.

The answer is plain and simple... It is so that the opposing defense cannot immediately adjust their defensive scheme to defend the wildcat.... if ZA5 goes off the field, they can call their defense earlier....

I get what you are saying. I do. But wouldn’t Green have to take some snaps at the actual WR spot once and awhile for opposing defenses to respect that we won’t be in Wildcat formation every time 17 trots onto the field?

I get what you are saying. I do. But wouldn’t Green have to take some snaps at the actual WR spot once and awhile for opposing defenses to respect that we won’t be in Wildcat formation every time 17 trots onto the field?

Green does line up at WR at least a few times every week.

He lines up as an H back at times.

Yep. OL typically don't enter the draft at an early age. When size and strength are two of the most sought-after commodities, the most valuable prospects are allowed plenty of time at the college level to develop physically. Out of the 12 OL selected in the first two rounds last year, only two were less than 22 or 23 years old. Those two guys were 21.

Now, that being said, Faalele's size (and, assuming, strength) could potentially make him a hot commodity. But even if he cracks the starting lineup this year, he'll be here a minimum of two more seasons. And at this point I suspect he'll use up his college eligibility. If he has the skills and continues to develop, his value (to NFL teams) will only continue to increase each year.

EDIT: Went a little deeper into last year's draft. Of the eight OL taken in round three, only one was 21 years old. The rest were 22 or 23. So only three of the top 20 OL selected last year were less than 22, and all three of those guys were 21.

JTG

Yeah, he’ll be 21 going on 22 at the time of the draft based on the stories I’ve read about him. The thing with him is he’s a physical freak of nature so the normal rules may not apply despite his inexperience. In some respects he may already have a stronger base than NFL linemen (per IMG). He can move despite his massive size. He has long arms. According to this article he already is relatively lean at 400 pounds (will take with a grain of salt) so maybe his ideal playing weight isn’t 350 but closer to 400. I’m not sure teams would say well....he’s not 22 for another 6 months.

Ultimately, I trust PJ to do the right thing for Faalele. If they don’t think he’s ready and/or it may impact his future draft stock then sit him. If he’s ready then we definitely need him.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/03/07/daniel-faalele-img-academy-recruiting

My former roommate and I were discussing and he had a good point. The sooner they get to a Bowl, the sooner that's another "first" they can check off the list. It's rare that you take a group of students and go from zero to contending for the B1G West in a year. Usually, you build it by going through a series of "firsts". The first Bowl game, the first winning B1G season, the first kids drafted, etc. I don't think they should completely mortgage the future for making a Bowl, but on the same sense with new eligibility rules and increased transferring, I'd say use him while you can IF he's an upgrade. From what I saw Saturday, it sure looks like he was.

I admit, the hardest part with him versus some of the other guys is he's such a physical anomaly, that he could be a once in a lifetime type player. Players like that don't show up everyday anywhere, especially not at the U. If he would stick around for 5 years, I just salivate thinking of how dominant he could be. But there's so many ifs involved in that. I guess that's why Coach Fleck gets the big bucks... :)

Couple reasons to play Faalele this year.

#1 As mentioned if he really is top talent, won't be here 5 years anyway
#2 if we are rowing in the right direction, next man up in 4 years will be as good or better, or at least a lesser dropoff.
#3 No one seems to make it 4 years totally healthy anymore, save the redshirt for a year where he physically can't play.
#4 Part of rowing the boat the right way is convincing future recruits we are on an upward trajectory. May need Faalele now to ensure that it looks that way.
#5 Playing Faalele now makes him better in 2019 than he would be without real game experience.

We have a chance in a few weeks to send a message to future B1G recruits that our program is on the right path and Nebraska is at best a question mark. Based on where we are at, that's our rival right now. Before we can contend with the Iowas and Wisconsins we need to put the Nebraskas and Purdues in the rear view first.

I'm on board with this 100%. Can you imagine him in four years from now verses a whole year this year? Yes we need help now, but Fleck is preaching patience and he has much more than many people. Thanks Son for the recap!

Ridiculous to "save" players. It is about starts. If he or anyone is the best at a position, play them. Freshman or not.

My former roommate and I were discussing and he had a good point. The sooner they get to a Bowl, the sooner that's another "first" they can check off the list. It's rare that you take a group of students and go from zero to contending for the B1G West in a year. Usually, you build it by going through a series of "firsts". The first Bowl game, the first winning B1G season, the first kids drafted, etc. I don't think they should completely mortgage the future for making a Bowl, but on the same sense with new eligibility rules and increased transferring, I'd say use him while you can IF he's an upgrade. From what I saw Saturday, it sure looks like he was.

I admit, the hardest part with him versus some of the other guys is he's such a physical anomaly, that he could be a once in a lifetime type player. Players like that don't show up everyday anywhere, especially not at the U. If he would stick around for 5 years, I just salivate thinking of how dominant he could be. But there's so many ifs involved in that. I guess that's why Coach Fleck gets the big bucks... :)

??

Play Dunlop in the next winnable game. Play both Dunlop and Faalele against Wisconsin if Shannon Brooks is back.

Top Bottom