PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 10-7-18

I like how they've handled the Faalele situation up to this point. They've given Schleuter every chance to nail down the position. Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to. Schleuter may simply be more useful as a backup, rather than a starter.

At this point, I'm inclined to go with the big guy.

After OSU, we have a string of five games where we should have a real chance to win. If the staff feels the same way, I expect Faalele will be in the starting lineup by the time we face Nebraska on Oct. 20. Those five games will determine how the entire season is perceived. Win three and get to a bowl game -- any bowl game -- and yesterday's loss will be forgotten. Until next year. ;)

JTG
Yes...right on. Faalele looks to be a major upgrade at Right Tackle.
Also, the way Schlueter is struggling I fear Anexstad may get banged up worse than he already is.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Play the big RT. 3yrs to find the next guy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly. You don't punt away seasons because of what "might be" 3 years down the row. The next 7 games are also the "future."

Play Faalele. He might already be the best O-lineman, and he may not be around for 4 years anyway, let alone 5.

If he's the best option, you have to play him. The whole RS debate continues to baffle me, like we know what's going to happen 3-4 years from now. Kid could transfer, quit football because of injuries, head to the draft, get beat out by a better candidate in a few years, et al.

If he's the best option, you have to play him. The whole RS debate continues to baffle me, like we know what's going to happen 3-4 years from now. Kid could transfer, quit football because of injuries, head to the draft, get beat out by a better candidate in a few years, et al.

If that's the way we are going, Dunlap needs to be worked in too then. Annexstad has shown that he will be successful if protected. Blaise needs substantial game time too though. I firmly believe that he will develop into a very good B1G OL.

Last edited:

Just remember. We’re going to do it “the right way”. I guess it all depends on what the right way is today vs when our “coach” first showed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like how they've handled the Faalele situation up to this point. They've given Schleuter every chance to nail down the position. Unfortunately, he hasn't been able to. Schleuter may simply be more useful as a backup, rather than a starter.

At this point, I'm inclined to go with the big guy.

After OSU, we have a string of five games where we should have a real chance to win. If the staff feels the same way, I expect Faalele will be in the starting lineup by the time we face Nebraska on Oct. 20. Those five games will determine how the entire season is perceived. Win three and get to a bowl game -- any bowl game -- and yesterday's loss will be forgotten. Until next year. ;)

JTG

I agree with you. You keep the redshirt on if the player is equal to or worse than the starter. Once he becomes a significant upgrade over the starter, you have to play him. Unfortunately Schleuter hasn't developed, which sadly seems to be the case for so many Minnesota OL who stay home. Faalele needs to start the rest of this season.

Faalele looked dominant.

I think there is a good chance he won't be here in 5 years, play him.

Winning now matters (it'll help with recruiting), getting more snaps will make him batter for next season, and the whole team is better with him in the game.

I would love to see DF get as much experience this year as possible, play him and get him ready to lead the way for Rodney and Shannon next year.

Gives Schlueter a bit more time to develop and mature as well. He may still be able to contribute down the line with additional development.

Last edited:

Haven’t watched game yet, but from reading this site about Big Dan, he should be the starting RT for the rest of his career. If he progresses like he has so far he will only be here 3 years.

A guy that has played only a handful of college snaps in his freshmen season and some posters on here having him leaving early and playing in the NFL.

Can’t make it up.

Let’s give Dunlop a chance next time. At 6’5 360 he will give us more size, might make a difference.

A guy that has played only a handful of college snaps in his freshmen season and some posters on here having him leaving early and playing in the NFL.

Can’t make it up.

NO took a tall lanky TE from the Gophs as an OL prospect so...

I see both sides on the Faalele debate. I do wish that if he was going to get in the game against Iowa, it would have been as a starter instead of his first snaps in one of his four possible games this year to be trailing by 14 in the second half. That game could have turned out differently with better Right Tackle play. I really, really dislike the idea of giving him his first start on the road at Ohio State. This is a kid with one year of football under his belt and putting him in the worst situation Minnesota is ever in (on the road at tOSU), is not a recipe for success. I think the strongest point from the pull the redshirt crowd is that Annexstad's health is at risk with Schuelter at RT.

I see both sides on the Faalele debate. I do wish that if he was going to get in the game against Iowa, it would have been as a starter instead of his first snaps in one of his four possible games this year to be trailing by 14 in the second half. That game could have turned out differently with better Right Tackle play. I really, really dislike the idea of giving him his first start on the road at Ohio State. This is a kid with one year of football under his belt and putting him in the worst situation Minnesota is ever in (on the road at tOSU), is not a recipe for success. I think the strongest point from the pull the redshirt crowd is that Annexstad's health is at risk with Schuelter at RT.

Yep, that and the fact that it doesn't help his development as a quarterback if he's being knocked around. He already throws it up at times off his back foot when he's rushed.

Play Falelae there's no way he sticks around for five years, he's ready to go and can help the team go to a bowl game, it's important to go bowling for recruiting and for the extra practices for the current guys. Kill and even Brewster got to bowls in year two. Mason would have made one in year two as well if the kicker hadn't shanked three extra points in Bloomington or if they played 12 regular season games in those days. Fleck didn't inherit the dumpster fire those guys did, he has recruited well, inherited some good pieces and has top notch facilities. Get it done!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

I am surprised the “Why do you keep Annexstad on the field during the Wildcat?” hasn’t garnered any posts in this thread. Maybe it has in other threads that I have yet to read ...

I agree with the coach’s point when he says the defense has to check after they break the huddle as to where Green is lined up. But that respect only goes so far if Green actually lines up at the WR position from time to time, right?

I didn’t follow the game as closely as I typically do because I was watching it with family on Saturday, but I don’t remember Green ever being on the field for any plays except when he was in at QB. They would need to sprinkle him in on the outside, otherwise the defense can just tee off on stopping the run when they see him enter the game.

They can’t stop him on the short yardage 9/10 times so he’s been effective running inside and outside despite everyone knowing what’s coming. He followed a road grading Faalele into the end zone yesterday. It really mitigates our lack of size at RB. If he can surprise and hit those slants or deep throws vs cover zero we are potentially off to the races if the DB stumbles or loses a step.

I agree with you. You keep the redshirt on if the player is equal to or worse than the starter. Once he becomes a significant upgrade over the starter, you have to play him. Unfortunately Schleuter hasn't developed, which sadly seems to be the case for so many Minnesota OL who stay home. Faalele needs to start the rest of this season.

Agreed. Also others have noted that playing the best RT is a good way of preserving a wounded FR QB. PJ talks about red-shirting OL to build technique and, especially, "man strength". Well, PJ says Faalele has strength in spades. He will gain technique much faster playing than watching.

They can’t stop him on the short yardage 9/10 times so he’s been effective running inside and outside despite everyone knowing what’s coming. He followed a road grading Faalele into the end zone yesterday. It really mitigates our lack of size at RB. If he can surprise and hit those slants or deep throws vs cover zero we are potentially off to the races if the DB stumbles or loses a step.

Not disputing that, but why is Annexstad lined up outside? Why not put Bateman or someone else out there that is a threat to catch a pass?

Nope. Your literally meaningless post was clearly spelled out.

Based on that response, you really did need it spelled out.

Can’t make it up.

Yeah, he could be that good. I don’t think anybody is saying that he is right now but at his Bryant McKinney size he has the potential.

Furthermore we are tied for worst in the league for sacks allowed. We have a basically totally immobile QB. I hope if we play 70 next week we either hand off all day or we play Seth Green or Morgan as I fear for ZA’s safety and that’s only half-joking.

I am surprised the “Why do you keep Annexstad on the field during the Wildcat?” hasn’t garnered any posts in this thread. Maybe it has in other threads that I have yet to read ...

The answer is plain and simple... It is so that the opposing defense cannot immediately adjust their defensive scheme to defend the wildcat.... if ZA5 goes off the field, they can call their defense earlier....

Another question is why they don’t have the RB in the slot and have him go in motion, rather than standing next to Green. In any event, it’s working well as-is and with a huge, athletic guy like Green it has the potential to be a game changer down the stretch.

Can’t make it up.

Yep. OL typically don't enter the draft at an early age. When size and strength are two of the most sought-after commodities, the most valuable prospects are allowed plenty of time at the college level to develop physically. Out of the 12 OL selected in the first two rounds last year, only two were less than 22 or 23 years old. Those two guys were 21.

Now, that being said, Faalele's size (and, assuming, strength) could potentially make him a hot commodity. But even if he cracks the starting lineup this year, he'll be here a minimum of two more seasons. And at this point I suspect he'll use up his college eligibility. If he has the skills and continues to develop, his value (to NFL teams) will only continue to increase each year.

EDIT: Went a little deeper into last year's draft. Of the eight OL taken in round three, only one was 21 years old. The rest were 22 or 23. So only three of the top 20 OL selected last year were less than 22, and all three of those guys were 21.

JTG

Last edited:

I’m torn between sitting Faalele and having 4 years or playing him now. Thank you for the synopsis.

If he continues to develop he won't be here for a 5th year anyway. Nelson did nothing against him and they actually moved Nelson to the other side away from him.

Top Bottom