Iowa fans

"They buy tickets they spend money....good for them"

Dude, this is one of the biggest problems with our program. We can't fill the seats...recruits notice that stuff. TCF is a great venue...where are the peeps? My theory....going to the Dome killed the fan base. People go to college football games for a college football vibe. The Metrodump lost that completely. The students were into it Saturday, but not much of anybody else.

And the Iowa fans that sat next to us were pretty friendly. Recognized that we were a really young team and will only get better. Said TCF was a nice stadium.

This has been proven mostly false over time. The Dome was packed for a few years under Mason. The loss to Wisc. and Michigan had more to do with losing part of the fan base than the stadium. Plus, TCF was packed before the momentum with Brewster stalled.

This has been proven mostly false over time. The Dome was packed for a few years under Mason. The loss to Wisc. and Michigan had more to do with losing part of the fan base than the stadium. Plus, TCF was packed before the momentum with Brewster stalled.

Yeah there's no reason to think an on stadium facility would have filled for long considering the performance.

Dude, this is one of the biggest problems with our program. We can't fill the seats...recruits notice that stuff. TCF is a great venue...where are the peeps? My theory....going to the Dome killed the fan base. People go to college football games for a college football vibe. The Metrodump lost that completely.

Yep; attendance at games is a problem all over. Even Nick Saban is whining about it! Nationwide only 71% of the announced attendance is actually in the stadium.

Going to the Dome isn't a bad theory and certainly a part of it. Though losing on such a consistent basis was a bigger problem. Fans don't like paying to see their team lose. Oh, and November attendance probably was boosted by being indoors.

Going WAY back to Memorial Stadium days, the Gophers averaged about 50k for Big Ten games. They often had to fill 15 to 25 thousand seats on a regular basis at HHH. At TCF, where capacity is 50,800 (with a couple of years at 53k) until 2016 they averaged 47+ for every season at TCF.

That means they've had thousands and thousands less seats to "give away". Tickets prices (included that forced donation) have skyrocketed but so has revenue.

Also means that Iowa and Wisconsin fans who live in the Metro haven't shown-up in the numbers they did at the Dome. Not a lot of available seats. Turns out that unlike Cornhusker fans, Hawkeye and Badger fans are pretty cheap too.

Here are the attendance numbers for Gopher Football. Capacity for Memorial Stadium was 52,800 until 1970. Then it went to 56,652. The Dome's went from 62,220 in 1982 to 64,000+ by 1995.

https://gophersports.com/sports/2018/5/21/sports-m-footbl-spec-rel-attendance-records-html.aspx

Last edited:

Lying Lou packed it for a year plus too.

I paid $50 per seat to sit in the 2nd deck and watch a non entertaining game last season against Maryland. Add parking and food and you have $400 dropped on something that was not worth it.

How many seats?

How many seats?
I'm not sure it matters, but to answer. Four seats. It was for family to see a game. The experience did not meet the cost associated.
As I said, others may be fine with that cost. I do not begrudge them/you.

I heard a lot of ..."where are they?". If you saw all the empty seats at TCF (on Homecoming no less) you'd have to agree.

One Iowa fan in 208 enjoyed pointing at the empty rows and yelling “Row the boat?”.

I'm not sure it matters, but to answer. Four seats. It was for family to see a game. The experience did not meet the cost associated.
As I said, others may be fine with that cost. I do not begrudge them/you.

It matters because you're saying that you spent $200 for food and parking - that's exceptionally gluttonous and/or poor planning.

I find most fan basis to obnoxious, except for the Gophers, which is a huge part our problem.

I find most fan basis to obnoxious, except for the Gophers, which is a huge part our problem.

I also find Rutgers, Illini, Indiana, and Purdue fans to be friendly as well. I wonder why this is?

It matters because you're saying that you spent $200 for food and parking - that's exceptionally gluttonous and/or poor planning.
Your judgment. Pay for four people's food outside the field and inside the field then get back to me.
Live your life as you wish, dpo.
My point is that the entertainment value at TCF Bank Stadium is currently not equal to the price being asked. If it was...the stadium would be packed.
Either the University changes its marketing and game day experience or it sees empty seats in the stadium. That's just a fact. How you personally judge my decisions is irrelevant as I am not judging your decisions.

The Iowa fans by us were actually pretty decent. I went into the game ready to leave at the drop of a hat (I had a bad week and was NOT looking forward to the game). I ended up having a good experience with the exception of a couple of gals that came by late in the game to mock my buddy (weren't sitting by us).

The ones by me cheered for their team, cheered for things to not go right for the Gophers. I cheered for my team and for things not to go right for Iowa. At the end of the game, other than those gals that we ran off, we had no issue with anyone.

It sucks that others didn't have it as good as we did. The other stuff I read is closer to my experiences at the Dome (and why I was dreading this game).

Your judgment. Pay for four people's food outside the field and inside the field then get back to me.
Live your life as you wish, dpo.
My point is that the entertainment value at TCF Bank Stadium is currently not equal to the price being asked. If it was...the stadium would be packed.
Either the University changes its marketing and game day experience or it sees empty seats in the stadium. That's just a fact. How you personally judge my decisions is irrelevant as I am not judging your decisions.

My wife and I took our kids to the Miami (OH) game. The cost to feed all four of us at a stadium-adjacent restaurant after the game, as well as snacks/beverages during the game, was about $70.

In case you're missing it, I think you're straight-up lying and using this made-up story as a crutch to complain about ticket prices. If you don't want to go, don't go. No one's forcing you. The price is the price - pay it or don't.

My wife and I took our kids to the Miami (OH) game. The cost to feed all four of us at a stadium-adjacent restaurant after the game, as well as snacks/beverages during the game, was about $70.

In case you're missing it, I think you're straight-up lying and using this made-up story as a crutch to complain about ticket prices. If you don't want to go, don't go. No one's forcing you. The price is the price - pay it or don't.

Look man, i'm not going to the game without my footman.... who else is gonna hold my butler's beer ... !?!?!?

Your judgmental spirit is noted. Are you a republican? [emoji41]

By the way, your last sentence is making my point. The empty seats tell you that many people don't want to go. My reason is...the cost is not worth the benefit.

Last edited:

There were only a few near me, but at the end of the game more were pushing down to be closer to the field (and my seats), and when one of their players had that targeting penalty at the end of the game, they were cheering like they won game 7 of the World Series. I let him know that was classless and he seemed to want to fight me over it. One of my other 2 bad fan interaction experiences at a game was with an Iowa fan in the student section a few years back... My view is their fan base has as many crazies as any fan base I’ve seen.

Actually that kind of reinforces it. New stadiums are always easy to fill (see the Twins)...it's when the novelty wears off that you find out how appealing your brand is. The "shiny new toy" thing wore off at both the Dome and now TCF. The Dome years were also what opened the gates for Badger and Hawkeye fans to come in an swoop up all the tickets. Nothing like being the visitor in your own stadium. Sorry if I sound frustrated...but it is what it is.

I thought the students were great Saturday...where were the thousands of alums who are still close by?

Last edited:

Actually that kind of reinforces it. New stadiums are always easy to fill (see the Twins)...it's when the novelty wears off that you find out how appealing your brand is. The "shiny new toy" thing wore off at both the Dome and now TCF. The Dome years were also what opened the gates for Badger and Hawkeye fans to come in an swoop up all the tickets. Nothing like being the visitor in your own stadium. Sorry if I sound frustrated...but it is what it is.

I thought the students were great Saturday...where were the thousands of alums who are still close by?

Yeah that was a better student turnout than I expected.

I noticed the bars around the stadium were PACKED after kickoff. Like, lines around the block packed. Thinking maybe the weather drove people indoors.

I noticed the bars around the stadium were PACKED after kickoff. Like, lines around the block packed. Thinking maybe the weather drove people indoors.

I ate at Hong Kong Noodle after the game. Damn that place is goooooood.

There were only a few near me, but at the end of the game more were pushing down to be closer to the field (and my seats), and when one of their players had that targeting penalty at the end of the game, they were cheering like they won game 7 of the World Series. I let him know that was classless and he seemed to want to fight me over it. One of my other 2 bad fan interaction experiences at a game was with an Iowa fan in the student section a few years back... My view is their fan base has as many crazies as any fan base I’ve seen.
A USC booster I know said the worse fans he encountered we're the Iowa fans at the 2003 Orange Bowl. The ass whopping Palmer put on them that day was priceless

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yep; attendance at games is a problem all over. Even Nick Saban is whining about it! Nationwide only 71% of the announced attendance is actually in the stadium.

Going to the Dome isn't a bad theory and certainly a part of it. Though losing on such a consistent basis was a bigger problem. Fans don't like paying to see their team lose. Oh, and November attendance probably was boosted by being indoors.

Going WAY back to Memorial Stadium days, the Gophers averaged about 50k for Big Ten games. They often had to fill 15 to 25 thousand seats on a regular basis at HHH. At TCF, where capacity is 50,800 (with a couple of years at 53k) until 2016 they averaged 47+ for every season at TCF.

That means they've had thousands and thousands less seats to "give away". Tickets prices (included that forced donation) have skyrocketed but so has revenue.

Also means that Iowa and Wisconsin fans who live in the Metro haven't shown-up in the numbers they did at the Dome. Not a lot of available seats. Turns out that unlike Cornhusker fans, Hawkeye and Badger fans are pretty cheap too.

Here are the attendance numbers for Gopher Football. Capacity for Memorial Stadium was 52,800 until 1970. Then it went to 56,652. The Dome's went from 62,220 in 1982 to 64,000+ by 1995.

https://gophersports.com/sports/2018/5/21/sports-m-footbl-spec-rel-attendance-records-html.aspx

I read those capacity figures also. I guess they had a lot of temporary seating to accommodate all those crowds of 60,000+ from the late 1930's through the mid-1960's.

I was in section 145. I thought the Iowa fans were just fine. No issues. They were cheering and there was some frindly banter but it was all in good fun and respectful.

Top Bottom