What grade do you give PJ Fleck for coaching in the Iowa game?

What grade do you give PJ Fleck for coaching in the Iowa game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Too many decisions to list I absolutely did not agree with but the idea we played to win doesn't fly for me. Nobody should be rewarded for being stupid.
How is it playing to win when you fair catch the kickoff at the 6 yard line at least twice, so they can place it at the 25 yard line? Iowa returned theirs...to me that is mindset. Like so many things, it tells a story.
Defense was rallying late imo...kick the dang field goal and we would have been behind 7 late. March down, score, go for two as time expires and win the game. That's more my idea of playing to win.
The fake field goal as executed should never have been attempted.
The onside kick was ridiculous. Hey, hey there is 5 minutes to go and we don't want to cheat or deceive you, so hold on a minute, we just want to be sure you know we are going to onside kick in a minute or so here. Aw gee, that didn't work either. Lousy execution from any aspect you analyze all the way to the decision. Show some trust in your defense to get the ball back. Put the pressure on Iowa.
Million decisions I didn't like. We have talent to compete against Iowa.

I don't understand the first part of this. Are you saying the Gophers tipped Iowa off that they were going to do an onside kick? Iowa would have had their hands team on the field no matter how the Gophers lined up there.

The way the defense was playing I think they absolutely had to try for the onside there. Unfortunately onside kicks are harder to recover now because of Ferentz's whining.

What was the most irritating thing was the complete lack of urgency displayed by the team on Offense when they were down by 14+. They've done it too often under this regime. Slow to the line. Running the clock down. Slow to the huddle.

All fine when you're ahead. All very annoying when you're behind.

I was one that voted for F. I was really upset about the fake punt and not calling a TO on Iowa's trick play TD. I would probably give it a D if I voted now.

Voted D. Liked the gameplan to go after Iowa's young DBs. And I'm not an elite football mind, but we must have made some effective adjustments with the front 7 to improve the rush D so much after the Maryland game. Didn't like the fake punt call. Sort of get the no TO on Iowa's trick play, but clearly it didn't pan out. Obviously hindsight is 20/20 on the last two. For me, anytime we win the minimum grade is a C, and if we lose the maximum grade is a C. I don't think coaching was the one thing that lost the game for us, but also think the staff could have done a better job in this one.

I haven't read any of the comments of any of the coaching grade threads this year.

My criteria is pretty simple.

Win = A
Lose = F

B

Frankly, with the large talent divide I thought they did a good job coaching. I think some of the calls were meant to try to win the game rather than not lose badly, which I appreciated. They were risky and didn't work, but I felt like the only reason the Gophers had it as close as they did at the end was due to decent coaching.

If I told you before the game Iowa would only have 108 yards total rushing, the Gophers would have 117 yards (both not including sack yards) and that after an adjustment the offensive line would hold up against the DL of Iowa, I think most people would have thought I was crazy. I thought ZA might become part of the turf before the game. I thought they'd be lucky to get 50 yards rushing with the DL (and LB) from Iowa. Maybe I felt good because I expected so little, but I actually thought the coaches did a good job getting this team ready to play a vastly superior team.

Being a "positive" troller, I would like to offer this grading scheme:
A = Awesome
B = Beautiful
C = Creative
D = Delightful
F = Fantastic
No matter what, we have a winner. Stay strong Gopher elites... [emoji620] [emoji453]

Being a "positive" troller, I would like to offer this grading scheme:
A = Awesome
B = Beautiful
C = Creative
D = Delightful
F = Fantastic
No matter what, we have a winner. Stay strong Gopher elites... [emoji620] [emoji453]

Sounds like socialized youth sports. Who knows, maybe we will get a participation trophy at the end of the year and a trip to Dairy Queen! Yay sub-mediocrity!

Sounds like socialized youth sports. Who knows, maybe we will get a participation trophy at the end of the year and a trip to Dairy Queen! Yay sub-mediocrity!
All I heard was...Dairy Queen!!! [emoji7][emoji509][emoji511][emoji510]

I gave a D, we lost

But I still think Fleck is the guy to elevate our program. No one will confuse our offense with Chip Kelly and Oregon during their peak, but I'm watching a semi comptenent passing game. Still needs work.

Defense is my concern, needs to get better and I'm not sure if it's just talent gap or coaching gap, or both

D or F. Severely outcoached in a winnable game on your home field for your homecoming. If Ohio State beats them as bad as we all think they will, we might not get a BT win this season. Sad after the fast start and good win over Fresno early.

If Ohio State beats them as bad as we all think they will, we might not get a BT win this season.

The outcome of the Ohio State game has zero impact on the remaining 6 Big Ten games.

I credit him for replacing Schlueter at half time. Just watched the first half of this game on tv and I think he allowed five sacks. No disrespect to the young man, but this offense should be quite a bit better with Faalele at that position.

The two special teams plays were really bad. Other than that the team competed.

The term "troll" gets thrown around a lot - and in a lot of cases, people are saying "troll" because the poster gave an opinion they don't agree with. That's not a troll. A troll is someone who deliberately posts on a board hoping to stir up trouble or cause a negative reaction. If I don't agree with a coaching decision, that doesn't make me a troll. If I go on a Wisconsin board and start rumors about Barry Alvarez having sex with farm animals, that makes me a troll.

Or an animal rights activist.

The term "troll" gets thrown around a lot - and in a lot of cases, people are saying "troll" because the poster gave an opinion they don't agree with. That's not a troll. A troll is someone who deliberately posts on a board hoping to stir up trouble or cause a negative reaction. If I don't agree with a coaching decision, that doesn't make me a troll. If I go on a Wisconsin board and start rumors about Barry Alvarez having sex with farm animals, that makes me a troll.

There is an earlier post on this thread explaining that having expectations for the team and then being annoyed if those expectations are not met makes you a troll playing the long game.

The term "troll" gets thrown around a lot - and in a lot of cases, people are saying "troll" because the poster gave an opinion they don't agree with. That's not a troll. 1. A troll is someone who deliberately posts on a board hoping to stir up trouble or cause a negative reaction. 2. If I don't agree with a coaching decision, that doesn't make me a troll. If I go on a 3. Wisconsin board and start rumors about Barry Alvarez having sex with farm animals, that makes me a troll.

1. Yeah and no reason to excuse them, or feed them, either.

2. Missed the posts where people were being called trolls for disagreeing with a coaching decision.

3. True, but pointing out that Barry was caught with a co-ed would make you a historian.

Top Bottom