[POST GAME THREAD] - Iowa defeats Minnesota 48-31

The issue is we can't have our whole defense depend on one play being there. If we need someone like Winfield to stop other teams from scoring, we need 2-3 more Winfields.

Agree, but depth is a huge part of the issue. Rather than being able to plug in a comparable safety when Winfield goes down, we end up having to teach Shenault a new position in 2 weeks.

Other than RT, which is now hopefully addressed, the biggest problem with this team is defensive end. We are seeing more and more of Otomewo, hopefully he continues to improve and can cement himself as a starter.

Agree, but depth is a huge part of the issue. Rather than being able to plug in a comparable safety when Winfield goes down, we end up having to teach Shenault a new position in 2 weeks.

Other than RT, which is now hopefully addressed, the biggest problem with this team is defensive end. We are seeing more and more of Otomewo, hopefully he continues to improve and can cement himself as a starter.

Is poor defense, on the whole. Defense is the foundation of a competitive team. Still think DD could be switched back to DB. He’s being wasted on offense and may be buried going forward. Get talented guys on the field.

After going down 14-0, i was proud of the way the team fought back. It ended up being an entertaining game until almost the end (the Iowa targeting play was really terrible for that time of the game).

The receivers made plays and seeing the improvement with the OL after Faleele came in was very positive.

This second year of Fleck is not as bad as year two of Kill, but there are similarities. This team is more advanced on offense and I still feel the trajectory will be higher than it was with Kill. It is going to take a little time to get the D Line, QB, and OLine to where we can equal some of the better Big Ten West teams. Kill inherited some legit d line guys from Brewster.

It is fun to see the Gophers be aggressive on offense and I think this game will help to improve the downfield passing attack for future games. Zack under-threw many passes probably to give his guys a shot. Some were just too short.

The two special teams plays were bad.

Iowa had a couple of clever offensive plays that fooled our defense. Are they being too aggressive in their pursuit?

Is poor defense, on the whole. Defense is the foundation of a competitive team. Still think DD could be switched back to DB. He’s being wasted on offense and may be buried going forward. Get talented guys on the field.
I was going to post something similar about DD but you beat me to it. If he is willing of course

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Are we going to see a flip-flop in the offense/defense strengths between the Kill and Fleck era? Just asking.

The Gophers simply don't have enough personnel depth that Iowa had on the field yesterday. I mean Smith, Brooks, Winfield (who else is being added to the list) are a hug chunk of play makers missing. Hopefully, things will better next year with the guys coming off red shirts.

The positive that I see is we have a good WR corps to work on. With a stronger revamped O-Line and Smith and Brooks back, I'd expect to see a more potent offense. Let's hope the defense find a way to stay healthy.

I think Schlueter should be red shirted next year. The kid needs to re-focus, and get stronger.

Last edited:

One of the reasons DD came here was because we offered him the chance to play WR.

Having 2 DEs that could provide a pass rush and contain the edge would immediately solve a myriad of issues on defense. I'm not sure if Deion Sanders in him prime could hold up with how long our DBs are being asked to cover.

After going down 14-0, i was proud of the way the team fought back. It ended up being an entertaining game until almost the end (the Iowa targeting play was really terrible for that time of the game).

The receivers made plays and seeing the improvement with the OL after Faleele came in was very positive.

This second year of Fleck is not as bad as year two of Kill, but there are similarities. This team is more advanced on offense and I still feel the trajectory will be higher than it was with Kill. It is going to take a little time to get the D Line, QB, and OLine to where we can equal some of the better Big Ten West teams. Kill inherited some legit d line guys from Brewster.

It is fun to see the Gophers be aggressive on offense and I think this game will help to improve the downfield passing attack for future games. Zack under-threw many passes probably to give his guys a shot. Some were just too short.

The two special teams plays were bad.

Iowa had a couple of clever offensive plays that fooled our defense. Are they being too aggressive in their pursuit?

Have to agree. the tools are in the box. They need to be polished. Faalele and Curtis Dunlap are going to be animals on the offensive line. The RS freshman Andries will develop and be very good. Brooks and Smith back and running behind them, with Ibrahim as well?? Annextad actually looks good when he has protection, and he will continue to develop a longer ball. Bateman, Johnson, Autman-Bell and others behind them can catch the ball. Winfield back and the other DB's gaining experience, and a couple of good looking D linemen redshirting this year, Boye-Mafe, Rieglsberger and others.

As we can see, the timeline Coach Fleck has hinted at appears honest and accurate, and he is really in the best position to know.

Not arguing that he and his staff need to grow into this more than anticipated as well.

The regrouping period is frustrating, but it will be worth it in the end.

One of the reasons DD came here was because we offered him the chance to play WR.

Having 2 DEs that could provide a pass rush and contain the edge would immediately solve a myriad of issues on defense. I'm not sure if Deion Sanders in him prime could hold up with how long our DBs are being asked to cover.

Agreed. The coaches will need to gamble more than we’d like.

My philosophy is - do what you do well - and don't do what you don't do well.

Annexstad's best throws by far are on the inside slants and quick outs. So throw those routes. Maybe once or twice a game try to set up a double move with Bateman or something like that.

but the "heave it down the field and pray" routes have got to go. when he's lobbing it down the field, there's a better chance of an interception than a completion.

And for the luvvagawd, why can't you throw 1 stinkin' pass to a TE or a FB out of the backfield. Other teams do that, and it works for them.

Seriously - I realize Annexstad is not in an ideal situation - but if he doesn't show some real improvement next year, I would not be shocked if there is another starting QB in 202, if not sooner.

I can’t wait for the 202 season... it has the potential to be special.

Fleck said in the press conference they told Annexstad to keep throwing it deep. We needed some explosive plays to win the game.

I can’t wait for the 202 season... it has the potential to be special.

2020. bad proofreading. it's Sunday. I've turned my mind off until I have to go back to work.

And, apropos of nothing, the 202 area code is for Washington, D-C.

Are we going to see a flip-flop in the offense/defense strengths between the Kill and Fleck era? Just asking.

The Gophers simply don't have enough personnel depth that Iowa had on the field yesterday. I mean Smith, Brooks, Winfield (who else is being added to the list) are a hug chunk of play makers missing. Hopefully, things will better next year with the guys coming off red shirts.

The positive that I see is we have a good WR corps to work on. With a stronger revamped O-Line and Smith and Brooks back, I'd expect to see a more potent offense. Let's hope the defense find a way to stay healthy.

I think Schlueter should be red shirted next year. The kid needs to re-focus, and get stronger.

Schlueter has already redshirted.

I was pleasantly surprised we stayed in it that long... seemed like the players could have quit at times, but they kept at it.

I'm not quite on the fire Smith train. He's never really had Winfield in Big Ten play and I'd like to see how it looks with him.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Winfield is a great player but the defense shouldn’t look this bad without him. Smith has been bad at his last two jobs so I’m not nearly as patient with him.

-You don't win many games giving up 48 points.
-Iowa gifted the Gophers 2 TD's, the game wasn't as close at the score would indicate.
-Does Iowa have any WR's?
-ZA is much better when he has time to throw, but those deep balls need to improve.
-Daniel Faalele is the real deal.
-Robb Smith appears to be overmatched in B1G matchups. I know he's a good friend of PJ, but I wouldn't be upset if they had a new DC next season.
-I love the Gophers young WR's, more on the way too.
-The fake punt fooled nobody.
-Where is the pass rush?
-Bowl eligibility is looking questionable.
-Run defense was much improved.
-I don't think we will need to worry about losing PJ Fleck to another team this offseason. In no way do I think he is the wrong guy for the program though.
-The onside kick attempt was horrendus. Don't kickers practice that?
-Antoine Winfield Jr is sorely missed.
-Glen Mason loves Carter Coughlin.

The strip sack wasn’t gifted. That was earned. I would argue we gifted a short field too with the fake punt.

I was going to post something similar about DD but you beat me to it. If he is willing of course

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Which. DD are you referring to?

Demetrius Douglas. Teams like Notre Dame were recruiting him as a DB and he looked really impressive on that side of the ball (albeit in high school). It seems like if he’s only going to play a handful of offensive snaps we have big issues on defense right now. It’s a start.

This would have been a different game with AWjr on the field and Rodney in the backfield. If these guys can get and stay healthy we will have a few fun years ahead of us.

This would have been a different game with AWjr on the field and Rodney in the backfield. If these guys can get and stay healthy we will have a few fun years ahead of us.

Having been a fan for 40+ years all I can say is "maybe". I would like to think that they would make a big difference but you never know. Kind of like "next year we will be better". I've been saying that for way too many years although I had a short run of success a few years ago. Hope PJ can keep recruiting and get these guys to develop. It's time for our run, it's been way too long.

Top Bottom