All Things Robb Smith Thread

The defense is keeping us in games? In the Big Ten, we've played two games. We've been down 14-0 in both games within the first 10 minutes (Iowa did it faster) Drives of 53, 62, 75 and 91 yards. During that time, Maryland had a scoring drive of 2 plays covering 91 yards and Iowa 3 Plays covering 62 yards. We have problems on offense and defense, my friend. Special teams, too.

To me the difference is that we have a trend with Robb Smith that is not good. we're giving up 45 points per game through two games. That's almost double our average from last year and a full 10 points higher than the last two games last year which were abysmal performances against ranked teams. The two teams that have hung 90 points on us combined scored 48 points on us last year. That's an increase of 87.5%. We didn't give up more than 39 points in conference play last year. We've done it twice this year, and chances are good we'll do it again on Saturday.

Our offense has problems, but it's better than it was last year. We've increased our scoring average by 15% vs. our average in 2017 so far, and scored almost as many points against Iowa (31) as we did against the two teams combined last year (34). Granted Iowa was playing without key members of their defense last Saturday, and granted a 15% increase = 22 points/game, but we're still headed in the right direction at least.

So, yeah. I'm complaining about the defense, because it not only sucks, it's getting worse.

Our defensive coordinator gave up equal to or more than 39 twice in 2015 and 2013 and you loved him. Why the double standard?

I love press coverage. But I think you need a pass rush for it to be effective.

+1

Our only pass rusher is Coughlin and he should be playing LB. Our next best pass rusher is a LB in Cashman, and they blitz him plenty.

Our defensive coordinator gave up equal to or more than 39 twice in 2015 and 2013 and you loved him. Why the double standard?

You do know that Claeys doesn't coach here anymore, right? Why do you constantly bring him up? The fact that you looked back and dug that up is just plain sad. Get over it and move on.

Our current D coordinator has led a defense that has given up an average of 40 points per game in the past four big ten games and trending in the wrong direction. Whatever you need to tell yourself to feel safe, go ahead and do it, but it won't change this fact.

And to clarify, the only reason 39 was brought up is that he coached a defense that had zero offensive support last year and kept teams under 39 points, and this year we've yet to be under that.

Last edited:

You do know that Claeys doesn't coach here anymore, right? Why do you constantly bring him up? The fact that you looked back and dug that up is just plain sad. Get over it and move on.

Our current D coordinator has led a defense that has given up an average of 40 points per game in the past four big ten games and trending in the wrong direction. Whatever you need to tell yourself to feel safe, go ahead and do it, but it won't change this fact.

And to clarify, the only reason 39 was brought up is that he coached a defense that had zero offensive support last year and kept teams under 39 points, and this year we've yet to be under that.

Speaking of not getting over it, maybe you should change your signature? Maybe I bring him up because the people who complain the most about Fleck and his staff, were Claeys biggest supporters, like yourself. The ones who only like to remember the Holiday Bowl and pretend that's how his defenses always were. But they weren't, they definitely struggled at times.

Maybe the 'trend' of Smith's defense has more to do with personnel than coaching? The defense looked pretty good when their best overall player in Winfield was playing, and he missed nearly all of the four games you speak of. Last year they struggled to move the ball because they only had 1 competent WR, who didn't play in those last two games. This year they can at leas throw the ball some, but they are now missing their best overall offensive player who they relied on to control the clock and shorten the game. That's now much more difficult when you have to rely on freshman RBs and a young OL.

On top of that they continue to play with an undersized DL, and a depleted secondary that's still recovering from all the players lost during the scandal. Maybe, just maybe, it's not just a coaching issue.

On a positive note, I like the way big OJ Smith is playing the run. Also Otomeo and Renner both made some plays. Maybe the defensive line is improving as the season goes along?

Speaking of not getting over it, maybe you should change your signature? Maybe I bring him up because the people who complain the most about Fleck and his staff, were Claeys biggest supporters, like yourself. The ones who only like to remember the Holiday Bowl and pretend that's how his defenses always were. But they weren't, they definitely struggled at times.

Maybe the 'trend' of Smith's defense has more to do with personnel than coaching? The defense looked pretty good when their best overall player in Winfield was playing, and he missed nearly all of the four games you speak of. Last year they struggled to move the ball because they only had 1 competent WR, who didn't play in those last two games. This year they can at leas throw the ball some, but they are now missing their best overall offensive player who they relied on to control the clock and shorten the game. That's now much more difficult when you have to rely on freshman RBs and a young OL.

On top of that they continue to play with an undersized DL, and a depleted secondary that's still recovering from all the players lost during the scandal. Maybe, just maybe, it's not just a coaching issue.

Your typical, lead with one argument then switch to another. You have no idea what or how I think about the former staff, other than you know I don't agree with how his firing was handled. I do not believe he was the greatest coach of all time and above reproach. If he was still coaching, there would be things I'd be frustrated with, but he's not. I've moved on. I'm looking at the current coaching staff and am not afraid to notice that the emperor, to this point, has no clothes.

I will not change my signature because no matter what PJ Fleck does, the rottenness in the administration will undermine his best efforts, as it has for every coach we've had since at least Lou Holtz. I'm hopeful that Kaler's exit will bring in a new era on that front, but I doubt it. The problems in the U's admin are deep and run throughout the entire school. Have been since long before I was a student there, I don't expect they'll hire anyone with the backbone to fix what's wrong, and if they tried, they'd be run out of town on a rail, I believe.

We do have talent issues. We had them last year, we have them this year (we've had them since before I was an undergrad), and I'm pretty sure we'll be hearing it until every single player on the roster is a hand picked PJ Fleck recruit whether they actually are better (Bateman, Annexstad) or worse. Even then, listening to our friends from Western Michigan, in year 5 we'll still be hearing we're really, really young. Recruiting for this year needs to improve dramatically if we want the current roster situation to change.

I guess the Robb Smith resume isn't fair game to look at and compare his results here to his results elsewhere. Maybe he is the greatest coach ever, he just never had players. Maybe he just isn't very good. I don't like the scheme he's running and the results speak for themselves. Comparing his performance this year, to his performance last year is a reasonable thing to do, unless you're so blind to your faith in PJ Fleck that you can ignore such things. Maybe Smith will get better. I doubt he will. His history suggests that this is the trend he follows.

You point out that our best defensive player has been out. He didn't play in the Iowa game this year or last year. He missed most of the Maryland game both years. His presence would be a factor in the Maryland game as losing him forces in game adjustments, both times, but not in the Iowa game, either year. Given how similar the sitations are, I don't think his presence or lack there of interferes with a comparison between the two years - any missing players that would have helped on "D" this year (Beck, Handy-Holly), aren't are on PJ Fleck and the coaching staff. Maybe there is good reason they're gone. If so, he recruited them, still on him.

You've harped on how undersized we are and how the cupboard was bare when PJ Fleck got here. The team did not get significantly smaller or slower this year, nor are more players playing out of position this year. We still got beaten significantly worse with players that are in his system for the second year. While we have issues, those issues are not significantly different this year compared to last. The biggest difference is that while our offense has a long way to go, it is improving. Our defense is not. And if we had a competent coach, it would be. I'm not grading him on a scale of how do we look compared to Alabama. I'm grading him on his performance against year over year teams we've faced in the Big Ten. He's failing spectacularly.

But go ahead. Keep thinking he's a great coach. These are just my opinions.

Actually Claeys - with his schemes, would be much worse for than Gophers than Smith. But when you are at the bottom of the barrel, how much further can you go? Our defense is bad, mainly by schemes. But then, I don’t think Cleays schemes would make us that much better. Granted injuries have made a difference but then most every team has injuries. Both schemes play soft and expect the offenses to make mistakes , as penalties, missed assignments, poor officiating, etc.. But those teams we have played are well coached and not making those mistakes.

If you throuw out both "year zeros" in order to be fair to the "dumpster fires" people claim both regimes inherited, let's look at Claeys's FOUR years as DC. They gave up 39 or more 4 times in 4 years. Currently, they have given up 39 or more 2 times in 2 games, and yes (I'm a betting man), I think it will be 3 times in 3 games.

I love press coverage. But I think you need a pass rush for it to be effective.

very true. Either you need a dominant DL (see Vikings, MN when Everson was healthy mentally) or blitzes to get home with enough frequency you don't get lunched constantly. You also need some CBs with the chops to pull it off (and I'm not sure we have those)

Some of the ineffective rush can be blamed on the blitz schemes. Certain blitzes can be designed to defeat certain pass pro schemes and vice versa. This is where some of our problems lie; being outschemed/outcoached. We are zigging sometimes while the offense is already zagging.

Actually Claeys - with his schemes, would be much worse for than Gophers than Smith. But when you are at the bottom of the barrel, how much further can you go? Our defense is bad, mainly by schemes. But then, I don’t think Cleays schemes would make us that much better. Granted injuries have made a difference but then most every team has injuries. Both schemes play soft and expect the offenses to make mistakes , as penalties, missed assignments, poor officiating, etc.. But those teams we have played are well coached and not making those mistakes.

Which schemes and why?. Or would it have been his s&c program for some mystery reason you keep to yourself?. I suspect you are just talking out of your rear once again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smith needs to have the CB's play press coverage instead of being 10-11 yds back. Iowa knew this and ran routes and ate us alive all day.

Even the best corners can only cover for so long. Our pass rush has been anemic, which is why you can't really play press coverage.

Do you guys know that you can still press with your corners in cover 2 and 6 easily and safely. (They are zone coverages and don't rely as much on a good pass rush to be effective.)

On a positive note, I like the way big OJ Smith is playing the run. Also Otomeo and Renner both made some plays. Maybe the defensive line is improving as the season goes along?

This is what I'm looking for. Otomewo has been playing more as the season progresses and has the size you need for a B1G DE. Hopefully he can develop the ability to rush the passer and cement himself as one of the DE's. The best scenario imo is for Otomewo and another player (Mafe, Reigelsperger, Okonji, Ahanotu, etc) to emerge as the other DE, and we can have a LB corp of CC, Barber and Martin next year.

In the Iowa game both team’s offenses ran a very similar play. The play was for the DE to go unblocked while the edge offensive player (rb if I recall correctly) to catch a pass in the flat. When Iowa ran it their pass catcher broke off a nice gain. When the Gophers ran it Iowa had a lb or dB fill that zone and make the tackle for a short gain.
Out-schemed on both sides of the ball or maybe out executed.

While I agree that Claeys secondary defense always started soft in games- once he was able to discern if and how the opposing team was attacking them he would often adjust and play press coverage as needed- especially in the 2nd halves. One may say we had the luxury of Murray, BBC et al then but there is young talent at CB now and I'd rather see them go through growing pains rather than getting 10 yard hooked to death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the Iowa game both team’s offenses ran a very similar play. The play was for the DE to go unblocked while the edge offensive player (rb if I recall correctly) to catch a pass in the flat. When Iowa ran it their pass catcher broke off a nice gain. When the Gophers ran it Iowa had a lb or dB fill that zone and make the tackle for a short gain.
Out-schemed on both sides of the ball or maybe out executed.
If Olson doesn't miss block on that screen that play was set up for a huge gain.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Can we just get Fleck to fire Robb Smith now?

I never want to watch a Robb Smith defense again. We don’t understand how to take angles or tackle.

Nebraska has 647 total yards and has averaged 10! ypc.

and the trend (getting worse with scoring D each year)Smith started at Maine and carried with him to Arkansas is showing it's ugliness here.

31, 39 season ends 42, 48, 30, 53 and counting (points given up in our last 6 B1G games

(go ahead and count all of last year....the trend looks even worse b/c the ppg will be lower)

Last edited:

He shouldn't have a job on Monday but I feel like he's here until the end of the year at least.

I don’t see Fleck as a type of guy to fire somebody mid-season. But unless a miracle happens and this defense does a 180 the rest of the season, there is no way he can be back next season.

I don’t see Fleck as a type of guy to fire somebody mid-season. But unless a miracle happens and this defense does a 180 the rest of the season, there is no way he can be back next season.

He is embarrassing the kids on D. Supposed to be big time athletics. Resign or fire. ENOUGH OF A SAMPLE SIZE!

There’s no way you can keep a guy after giving up a historic day to Nebraska. Totally unacceptable to give up 659 yards, 385 on the ground to a winless team. I think I heard this was a Nebraska offensive record vs a power 5 team. Guys look completely lost out there. Preparation is terrible.

I know it’s a bit of a white flag moment and an admittance the boat has a gash in the waterline, but something has to be done. Brutal. Pull the trigger and send a message.

Top Bottom