All Things Robb Smith Thread

I do not trust the Defense at this point. Disappointing.

There’s no way you can keep a guy after giving up a historic day to Nebraska. Totally unacceptable to give up 659 yards, 385 on the ground to a winless team. I think I heard this was a Nebraska offensive record vs a power 5 team. Guys look completely lost out there. Preparation is terrible.

I know it’s a bit of a white flag moment and an admittance the boat has a gash in the waterline, but something has to be done. Brutal. Pull the trigger and send a message.

+1000

You are doing your team and fans a disservice if he is still coaching on Monday.

+1000

You are doing your team and fans a disservice if he is still coaching on Monday.
Right. You'd bench a player for such poor effort. You fire a coach when you give up unprecedented numbers against an 0-6 team.

The D is horrendous. Lacks playmaker and even if Winfield was available not sure that would make a huge difference as there are just way to many problems.

Smith’s job should be in question.

I did not like Smith last year and I like him even less now; his defense gave up massive chunks of yards and long scores, but also let Nebraska stay on the field for long drives and did nothing to disrupt with guys like Cashman. Total waste of talent and he needs to go right now.

As my friends from Arkansas warned me, you will see some moments of hope, then it gets smashed in your face. The schemes are ridiculous, the teaching techniques are unbelievable. He just doesn’t give his defensive people a chance, just a chance, to be successful. And in the end, that’s what coaching is all about. Smith fails on all fronts.(not a pun)

One consideration PJ will be thinking about is decommits if the defensive staff is on the way out. There are some higher rated defensive recruits coming in. Can PJ keep them in the boat? OTOH, the defense is so bad it may be a net gain to start with a clean slate and pray for the best. A conundrum.

I’d guess the prime attraction to recruits is PJ. Maybe will lose a few.

Do college coaches change D-coordinators in-season often?

I'd have to think not, but I don't know.

There is also the consideration that he is not all that physically attractive. I have come to grips that we are suppose to support Fleck while we did not Claeys because he is more physically attractive than Claeys despite vastly less on field success, but I don't think I can extend that to Smith because he is just meh...

Gotta say I'm surprised Galty isn't saying we need to wait for our DEs to become Big10 size before we judge smith.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are plenty of playmakers, the playcalling and oveall design suck.

The playing calling and design suck but there are not plenty of playmakers on defense.

Right now there is Coughlin and that’s it.

Okay, when did #36 cease to be a playmaker? k. Martin was a playmaker once, before Smith took over. We keep hearing that Barber is a playmaker, but...

Devers was a playmaker a long time ago, but not now.

The playing calling and design suck but there are not plenty of playmakers on defense.

Right now there is Coughlin and that’s it.

It turns out that it wasn't the case, but early in the preseason and early in the year the linebackers were touted as being a strength. They obviously haven't been so far, but it definitely debatable if that is their fault or coaching.

The prior staff made playmakers out of nobodies. It can be done with the right prep, development, scheme.

Okay, when did #36 cease to be a playmaker? k. Martin was a playmaker once, before Smith took over. We keep hearing that Barber is a playmaker, but...

+ 1000

No wonder Arkansas fired him, his game plan are doo doo.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

...and now I'm watching a Tracy Claeys coached defense stifle Oregon...
Ain't that a kick in the nads...

There are plenty of playmakers, the playcalling and oveall design suck.
Agreed, trying to funnel tackles to safeties that cannot run, and set the edge of defense with CB that cannot tackle will not work.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

It’s only a kick in the junk if he was a head coach. Claeys was a good defensive coach but sucked ass as a head coach.

We never fired Claeys as a DC. Everyone is in agreement that he is a good DC.

Devers made a couple of splash plays three years ago.

This D is not loaded with playmakers. The notion that it is is way off.

Ladies and gentleman,
Robb Smith's defenses at Arkansas got worse every single year. It was horrifying when Fleck hired him.
It will be horrifying when more of he's here after this year.

Jay Sawvel is available. Get him back. Make peace, whatever. He puts DBs in the damn NFL.

GET. HIM. BACK.

I’m not defending Smith, but here goes...

Cashman plays well when he knows where he is going prior to the snap. He’s not great if he has to read and react.

Martin played sparingly as a freshmen and has played more and improved each year. He still struggles, but I don’t remember the Kamal Martin glory days of yesteryear.

As for Devers, really? He had one game with a few sacks against CSU.

If you can't slow people down on defense unless you are loaded with playmakers, then you have to go to Ohio State or Alabama and let them know you are a perfect fit for a defense with a dozen or so NFL prospects and hope they will hire you.

Ladies and gentleman,
Robb Smith's defenses at Arkansas got worse every single year. It was horrifying when Fleck hired him.
It will be horrifying when more of he's here after this year.

Jay Sawvel is available. Get him back. Make peace, whatever. He puts DBs in the damn NFL.

GET. HIM. BACK.

0% chance Minnesota brings back Sawvel.

Top Bottom