All Things Robb Smith Thread

There are a lot of reasons why he might do that, just because it’s not common doesn’t mean there’s not a reason, and a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, but a coach in demand isn't going to take a ~70% pay cut. Every other departure from Fleck's staff last year received a promotion. Paup was the only one who took a huge demotion.

Sure, but a coach in demand isn't going to take a ~70% pay cut. Every other departure from Fleck's staff last year received a promotion. Paup was the only one who took a huge demotion.

Do you realize he made millions in the NFL don't you? I'm not sure a pay cut to him is something he worries about like most of us would. Hell, even "common folk" like us take pay cuts to get out of jobs/places you can't stand!

His net worth is estimated at 22 milliion.

Last edited:

What about Ed W.? Didn't know an offensive analyst was a promotion from OL coach. Even getting the OL job at scUM isn't a promotion from where he was here, because he got the job only because the OL coach decided to leave.

He might or might not take that kind of pay cut, demand or no. There might have been a good reason for ending up back to UNI. I can think of 5 off the top of my head that have nothing to do with his coaching ability or that anything was wrong at Minnesota. He's in a financial position to have the freedom and flexibility to make those kinds of decisions. Something I'd not be in a position to do, but wish I was.

Are people actually implying that Paup left on his own to go to UNI?

What about Ed W.? Didn't know an offensive analyst was a promotion from OL coach. Even getting the OL job at scUM isn't a promotion from where he was here, because he got the job only because the OL coach decided to leave.

He is still an OL coach... I think he got hired for that job, just waited it out... and sadly yeah UM to UM is a promotion.

Warinner is the offensive line coach at Michigan making 525k this year. He made 375k here last year. He's making 150k more at a helmet school. Yes that is a promotion.

Warinner is the offensive line coach at Michigan making 525k this year. He made 375k here last year. He's making 150k more at a helmet school. Yes that is a promotion.

Now. He didn't leave here and get the OL job. He signed on as an offensive analyst for 250k. That is not a promotion. He took a step back and then when someone else left he was given the OL job and the better salary.

Now. He didn't leave here and get the OL job. He signed on as an offensive analyst for 250k. That is not a promotion. He took a step back and then when someone else left he was given the OL job and the better salary.

You think he really left here to be an analyst at Michigan? :rolleyes:

Are people actually implying that Paup left on his own to go to UNI?

Unless you know the real story (please share) then yeah, it’s feasible. He’s not hurting for money, and perhaps there are family issues that make him want to stay in Iowa.

Robb Smith isn't the problem. The problem is years of inadequate recruiting on the defensive line. It's embarrassing how bad Claeys and Kill did there. And the youth in the secondary is going to get burned. A lot.

Depends how you look at it. Our guys got beat under Claeys and Sawvell because we often didn't have as good as athletes as our opponents, but they usually were in the right spot and made the tackles if they were there, just sometimes a step slow and pound short. With this staff there is often opposing players running wide open. Maybe when we get better athletes we'll not have breakdowns and confusion, but I am suspicious of that logic.

Depends how you look at it. Our guys got beat under Claeys and Sawvell because we often didn't have as good as athletes as our opponents, but they usually were in the right spot and made the tackles if they were there, just sometimes a step slow and pound short. With this staff there is often opposing players running wide open. Maybe when we get better athletes we'll not have breakdowns and confusion, but I am suspicious of that logic.
Bad coaching is bad coaching no matter the athlete.
I know Arkansas fans said we were getting a bad coach. Is that true or are we just making young mistakes?

Bad coaching is bad coaching no matter the athlete.
I know Arkansas fans said we were getting a bad coach. Is that true or are we just making young mistakes?

Just bad posters asking bad questions and making things up. Get a life.

A lot of those linebackers and defensive backs who were a step slow are now in the NFL. I think they had good athletes (not necessarily ranked high, but scouted well), and coached them well. You can do both.

I think it's more than fair to say that we all preferred Tracy Claeys' 'throw everything and the kitchen sink at the QB and play really fast on the corners' philosophy, but I really don't think our defense has been the (or even a) problem this year.

It certainly was against Maryland but they balled out against Fresno, and there is no way you could force me to say that the defense played poorly last week.
They were backed up in their own half for most of the game due to piss poor special teams play and questionable coaching decisions.

I can't think of a single coverage bust last week (which used to happen aaaaallll the time under Claeys. There were a lot of soft zone give-ups, but I think that's just a feature of our defensive scheme, not a personnel issue.

We'll see what happens this week against OSU, but I have a hard time seeing us move the ball against them. Our defense may be the lone bright-spot worth watching in that game if they can shutdown the run like the did last week.

Put another way.
All 6 Iowa touchdowns game on drive with fewer than 75 yards to go.
Minnesota only got the ball with fewer than 75 yards to go 5 times.
2 of Minnesota's touchdowns came from defensive turnovers that gave them field position inside Iowa's 10 yard-line.

Iowa was a complete offensive and special teams failure. The only reason we were even in the game was defense.

Last edited:

I think it's more than fair to say that we all preferred Tracy Claeys' 'throw everything and the kitchen sink at the QB and play really fast on the corners' philosophy, but I really don't think our defense has been the (or even a) problem this year.

It certainly was against Maryland but they balled out against Fresno, and there is no way you could force me to say that the defense played poorly last week.
They were backed up in their own half for most of the game due to piss poor special teams play and questionable coaching decisions.

I can't think of a single coverage bust last week (which used to happen aaaaallll the time under Claeys. There were a lot of soft zone give-ups, but I think that's just a feature of our defensive scheme, not a personnel issue.

We'll see what happens this week against OSU, but I have a hard time seeing us move the ball against them. Our defense may be the lone bright-spot worth watching in that game if they can shutdown the run like the did last week.

Put another way.
All 6 Iowa touchdowns game on drive with fewer than 75 yards to go.
Minnesota only got the ball with fewer than 75 yards to go 5 times.
2 of Minnesota's touchdowns came from defensive turnovers that gave them field position inside Iowa's 10 yard-line.

Iowa was a complete offensive and special teams failure. The only reason we were even in the game was defense.

How many drugs do you do? Just curious.

3rd down conversions? 11 for 19?
Blitz’s never getting to the QB?
Busted coverage on the long Marrisette TD?
Lack of a pass rush throughout the game?
No answer for the QB rollout.

Agreed offensive play calling in the 4th quarter was atrocious.

Not kicking it in back of end zone after pulling to within 7, awful. Kick coverage has been worse than average this year. That one was particularly awful. Had him pinned in the corner.

How many drugs do you do? Just curious.

Half of our points came off of turnovers inside the ten yard line and y'all are bitching about the defensive coordinator. You might think I'm on drugs, but y'all must be drunk all game long.
Minnesota's offense has been getting bailed out by their punter all season and their punter was atrocious on Saturday. Half of Iowas first half drives started at the 50.

That's not on the defense. That's on the offense. If you're not going to punt well then you sure as hell better not go for negative yards on your first two drives.

Minnesota has the worst offense in the big 10 outside of Rutgers and you're bitching about the only thing that's keep them in games. Ridiculous.

Last edited:

I won’t argue the offense is impotent although there are glimmers of passing competence at times which is fascinating to us.

When you give up 300+ rushing yards and have breakdowns all over the field can’t claim a good defense.

There were breakdowns vs Iowa and the third down calls were bad. Agree the offense didn’t help them out with all the turnovers. We have to hope Smith will get things figured out and coach them up. Lots of new players out there or in different positions.

color me unimpressed with robb smith. When you have a guy playing 10 yards off the receiver on a 4th and 2 thats coaching/scheme. What the hell was he thinking.

Half of our points came off of turnovers inside the ten yard line and y'all are bitching about the defensive coordinator. You might think I'm on drugs, but y'all must be drunk all game long.
Minnesota's offense has been getting bailed out by their punter all season and their punter was atrocious on Saturday. Half of Iowas first half drives started at the 50.

That's not on the defense. That's on the offense. If you're not going to punt well then you sure as hell better not go for negative yards on your first two drives.

Minnesota has the worst offense in the big 10 outside of Rutgers and you're bitching about the only thing that's keep them in games. Ridiculous.

If you are on drugs then I probably am too because I agree with you on your points.
Might have to add the specials teams cost the team a lot of points and like you said field position.

Robb Smith isn't the problem. The problem is years of inadequate recruiting on the defensive line. It's embarrassing how bad Claeys and Kill did there. And the youth in the secondary is going to get burned. A lot.

So you are saying we are going to get.......Kill'd.......all year long. :cool02:

Smith needs to have the CB's play press coverage instead of being 10-11 yds back. Iowa knew this and ran routes and ate us alive all day.

The defense is keeping us in games? In the Big Ten, we've played two games. We've been down 14-0 in both games within the first 10 minutes (Iowa did it faster) Drives of 53, 62, 75 and 91 yards. During that time, Maryland had a scoring drive of 2 plays covering 91 yards and Iowa 3 Plays covering 62 yards. We have problems on offense and defense, my friend. Special teams, too.

To me the difference is that we have a trend with Robb Smith that is not good. we're giving up 45 points per game through two games. That's almost double our average from last year and a full 10 points higher than the last two games last year which were abysmal performances against ranked teams. The two teams that have hung 90 points on us combined scored 48 points on us last year. That's an increase of 87.5%. We didn't give up more than 39 points in conference play last year. We've done it twice this year, and chances are good we'll do it again on Saturday.

Our offense has problems, but it's better than it was last year. We've increased our scoring average by 15% vs. our average in 2017 so far, and scored almost as many points against Iowa (31) as we did against the two teams combined last year (34). Granted Iowa was playing without key members of their defense last Saturday, and granted a 15% increase = 22 points/game, but we're still headed in the right direction at least.

So, yeah. I'm complaining about the defense, because it not only sucks, it's getting worse.

Last edited:

The defense is keeping us in games? In the Big Ten, we've played two games. We've been down 14-0 in both games within the first 10 minutes (Iowa did it faster) Drives of 53, 62, 75 and 91 yards. During that time, Maryland had a scoring drive of 2 plays covering 91 yards and Iowa 3 Plays covering 62 yards. We have problems on offense and defense, my friend. Special teams, too.

To me the difference is that we have a trend with Robb Smith that is not good. we're giving up 45 points per game through two games. That's almost double our average from last year and a full 10 points higher than the last two games last year which were abysmal performances against ranked teams. The two teams that have hung 90 points on us combined scored 48 points on us last year. That's an increase of 87.5%. We didn't give up more than 39 points in conference play last year. We've done it twice this year, and chances are good we'll do it again on Saturday.

So, yeah. I'm complaining about the defense, because it not only sucks, it's getting worse.

+1
I know you're talking a trend with us, BUT the trend we are seeing isn't something new for him as a DC. (see post #14)

I love press coverage. But I think you need a pass rush for it to be effective.

Top Bottom