All Things Robb Smith Thread

per Chipper:

Fleck gave Smith a public vote confidence as part of a meandering answer that included a straw man argument.

“I have 100 percent faith in every single one of our coaches,” Fleck said. “I’m the one that knows all of the internal things that we have to deal with every single day with what’s the program looking like internally. …

http://www.startribune.com/youth-ca...ers-defensive-meltdown-at-nebraska/498128271/

Go Gophers!!

He's as good as gone for sure.

I’m not a big fire the coach kind of guy, but this one hurts. PJ has to explore replacing him. I know we have a first year DL and DB coach, but it’s on PJ and Robb to hire to fit that scheme

Who has the responsibility of coaching the linebackers? They have regressed a lot under Fleck. Martin, Cashman, and Barber have both proven they can be very good linebackers. Now it seems like they are always out of position and missing tackles.

Who has the responsibility of coaching the linebackers? They have regressed a lot under Fleck. Martin, Cashman, and Barber have both proven they can be very good linebackers. Now it seems like they are always out of position and missing tackles.

Take a guess........Robb Smith
To be fair, it's only the ILBs he coaches

Once think O babe not I I'm those strong I'd chat shot spellchecker really sucks.

I doubt it will happen, but if Fleck knew any better he would dismiss Robb Smith by Monday morning. This defense has 9 upperclassmen starting, and not a single one of them looked prepared for what Nebraska ran today. Missing tackles is one thing, but players were out of position and left to guess. That's horrible coaching. They can make the plays if they're put in position to do so, but something is lacking in preparation. Our linebackers are getting destroyed, and there's zero pressure on the QB. Not acceptable.

I get that Nebraska has athletes, but there's also a reason they entered the game 0-6. Today: 653 total yards, 7 TDs, 9 yards per freaking play. What the hell did you talk about in defensive team meetings all week??

I knew this wasn't the year to have expectations for this program, but this is embarrassing.

With contributions like this one, 169 posts is not nearly enough. (Not being snarky.)

Robb Smith resume:

Coaching Experience
2017-present: Minnesota - Defensive Coordinator / Linebackers
2014-17: Arkansas - Defensive Coordinator / Secondary
2013: Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Linebackers
2012: Rutgers - Defensive Coordinator / Secondary
2011: Rutgers - Special Teams Coordinator / Linebackers
2010: Rutgers - Special Teams Coordinator / Cornerbacks
2009: Rutgers - Special Teams Coordinator / Outside Linebackers
2006-08: Maine - Assistant Head Coach / Defensive Coordinator
2005: Maine - Special Teams / Linebackers
2002-04: Maine - Defensive Backs
1999-2001: Iowa - Quality Control / Defensive Graduate Assistant

Pretty solid for any level. Maybe the players just really suck.

Robb Smith resume:

Coaching Experience

Can't seem to hold a job.

Jeff Brohm at Purdue did not have a "Year Zero" last year.

Somehow, he and his two Co-Defensive Coordinators Nick Holt (Co-DC/Linebackers) and Anthony Pointdexter (Co-DC/Secondary) are/were able to mold the mostly Darrell Hazell recruits from the get-go. They actually do have a better situation because they have 5th Year Senior David Blough and other talented QBs compared to the situation with the Gophers.

They just upset Ohio State, and are poised to challenge for the Big Ten West Title in the near future if not this year. They have eclipsed PJ Fleck in recruiting.

Tracy Claeys had a pretty decent Defensive Team although now is pretty thin due to graduation, transfers, and injuries.

To be fair, I believe Darrell Hazell left the larder full.

So, what is it that the Gophers defense are being blown out in Big Ten play? Is it dearth of talent, depth, or coaching? The way things are, it is conceivable that the Gophers will finish 0-9 in conference play.

How do you fix the defense and do it fast? I am not asking for a lights out shut down defense. Just that they respectable.

Last edited:

Thoughts from this entire thread

1. Everyone agrees with the fact Smith is awful and needs to go.
2. For those saying Winfield probably wouldn't make much of a difference are completely mistaken. Tackling from our DB's are horrible, and winfield is very good at that. Winfield also probably takes away half the big plays and makes the jobs easier for every other player on that defense.
3. Who really cares how Claey's defense is doing. Everyone knows he's a great defensive coach. Its not shocking to any Gopher fans.

Its disappointing that our defense can't give this team a chance. Our offense is young, and it doesn't help that they feel like they need to score every possession to have a chance. We do have some talent on defense, but we also have some limitations with our DB's. The fact that Smith can't find ways to utilize our strengths shows he's not the guy for this job. Every coach can look good with good players around them, but the real ones shine when they can do good things with less talent.

Correct. 2 of the first 3 Long TDs WR and TE block down Durr left with no blocker and carrier coming right at him completely whiffs on both TDs. U also need kids to make plays when there supposed to. But yes Smith is terrible.

If u look at all preseason offseason threads we said we wouldn’t be able to run nobody to replace Richardson. Well we have found out we still have no one who replaced Richardson. We still need players!

Robb Smith resume:

Coaching Experience

So if we get Smith a dozen or so 4 and 5 stars we should be in good shape. Okay, we'll get right on that.

Correct. 2 of the first 3 Long TDs WR and TE block down Durr left with no blocker and carrier coming right at him completely whiffs on both TDs. U also need kids to make plays when there supposed to. But yes Smith is terrible.

If u look at all preseason offseason threads we said we wouldn’t be able to run nobody to replace Richardson. Well we have found out we still have no one who replaced Richardson. We still need players!

I agree with this take.

Smith has to be better but in football when the unblocked man whiffs there isn’t much a coach can do other than run tackling drills

Robb Smith resume:

Coaching Experience

I don't think it's the players:

He's been a DC 3 times: Maine 2006-08, Rutgers 2012, Arkansas 2014-16

Scoring Defense:
Maine ppg: '06=11.1 '07=20.7 '08=21.1 GOT WORSE every year

Arkansas ppg: '14= 19.2 (10/128) '15= 27.4 (68/128) '16= 31.1 (85/128) GOT WORSE every year

Now, there are other factors that go into scoring defense such as offensive turnovers in minus field position, lack of a decent O, strength of opposiiton etc. However, I think there is more than enough concern from the above stats, we have a legitimate reason to worry this could be as good as it gets with him!!!!!

I think Martin and Barber are both a step too slow. Maybe a different scheme would help, but they are kind of throwback guys to an earlier era. I agree that LB play has regressed. I think the other problem--at least to me--is Coughlin is the best LB on the team and the problem is he isn't really playing LB.

I think Martin and Barber are both a step too slow. Maybe a different scheme would help, but they are kind of throwback guys to an earlier era. I agree that LB play has regressed. I think the other problem--at least to me--is Coughlin is the best LB on the team and the problem is he isn't really playing LB.

I'm not sure Coughlin is a better LB. He is a straight ahead type of guy IMO. I'm not sure he is a lateral, side to side, cover the pass type guy. I think he is where he fits best.

Maybe you are right but I think the issue lies more with the d line when it comes to the front 7. I think the linebackers are still the strongest part of this weak defense.

I feel like they are doing to the defense like they did last year on offense. They are really trying to redshirt guys in the front 7. We everyone be patient enough to see where it goes is the question? It will be interesting to see how Fleck handles having his feet held to the fire on the defensive side of the ball.

I feel like they are doing to the defense like they did last year on offense. They are really trying to redshirt guys in the front 7. We everyone be patient enough to see where it goes is the question? It will be interesting to see how Fleck handles having his feet held to the fire on the defensive side of the ball.

If this is true, that they are not playing guys who are better so they can redshirt, then he should be fired immediately.
The best player should be the one on the field at every single position. If that player gets injured, then the next person out on the field should be the second best player at that spot.
What player on the field is going to play as hard as they can knowing the coaches are not putting their best effort into winning games?

Does it make any sense to fire Smith before the season ends? If they do, who steps into that spot.

Does it make any sense to fire Smith before the season ends? If they do, who steps into that spot.

Rossi was DC at Rutgers 2014-15, so he at least has experience as DC.

Probably wouldn't change much either way for the results this season, but at least you can send a message that fans and recruits that really, really, really bad coaching will be held accountable.

If this is true, that they are not playing guys who are better so they can redshirt, then he should be fired immediately.
The best player should be the one on the field at every single position. If that player gets injured, then the next person out on the field should be the second best player at that spot.
What player on the field is going to play as hard as they can knowing the coaches are not putting their best effort into winning games?
Not necessarily better players who have RS. More likely not ready to play right now. For example, they have RS on Umlor with plan for him to put on mass and be better prepared to play in the trenches. No reason to toss them to the wolves if they are not ready to play at this level.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not necessarily better players who have RS. More likely not ready to play right now. For example, they have RS on Umlor with plan for him to put on mass and be better prepared to play in the trenches. No reason to toss them to the wolves if they are not ready to play at this level.

Isn't the real question whether the staff can develop and prepare them?

If the plan is to RS so not to mortgage the future for the now then no he shouldn’t be immediately fired. Fleck has consistently went with that message.

I think playing the Olineman they wanted to RS shows they’re not giving up the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tyrone Carter...[emoji41][emoji39]

How would this board react when he goes onto the field before the Wisc. game and forfeits and tries to give Chryst a lecture for all that has happened to us in this losing streak to them? :p

Umlor had a good year last year for being thrown in at DE. He struggled a little early but as the year went on was playing better and better. Found it surprising that they moved him inside this season as I think they could use another bigger body out on the edge and he had the experience already.

Umlor had a good year last year for being thrown in at DE. He struggled a little early but as the year went on was playing better and better. Found it surprising that they moved him inside this season as I think they could use another bigger body out on the edge and he had the experience already.

After watching Indiana against Peen State, I’m not sure we can handle the Indiana offense. Any poll on how many yards Indiana will get? I would bet it will be more than 450 yards.

Top Bottom