STrib: Scott Frost's Nebraska struggles are another reminder Power Five turnarounds

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

Frost, Nebraska’s first-year coach and former national championship-winning Cornhuskers quarterback, knew that the rebuilding job in Lincoln would take time. But the process has been especially painful for the Big Red faithful, with the 0-4 Huskers being the only winless team in the Big Ten.

Frost did not hide his frustration following Saturday’s 42-28 home loss to Purdue in the conference opener.

“We looked like one of the most undisciplined teams in the country, and it kills me because it isn’t like we’re not giving them messages. It isn’t like we’re not trying to hold them accountable,” he said.

Particularly irking to Frost were the 11 penalties for 136 yards. He also had an issue with some of his players’ conduct.

“We can’t get holding calls on interceptions and then talk trash to their sideline and start dancing on the field,” he fumed. “When we’re down 13 points and we’ve got backups and reserves dancing on our sideline before kickoffs, they look like they love losing.”

Frost inherited a team that went 4-8 under former coach Mike Riley, and while Frost said he has “a bunch of guys who are warriors, a bunch of guys who didn’t stop fighting,” he knows that not everyone has bought in to his culture. And Tuesday, backup wide receiver Tyjon Lindsey, a former top-50 national recruit brought in by Riley, decided to transfer.

Bad habits, Frost knows, don’t change overnight.

“When you’re building a new house, you can’t build it on a bad foundation or you won’t have a house very long,” he said. “We had some rot and some termites, and we still do, and we have to get all of that cleaned out.”

http://www.startribune.com/scott-fr...r-power-five-turnarounds-take-time/495224691/

Go Gophers!!

per STrib:

Frost, Nebraska’s first-year coach and former national championship-winning Cornhuskers quarterback, knew that the rebuilding job in Lincoln would take time. But the process has been especially painful for the Big Red faithful, with the 0-4 Huskers being the only winless team in the Big Ten.

Frost did not hide his frustration following Saturday’s 42-28 home loss to Purdue in the conference opener.

“We looked like one of the most undisciplined teams in the country, and it kills me because it isn’t like we’re not giving them messages. It isn’t like we’re not trying to hold them accountable,” he said.

Particularly irking to Frost were the 11 penalties for 136 yards. He also had an issue with some of his players’ conduct.

“We can’t get holding calls on interceptions and then talk trash to their sideline and start dancing on the field,” he fumed. “When we’re down 13 points and we’ve got backups and reserves dancing on our sideline before kickoffs, they look like they love losing.”

Frost inherited a team that went 4-8 under former coach Mike Riley, and while Frost said he has “a bunch of guys who are warriors, a bunch of guys who didn’t stop fighting,” he knows that not everyone has bought in to his culture. And Tuesday, backup wide receiver Tyjon Lindsey, a former top-50 national recruit brought in by Riley, decided to transfer.

Bad habits, Frost knows, don’t change overnight.

“When you’re building a new house, you can’t build it on a bad foundation or you won’t have a house very long,” he said. “We had some rot and some termites, and we still do, and we have to get all of that cleaned out.”

http://www.startribune.com/scott-fr...r-power-five-turnarounds-take-time/495224691/

Go Gophers!!
I love how coaches reveal how little they care about the people they are coaching. The kids aren't human beings... they're "termites."
Frost isn't the only coach to do this. It seems every coach, who comes in to run a program, talks in this non-personal, inhumane fashion. It's really a shame when coaches speak this way. It's quite hypocritical, in my opinion.

Frost tells his team to stop dancing.
Fleck tells his team to have fun ("practice like professionals, play like kids").

I love how coaches reveal how little they care about the people they are coaching. The kids aren't human beings... they're "termites."
Frost isn't the only coach to do this. It seems every coach, who comes in to run a program, talks in this non-personal, inhumane fashion. It's really a shame when coaches speak this way. It's quite hypocritical, in my opinion.

No sheeett..

Frost tells his team to stop dancing.
Fleck tells his team to have fun ("practice like professionals, play like kids").

What he told his team is quit dancing when you are getting your a$$ handed to you. He has kids that are fine with losing and he doesn't like that.

So Frost went on the record saying "This isn't year zero!" Looks like he was right, maybe year -1.

Nebraska will never be more than a mid level BIG team. Their championship years are over for a long time.

Serious query. Would you prefer he used a simile and say we have players who are acting like termites rather than metaphorically call them termites? I ask because I think his analogy is spot on about his players who are rotting and compromising the program from inside.

It will be interesting to see if Nebraska can ever return to a sustained level of greatness. Perhaps they can but as it is I see their new ceiling to be an Iowa type program that with good coaching, can occasionally win a division championship and compete for a conference championship, with lots of 7-5 or 8-4 type seasons mixed in between. They have a solid fan base (although they have 20,000 more seats to fill than their new equal rival - Iowa) and I'm sure they will remain committed to spending on facilities and coaches.

Next thing you know he’ll be yelling at players for screwing up or letting the team down - gasp.

Coaches talk about stuff like this all the time. PJ has talked about how he has “x” number of guys that can play on the offensive line. Ciarrocca has talked about how the WR corps was horrific last year. I’d imagine all the guys outside of the favored groups get their feelings hurt from time to time. Not everyone can win.

Serious query. Would you prefer he used a simile and say we have players who are acting like termites rather than metaphorically call them termites? I ask because I think his analogy is spot on about his players who are rotting and compromising the program from inside.
I think he stays silent with the public and deals with each person as is required. The process he is using is to put all the blame on 18-21 year olds while deflecting any blame away from himself.
For me, that's cowardly on Frost's part and disrespectful to the team as a whole.

I think he stays silent with the public and deals with each person as is required. The process he is using is to put all the blame on 18-21 year olds while deflecting any blame away from himself.
For me, that's cowardly on Frost's part and disrespectful to the team as a whole.

I know you’re not talking about PJ and perhaps you’re against him as well, but again PJ called out Demry and McGhee publicly. Kill had the loafer jerseys. Saban routinely says his team isn’t good enough and I’ve seen him rip on players.

I just don’t think it’s outside the realm of normal for people to be chastised publicly if they let the team down.

I know you’re not talking about PJ and perhaps you’re against him as well, but again PJ called out Demry and McGhee publicly. Kill had the loafer jerseys. Saban routinely says his team isn’t good enough and I’ve seen him rip on players.

I just don’t think it’s outside the realm of normal for people to be chastised publicly if they let the team down.

To me it's not about calling them out, it's the level of dignity and respect in which you do so.
It's one thing to say that the culture isn't for everybody and that those that do not meet the standards of that culture will not play. It's another to say that players are insects that are rotting the team from within.

I guess I take exception when these young men are called names that make them out to be less than human. Saying a kid is a "termite" rather than saying there are players who are not fully on board is two different things.
It's the same exception I take with Donald Trump when he belittles another human.

I think this qualifies as faux outrage. It’s goig around.

I don't know why the StarTrib is looking at Nebraska when that game is two weeks away. Let's get everyone fired up to beat Iowa! Anyway, it appears the Huskers have had two players leave the team this week.

I agree. Who is responsible for his team being undisciplined? Who is responsible for the players not taking the game seriously? He could choose to only use players that have the right attitude, it is not like he is risking to lose more games. He seems real immature in his approach in dealing with his team and expectations.

The most mentally weak person in that program is the guy in charge.

Discipline starts from the top down. Frost's UCFs teams also had a huge number of penalties.

He talks a big game.

I have no idea what Frost will end up building at Nebraska, but I'm taking an odd amount of pleasure in watching them lose. I never really cared for Nebraska anyway, but in this case I think part of it is the Gopher fans who were posting on here during the runup to the season talking about how Frost is so amazing because he doesn't talk about Year 0 and believes they can win a B1G championships now, etc -- like that was somehow going to make them better. Guess it made their fans feel better...until they saw the product on the field, at which time they're simply pi$$ed for being fed a line of BS.

Frost is walking into a pressure cooker that is Nebraska. Maybe, he gets a pass for being the native son who got a national championship for Nebraska. If it is any other coach, he will be tar and feathered.

There arequite contrasting styles between Brohm, Fleck, and Frost.

Frost is walking into a pressure cooker that is Nebraska. Maybe, he gets a pass for being the native son who got a national championship for Nebraska. If it is any other coach, he will be tar and feathered.

There arequite contrasting styles between Brohm, Fleck, and Frost.

Big
Ten
Wins.
Will tell the tale.

And sorry if I came across a bit blunt with my prior posts. I think he was making a simple analogy. People can be cancers to an organization and ought to be removed.

Frost could be on the Brawny paper towel pack but he isn’t the most well-spoken guy out there. Will he have success at Nebraska? Dunno, but he has a better (IMO) coaching pedigree than PJ and a more talented roster at the moment. He hasn’t yet proven to be a tool on the level on a Tom Herman, so there’s that.

Please quote the "outrage" in this thread.

People claiming "faux outrage" also appears to be going around.

You seem upset, perhaps outraged. I wouldn’t call it faux in your case. You’re genuinely off the rails at times.

Remember when everyone wanted a coach that talked like Frost during year 1?

Top Bottom