The College Sports Madness Top 44 Projections

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/womens-basketball/top-44-previews

Starting with Indiana #44

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16610

Key Returning Players (starters in bold)

Jaelynn Penn, Sophomore, Guard, 10.8 ppg
Kym Royster, Senior, Forward, 10.2 ppg
Bendu Yeaney, Sophomore, Guard, 8.4 ppg
Keyanna Warthen, Sophomore, Guard, 2.5 ppg
Linsey Marchese, Sophomore, Center, 1.6 ppg
Alexis Johnson, Sophomore, Forward, 0.3 ppg

Key New Players

Grace Berger, Freshman, Guard
Aleksa Gulbe, Freshman, Forward
Ali Patberg, Junior, Guard, Transfer from Notre Dame
Chanel Wilson, Freshman, Guard
Brenna Wise, Junior, Forward, Transfer from Pitt

Projection:
Forward Kym Royster will be the new senior leader of the team. She averaged 10.2 points and 6.0 rebounds last season. Pittsburgh transfer Brenna Wise will be a more than capable replacement for Amanda Cahill. As both a freshman and sophomore at Pitt, Wise led the team in points and rebounds. Jaelynn Penn and Bendu Yeaney were regular starters on the perimeter as freshmen and should emerge as leaders on the floor. Penn is a more dynamic and prolific scorer, but she does need to get more consistent with her outside shot. Coach Moren does not have too much proven depth on this team, but there are options. Notre Dame transfer Ali Patberg joins a trio of freshmen who could make an impact right away. There are also three more sophomores on the roster in Keyanna Warthen, Lindsey Marchese and Alexis Johnson who all earned at least a little bit of experience last season. Indiana has a nice core to build around with Penn, Yeaney, Royster and Wise, but they do need to find some quality depth if they hope to end up on the right side of the bubble.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16635

#36 Ohio State

Makayla Waterman, Senior, Forward, 3.5 ppg
Jensen Caretti, Junior, Guard, 2.4 ppg
Savitha Jayaraman, Sophomore, Forward, 0.5 ppg

Key New Players

Ashanti Abshaw, Senior, Guard, Grad Transfer from Cleveland State
Janai Crooms, Freshman, Guard
Carmen Grande, Senior, Guard, Grad Transfer from Ball State
Dorka Juhasz, Freshman, Forward
Andreana Miller, Senior, Guard, Grad Transfer from La Salle
Aaliyah Patty, Freshman, Forward
Najah Queenland, Senior, Guard, Grad Transfer from Pacific
Carly Santoro, Senior, Guard, Grad Transfer from Bowling Green

Projection:

Ashanti Abshaw averaged 17.1 points per game during her three seasons at Cleveland State. La Salle transfer Andreana Miller is a prolific shooter and connected on 164 three-pointers during her time with the Explorers. Carmen Grande was one of the best point guards in the country during her time with Ball State. Last season she was second in the nation with 9.2 assists per game. Najah Queenland, from Pacific, and Carly Santoro, from Bowling Green, are bigger guards who can help out on the glass. Santoro averaged 12.8 points and 8.7 rebounds last season and will get the opportunity to play a big role with Ohio State. Freshmen Janai Crooms and Aaliyah Patty are highly regarded and should get a chance to be a key part of the team this year. There are a few returning players, most notably Makayla Waterman, who averaged 18.2 minutes per game last season. The 6-2 senior averaged 3.5 points and 3.9 rebounds in 2017-2018 and she will need to emerge as a leader on and off the floor in an effort to bring this large group of newcomers together as quickly as possible. In the end, this Ohio State team has talent and quite a bit of experience too. Eventually the pieces will fit together and that is when the Buckeyes will be a dangerous team.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16639

#34 Nebraska

Hannah Whitish, Junior, Guard, 12.6 ppg
Maddie Simon, Senior, Forward, 10.1 ppg
Kate Cain, Sophomore, Center, 9.9 ppg
Nicea Eliely, Junior, Guard, 8.2 ppg
Taylor Kissinger, Sophomore, Guard/Forward, 10.0 ppg
Grace Mitchell, Junior, Guard/Forward, 2.0 ppg

Key New Players

Leigha Brown, Freshman, Forward
Sam Haiby, Freshman, Guard
Kristian Hudson, Senior, Guard, Grad Transfer from Florida International
Kayla Mershon, Freshman, Forward
Ashtyn Veerbeek, Freshman, Forward

Projection:

Hannah Whitish and Nicea Eilely are back on the perimeter. Whitish led the team with 12.6 points per game and connected on 38.0 percent of her 192 attempts from beyond the arc. Whitish also runs the point and dished out 4.7 assists per game and committed just 2.4 turnovers. With Whitish running the show, Nebraska’s offense will be very dangerous. The addition of Hudson, a transfer from FIU, and freshman point guard Sam Haiby gives the Cornhuskers plenty of depth on the perimeter. Maddie Simon and Kate Cain are back to start in the frontcourt. Simon averaged 10.1 points and 5.3 rebounds, while Cain added 9.9 points and a team high 7.0 rebounds and 3.1 blocks. Cain is just a sophomore and she has already proven to be very dangerous in the paint on both ends of the floor. Taylor Kissinger, a 6-1 wing, is another sophomore who had a very good freshman campaign. She averaged 10.0 points and 4.1 rebounds while mostly coming in off the bench. Ashtyn Verbeek is the team’s top recruit and fellow freshman forward Kayla Mershon should also add some decent depth to the frontcourt. Even with the top five scorers returning, this is a relatively young team and they do need to take smarter shots if they want to compete for a Big Ten title.

The Countdown:

44 Indiana
43 Belmont
42 Kentucky
41 Oklahoma State
40 Dayton
39 Virginia
38 Gonzaga
37 Green Bay
36 Ohio State
35 Georgia Tech
34 Nebraska
33 California
32 LSU
31 West Virginia
30 Central Michigan
29 Oklahoma
28 Michigan
27 Miami
26 Minnesota
25 Florida State
24 Arizona State
23 Texas A&M
22 UCLA
21 Duke
20 Syracuse
19 Marquette
18 South Florida
17 DePaul
16 North Carolina State
15 Iowa
14 Georgia
13 South Carolina
12 Missouri
11 Mississippi State
10 Texas
9 Oregon State
8 Maryland
7 Tennessee
6 Stanford
5 Louisville
4 Baylor
3 Oregon
2 UConn
1 Notre Dame

Last edited:

So according to this site they have predicted conference as the following

7. Indiana
6. Ohio St.
5. Nebraska
1-4. ?

So brings up the question between Iowa, Michigan, Michigan St, Minnesota, and Maryland, which one do they feel really takes a tumble in standings? I would have all these 5 teams over both Ohio St and Indiana if for no other reason what those two teams lost in graduation.

I agree bball. Indiana lost Buss and Cahill. That's a lot of leadership to replace. I was impressed with both Penn and Yeaney last year as they were quality freshmen. It will be interesting to see what McGuff can do with his collection of transfers at OSU. It seems like he got some quality players, however sometimes these new groups mesh and sometimes they don't. I personally think that Nebraska is being a bit underrated and I'm thinking the Huskers will finish below MSU in the BIG. As I recall, MSU lost its post players from last year. I like the point guard McCutcheon (sp?), but because she is so small, I think she may struggle against some of the bigger, more physical guards. Colley is a very good player for MSU. Just my two cents worth. It's good to be talking basketball again.

7. Indiana
6. Ohio St.
5. Nebraska
1-4. ?

So brings up the question between Iowa, Michigan, Michigan St, Minnesota, and Maryland, which one do they feel really takes a tumble in standings? I would have all these 5 teams over both Ohio St and Indiana if for no other reason what those two teams lost in graduation.

I'm guessing Michigan State is out unless they're marking Minnesota down for head coaching inexperience. Yes, I'd have all five higher than Indiana and Ohio State. The Buckeyes have a lot of interesting parts but where's the glue? Maybe Grande who is fun to watch.

I feel Michigan St is probably right up there with Maryland. The only player they lost was Reimer. They return Colley, Cooks, Hollie, McCutcheon, Allen, a top 100 guard recruit Nia Clouden. Also having Gaines. I think this is one of the top 3 teams in the conference.

Last edited:

I also was surprised to see Indiana and OSU on this list and Nebraska so low. I agree MSU will be in the mix, behind Iowa, Maryland Nebraska and the Gophers��

I feel Michigan St is probably right up there with Maryland. The only player they lost was Reimer. They return Colley, Cooks, Hollie, McCutcheon, Allen, a top 100 guard recruit Nia Clouden. Also having Gaines. I think this is one of the top 3 teams in the conference.

Colley looked really good for Team Canada. She likes to drive the length of the court, so better have your transition defense ready.

7. Indiana
6. Ohio St.
5. Nebraska
1-4. ?

Maybe Michigan? With the departure of Flaherty, they lost not only their leading scorer but also their team leader and (usually) point guard.

Yes, I think Michigan is the team that will not be included. I'm guessing that they'll pick Maryland, Iowa, MSU, and Minnesota in that order. Although, as I mentioned before, I think I'd have Nebraska in the top 4.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16664

#28 Michigan

Hallie Thome, Senior, Center, 17.4 ppg
Nicole Munger, Senior, Guard, 9.1 ppg
Hailey Brown, Sophomore, Forward, 9.0 ppg

Deja Church, Sophomore, Guard, 7.0 ppg
Akienreh Johnson, Junior, Guard, 3.8 ppg
Kayla Robbins, Junior, Forward, 3.5 ppg

Key New Players

Amy Dilk, Freshman, Guard
Naz Hillmon, Freshman, Forward
Emily Kiser, Freshman, Forward
Danielle Rauch, Freshman, Guard
Taylor Rooks, Senior, Guard/Forward, Grad Transfer from Harvard
Ariel Young, Freshman, Guard

Projection:

Hallie Thome figures to be the new top scorer after the 6-5 center averaged 17.4 points and a 7.0 rebounds last season. Hailey Brown is ready for a big year after averaging 9.0 points and 5.2 rebounds as a freshman. Those two will give Michigan a solid foundation in the frontcourt. The backcourt will be led by senior guard Nicole Munger. She is a consistent outside shooter who will be expected to take over a big chunk of the outside shooting that left with Flaherty. Deja Church was the top scorer off the bench last season, averaging 7.0 points per game. She is ready to step into the starting lineup, but Coach Kim Barnes Arico is bringing in a lot of talent. Taylor Rooks, a graduate transfer from Harvard who also played at Stanford, has the experience to step in and play a big role right away. There are also four freshmen who are immediately capable of making a big splash. Point guard Amy Dilk is coming off a superb prep career at Carmel High School in Indiana and could run the point from day one. The backcourt will also acquire more options from Ariel Young. The frontcourt needs some options too and will get them from freshmen Naz Hillmon and Emily Kiser. With a nice combination of experience and young talent, this is a Michigan team that could pull off a few surprises along the way. Even if the freshmen do not live up to their potential right away, there is enough experience to compete for an NCAA Tournament berth.

Madness 2019 WNBA Draft Rankings:

#18 Hallie Thome

Madness 2018 Women’s Basketball Recruit Rankings:

#51 Amy Dilk
#58 Naz Hillmon
#90 Ariel Young
#137 Emily Kiser

Michigan was selected 4th in the conference. Who is left out between Maryland, Iowa, MSU, and Minny? Could having a rookie coach in Whalen be enough to not have them in the top 7 according to CSM?

My guess is will be the gophers left out according to this site. However I wouldn't say its necessarily due to Whalen being a rookie coach. I would see it more towards Losing Wagner, one of the main four from last year, and question marks both about who will replace Wagner's scoring and 3-point shooting along with the ever present question about the post game.

Michigan was selected 4th in the conference. Who is left out between Maryland, Iowa, MSU, and Minny? Could having a rookie coach in Whalen be enough to not have them in the top 7 according to CSM?

I could easily be wrong, but I really think they are overrating Michigan. Thome is a very good player, and I like Munger, but I'm not convinced they are anywhere near one of the BIG's five best teams. And yes, the Gophers will probably be the team left out. But I'll still bet the Gophers will finish higher in the standings than the Wolverines. Yes, the Gophers will miss Wagner's 3-point shooting ability, but Hubbard and Pitts can still shoot it...and I also understand that Staples can do so.

I don’t agree that the gophers should be left out as I think they will be a top 3 team in the B10, imo. I like to be the underdog though. Lets give Whalen something to motivate the team.

It’s hard to see either the Gophers or MSU below Indiana.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16668

IT'S:

Minnesota Golden Gophers

Overall Rank: #26
Conference Rank: #3 Big Ten

Minnesota welcomes former Golden Gopher great Lindsay Whalen home as their new head coach to take over for Marlene Stollings, who left for the Texas Tech head coaching job. Whalen walks into a very good situation as Minnesota won 24 games last season and went to the NCAA Tournament. They also play one of the more exciting styles of play in all of women’s college basketball which should continue under Coach Whalen.

2017-18 Record: 24-9, 11-5
2017-18 Postseason: NCAA
Coach: Lindsay Whalen
Coach Record: First season at Minnesota

Key Departed Players (starters in bold)

Carlie Wagner, Guard, 18.7 ppg
Jessie Edwards, Center, 5.0 ppg
Bryanna Fernstrom, Center, 3.4 ppg

Kenisha Bell, Redshirt Senior, Guard, 20.0 ppg
Gadiva Hubbard, Junior, Guard, 13.6 ppg
Destiny Pitts, Sophomore, Guard/Forward, 13.3 ppg

Taiye Bello, Junior, Forward, 6.1 ppg
Jasmine Brunson, Junior, Guard, 2.9 ppg
Palma Kaposi, Senior, Forward, 1.1 ppg
Annalese Lamke, Senior, Guard, 1.1 ppg
Irene Garrido-Perez, Senior, Forward, 1.0 ppg

Key New Players

Barbora Tomancova, Freshman, Forward
Delanie Byrne, Freshman, Forward
Mercedes Staples, Freshman, Guard

Projection:

Kenisha Bell is back after averaging 20 points per game last season for the Golden Gophers. Bell also does a great job of distributing the basketball and rebounding as she averaged 5.4 rebounds per game last season. Gadiva Hubbard averaged 13.6 points per game and did a nice job of taking care of the basketball as Hubbard had nearly a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio, which will help in a big way this season as well. Destiny Pitts is a quality outside shooter that should have even more opportunities this year since Minnesota does need to replace the 18.7 points per game with the graduation of Carlie Wagner. The non-conference schedule will provide a good early test for the Golden Gophers on November 29th as they will host Syracuse as part of the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. Now, the conference schedule has a few more landmines as Minnesota will go to Michigan, Nebraska, Indiana, and Maryland. Iowa and Ohio State have to come to Williams Arena which will help the Golden Gophers cause in their quest to win a Big Ten conference championship. Look for the Golden Gophers to win at least 20 games, play better defense under the guidance of Coach Whalen and return to the NCAA Tournament.

Projected Postseason Tournament: NCAA

By the Numbers:

Scoring Offense: 84.9 (5th in nation, 2nd in conference)
Scoring Defense: 74.8 (335, 14)
Field-Goal Percentage: 43.3 (59, 8)
Field-Goal Defense: 42.4 (294, 14)
Three-Point Field Goals Per Game: 9.0 (15,1)
Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage: 37.3 (19, 3)
Free-Throw Percentage: 75.1 (49, 4)
Rebound Margin: 3.6 (84, 5)
Assists Per Game: 16.4 (27, 4)
Turnovers Per Game: 12.5 (29, 2)

#22 Kenisha Bell

#120 Mercedes Staples

Last edited:

MSU must be the one left out. The Gophers travel to them but Spartans are not listed as a “landmine.”

I agree with their prognosis for the Gophers. If they left out MSU, I think that's a mistake. I also think they've overrated Michigan and underrated Nebraska. But it's good to see they are not overlooking our Gophers. IMO, they would have lost credibility if they didn't have the Gophers in the top 44.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16690

At #20 is our first notable challenge of the Whalen era-B1G/ACC Challenge opponent Syracuse:

Syracuse Orange

Overall Rank: #20
Conference Rank: #4 ACC

Syracuse comes into the 2018-2019 season as a team on a bit of a mission as they had a quick exit from the ACC Tournament and the NCAA Tournament, losing to Virginia Tech and Oklahoma State respectively. The Orange return all five starters and 94.5 percent of their offensive production from last season as well. Also, Syracuse brings in a very strong recruiting class which should position the Orange to contend for a top four finish in the ACC if they can stay healthy.

2017-18 Record: 22-9, 10-6
Coach: Quentin Hillsman
Coach Record: 263-136 at Syracuse, 263-136 overall

Jasmine Nwajei, Guard, 2.7 ppg

Tiana Mangakahia, Sophomore, Guard, 17.5 ppg
Miranda Drummond, Redshirt Senior, Forward, 14.9 ppg
Gabrielle Cooper, Junior, Guard, 10.4 ppg
Digna Strautmane, Sophomore, Forward, 10.1 ppg
Amaya Finklea-Guity, Sophomore, Center, 6.7 ppg

Isis Young, Redshirt Senior, Guard, 6.7 ppg
Raven Fox, Senior, Guard, 2.9 ppg
Chelayne Bailey, Junior, Guard, 0.7 ppg

Key New Players

Emily Engstler, Freshman, Guard/Forward
Kiara Lewis, Redshirt Sophomore, Guard
Veronika Vorackova, Freshman, Shooting Guard
Marie-Paule Fopposi, Redshirt Freshman, Forward
Kadiatou Sissoko, Freshman, Guard
Maeva Djaldi-Tabdi, Redshirt Freshman, Forward

Projection:

The schedule is loaded right from the start of the season as Syracuse will head out to Eugene to take on Oregon in the second game of the year. DePaul and Minnesota are also on the non-conference slate in the month of November so a nice goal for the Orange will be to go 2-1 in those three games. Miami, Louisville, and Notre Dame highlight the conference schedule and they only must play each of those teams once and that will help Syracuse in their quest to win the ACC. Tiana Mangakahia and Miranda Drummond are the top returning scorers from last season as they combined to average 32.4 points per game. Mangakahia is also a clutch free throw shooter as she made 87.5 percent of her free throws in 2017-2018. Drummond is an excellent outside shooter and made 40.2 percent of her three-point shots last season. Gabrielle Cooper and Digna Strautmane are going to need to continue to develop offensively. They need to get their field goal percentages over the 40 percent mark to help the Syracuse offense grow. Bottom line, with a strong culture of consistent winning in place thanks to the leadership of Coach Quentin Hillsman and a veteran team, you can expect about 22-25 wins this season and another NCAA tournament run.

By the Numbers:
Scoring Offense: 73.1 (47th in nation, 4th in conference)
Scoring Defense: 66.6 (205, 12)
Field-Goal Percentage: 40.4 (164,10)
Field-Goal Defense: 41.0 (227, 13)
Three-Point Field Goals Per Game: 9.8 (9,1)
Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage: 31.5 (173, 10)
Free-Throw Percentage: 74.4 (59, 3)
Rebound Margin: -0.4 (193, 12)
Assists Per Game: 15.7 (47, 4)
Turnovers Per Game: 14.5 (95, 5)

#19 Emily Engstler
#79 Kadiatou Sissoko

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16701

#17 DePaul: Sixth year senior, Rebekah Dahlman, attempts to finish her college career on a high note.

If DePaul can find some depth, most notably from sophomore Dee Bekelja, Vanderbilt transfer Rebekah Dahlman and top recruit Dege Jean, this group should win the Big East and make a push for the Sweet Sixteen.

Tiana Mangakahia should be a draft-eligible junior this year.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16707

At #15: Iowa

Iowa Hawkeyes

Overall Rank: #15
Conference Rank: #2 Big Ten

The Iowa Hawkeyes laid for the foundation for the 2018-19 season by winning 24 games and returning to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2015. However, Iowa did run into a bit of a buzzsaw in Creighton in the first round of the NCAA Tournament as the Blue Jays upset the Hawkeyes 76-70. Head Coach Lisa Bluder brings back four starters, led by Megan Gustafson, and should be one of the better offensive teams in the country once again and that will make them a very tough out all year long.

2017-18 Record: 24-8, 11-5
Coach: Lisa Bluder
Coach Record: 367-210 at Iowa, 723-352 overall

Chase Coley, Forward, 8.9 ppg

Megan Gustafson, Senior, Forward, 25.7 ppg
Kathleen Doyle, Junior, Guard, 11.1 ppg
Makenzie Meyer, Junior, Guard, 10.8 ppg
Alexis Sevillian, Redshirt Sophomore, Guard, 8.7 ppg

Tania Davis, Senior, Guard, 9.7 ppg
Hannah Stewart, Senior, Forward, 7.3 ppg
Amanda Ollinger, Junior, Forward, 3.0 ppg
Paula Valino Ramos, Sophomore, Forward/Center, 1.4 ppg

Key New Players

Tomi Taiwo, Freshman, Guard
Kate Martin, Freshman, Guard
Logan Cook, Freshman, Forward
Monika Czinano, Freshman, Forward/Center

Projection:

Megan Gustafson is one of the top candidates for National Player of the Year heading into this upcoming season. Gustafson averaged 25.7 points per game along with 12.3 rebounds and shot 80.6 percent from the foul line. The backcourt is deep with Kathleen Doyle, Makenzie Meyer, and Alexis Sevillian combining to average just over 30 points per game between the three of them last season. One point of emphasis for Iowa will be to reduce the number of turnovers per game by about three or fou, which in turn will help them get north of 80 points per game on offense. West Virginia and defending national champion Notre Dame highlight the non-conference portion of the schedule for the Hawkeyes. The Big Ten schedule is balanced with a home and home against Nebraska and Michigan. There are also solo games at Ohio State and Minnesota along with a home game against Maryland. If Iowa can go 4-3 or better in those seven games, then they will be in great shape in the Big Ten championship race. Overall, look for the Hawkeyes to win around 25 games this season and with the right NCAA Tournament draw should get to the Sweet 16.

By the Numbers:

Scoring Offense: 78.7 (20th in nation, 4th in conference)
Scoring Defense: 68.9 (264, 10)
Field-Goal Percentage: 48.9 (5,1)
Field-Goal Defense: 37.5 (50, 2)
Three-Point Field Goals Per Game: 5.4 (205,11)
Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage: 35.3 (56, 7)
Free-Throw Percentage: 77.1 (12, 1)
Rebound Margin: 6.6 (33, 3)
Assists Per Game: 21.4 (3, 1)
Turnovers Per Game: 16.2 (211, 12)

#15 Megan Gustafson

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16729

#8 Maryland Terrapins

Overall Rank: #8
Conference Rank: #1 Big Ten

For the first time since joining the Big Ten, Maryland failed to at least win a share of the conference’s regular season title. The Terrapins still went 26-8 overall and finished 12-4 in the Big Ten, so it was not a huge step back; and that was with a relatively young team. Maryland only has one senior on the roster so this is still a young group, but they certainly do not lack experience heading into the 2018-2019 campaign. Four of their top five scorers are back and Coach Brenda Frese brings in one of the nation’s top recruiting classes.

2017-18 Record: 26-8, 12-4
Coach: Brenda Frese
Coach Record: 429-119 at Maryland, 486-149 overall

Kristen Confroy, Guard, 9.5 ppg

Eleanna Christinaki, Guard/Forward, 11.8 ppg
Ieshia Small, Guard, 9.4 ppg

Kaila Charles, Junior, Guard, 17.9 ppg
Stephanie Jones, Junior, Forward, 10.8 ppg
Channise Lewis, Sophomore, Guard, 5.4 ppg
Blair Watson, Junior, Guard, 13.8 ppg

Brianna Fraser, Senior, Forward, 10.2 ppg
Sarah Myers, Junior, Guard, 1.9 ppg

Key New Players

Shakira Austin, Freshman, Forward
Taylor Mikesell, Freshman, Guard
Olivia Owens, Freshman, Center
Sara Vujacic, Junior, Guard, JC Transfer

Projection:

Kaila Charles had an amazing sophomore season, averaging 17.9 points and 8.1 rebounds. The 6-1 guard was even better against the best teams on the schedule. Blair Watson, Stephanie Jones and Brianna Fraser were also double digit scorers last season. Watson started the first 17 games of the season and was well on her way to a breakout season before tearing an ACL. She averaged 13.8 points per game and connected on 44.1 percent of her three-point attempts. Jones and Fraser are both very efficient interior scorers and decent rebounders as well. It is Channise Lewis who sets up all of those scorers. The sophomore point guard is not much of a scoring threat, but dished out 4.7 assists per game as a freshman and should be even more efficient with that year of experience under her belt. Shakira Austin highlights the group of four newcomers. The 6-5 forward has the talent to make an immediate impact. Fellow freshmen Taylor Mikesell and Olivia Owens and junior college transfer Sara Vujacic all have the talent to at least provide some quality depth. And with that depth and the very talented returning players, Maryland has everything they need to reclaim their spot atop the Big Ten standings.

By the Numbers:

Scoring Offense: 79.6 (19th in nation, 3rd in conference)
Scoring Defense: 64.1 (149, 5)
Field-Goal Percentage: 45.6 (22, 3)
Field-Goal Defense: 39.0 (96, 4)
Three-Point Field Goals Per Game: 6.3 (127, 6)
Three-Point Field-Goal Percentage: 38.8 (8, 2)
Free-Throw Percentage: 70.3 (177, 11)
Rebound Margin: 7.7 (23, 2)
Assists Per Game: 16.7 (20, 3)
Turnovers Per Game: 14.1 (76, 4)

#6 Shakira Austin
#35 Olivia Owens
#39 Taylor Mikesell

So the B1G rankings according to College Sports Madness:

1. Maryland
2. Iowa
3. Minnesota
4. Michigan
5. Nebraska
6. Ohio State
7. Indiana

Interesting to note that three of Maryland's freshmen were ranked as follows in the national recruiting ratings: #6, #35, #39. That's one good reason why the Terps are usually atop the BIG. Hopefully, the Gophers can get into a position where they can attract recruits that are so esteemed.

Interesting to note that three of Maryland's freshmen were ranked as follows in the national recruiting ratings: #6, #35, #39. That's one good reason why the Terps are usually atop the BIG. Hopefully, the Gophers can get into a position where they can attract recruits that are so esteemed.

...and hold onto those recruits (which Maryland has a bit of trouble with lately).

Top Bottom