Chrome Gold, Maroon, Maroon for Saturday vs Iowa

The oar is about Fleck, not about the U. Should be taken off the helmet immediately. He already has a discreet compass on the helmet, no need to add a giant goofy oar too.

The enormous oar on the helmet is stupid, full stop. And, there’s no oarlock I can see which would make it a paddle. Other than the ego-driven faux pas, I actually like the new uniforms.

It didn't when they introduced them last spring, but in the release yesterday about the uni combo it has it and it looks just as stupid on the chrome as it does on the others.
It has nothing to do with the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Damnit. Oh well. Least of our concerns

People must have a different definition of "up in arms" and "upset" than I do. Simply stating you don't like something is not "up in arms" or make the person stating the opinion "upset" as far as I'm concerned. But maybe that is just me.

Others have mentioned this a lot regarding the oars on the helmets: It is Fleck's thing. It isn't the University. To me it makes it a very odd thing to put so prominently on the uniforms. As an old history major I often see things through the lens of how I feel it will be remembered in the future. Where will the Fleck coaching tenure lead? Huge success followed by immediate departure for a "better" job? Flame out and firing? Eventual program stability at an underwhelming perennial 7-5 to 8-4 team? Scandal followed by firing? Sustained success and climb up to regular contender for conference and national championships, with a statue of Fleck out front of TCF Bank Stadium and a 35+ year tenure at MN? Someday everyone will look back at these Fleck-oars on the helmets and remember something. There is a very large possibility those memories will comment on how silly those oars were. I of course could be wrong. But that is why I don't like them. that doesn't make me up in arms or upset. I also mentioned the reflective helmets. It seems like many other schools have phased in, and are now phasing out similar helmets. They aren't unique or cutting edge anymore, in my opinion. I probably would have liked them much more if they had been introduced back when Oregon first used them. Now it just seems tired and old - johnny come lately stuff. That doesn't mean I am a Grinch about uniform combos and doing unique things. Just the opposite. I love variety and combos. I just happen to not be a huge fan of our uniforms now. Not being a fan of the uniforms doesn't mean I don't identify with recruits, or don't like change. It also doesn't make me pick up a pitchfork to join a mob.

Very well stated! Thank you for sharing

Its interesting that people care so much about uniforms. Wish people were this passionate about other aspects of Gopher sports.

IMO it all boils down to recruiting. 18 year old student athletes like the new flashy jerseys and think they are cool.

For the most part, switching up uniforms does not equate to top ranked recruiting. Looking over the past 5 years of recruiting the teams consistently in the top 25 have not changed up their uniforms with the major exception being Oregon, who Nike uses as a test lab. Looking at the 24/7 rankings for 2018 you get this:

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Texas
4. USC
5. Alabama
6. Penn State
7. Clemson
8. Miami*
9. Oklahoma
10. Notre Dame

Of the top 10 teams, only 1 has played around with their uniforms, and I'd argue they have more of an alternate look vs. a weekly fashion show.

11. Florida State
12. Auburn
13. Oregon*
14. Florida
15. LSU
16. Washington
17. Texas A&M
18. South Carolina
19. UCLA
20. North Carolina

Oregon, the instigators of we need flashy uniforms that don't have school colors on them is the only one in the next ten.

21. Tennessee
22. Michigan
23. Nebraska
24. Virginia Tech*
25. TCU*

of the next five, TCU and perhaps VA Tech have adopted or moved towards the fashion show approach.

Maybe it's a slow trend to catch on?

IMO it all boils down to recruiting. 18 year old student athletes like the new flashy jerseys and think they are cool.

I think that really depends. Gophs Iowa and Wisc are recruiting in a lot of the same circles, so uniforms and the "cool" factor is pretty minor in the decision making IMHO. Until these last couple recruiting classes, you could throw Maryland into that same mix of programs.

That doesn’t make much sense. Why would we care about the uniforms if we didn’t care about the team? It’s just an opinion on the helmet. It’s not a comment on someone’s character. If the helmet didn’t have the paddle would anyone care- no. It’s not a huge deal but the size and placement is a bit wierd.

Last edited:

Why is everyone always up in arms with the oar on the helmet? People just looking to complain about something? Sounds like my father. It's on the uniforms for the rest of the season, let it go.

The oar on the helmets look bad.

That doesn’t make much sense. Why would we care about the uniforms if we didn’t care about the team? It’s just an opinion on the helmet. It’s not a comment on someone’s character. If the helmet didn’t have an error nobody would care. It’s not a huge deal but the size and placement is a bit wierd.

Thanks for your opinion. I never said it was a comment on someone's character?
My initial question was just trying to understand why people have an issue with the oar/continue to talk about it. Many people posted their opinions and now I have a better understanding why people don't like it. Thanks. Go Gophers.

Last edited:

I understand that some great teams don't switch jerseys to try to attract attention. But those are great teams. Alabama, USC, Penn State, etc. are HISTORICALLY SIGNIFICANT PROGRAMS. The Gophers haven't been nationally relevant since the 60s. Whatever they try is fine because it ultimately doesn't matter right now.

If it helps, awesome. If it doesn't help, oh well. There isn't tradition outside of losing.

For the most part, switching up uniforms does not equate to top ranked recruiting. Looking over the past 5 years of recruiting the teams consistently in the top 25 have not changed up their uniforms with the major exception being Oregon, who Nike uses as a test lab. Looking at the 24/7 rankings for 2018 you get this:

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Texas
4. USC
5. Alabama
6. Penn State
7. Clemson
8. Miami*
9. Oklahoma
10. Notre Dame

Of the top 10 teams, only 1 has played around with their uniforms, and I'd argue they have more of an alternate look vs. a weekly fashion show.

11. Florida State
12. Auburn
13. Oregon*
14. Florida
15. LSU
16. Washington
17. Texas A&M
18. South Carolina
19. UCLA
20. North Carolina

Oregon, the instigators of we need flashy uniforms that don't have school colors on them is the only one in the next ten.

21. Tennessee
22. Michigan
23. Nebraska
24. Virginia Tech*
25. TCU*

of the next five, TCU and perhaps VA Tech have adopted or moved towards the fashion show approach.

Maybe it's a slow trend to catch on?

Wrong. Ohio State has in recent years. Notre Dame has with their shamrock series. Others have as well.

If not for the students do you think they are doing it to make the season ticket holders happy?

Of course It's for the students.

The enormous oar on the helmet is stupid, full stop. And, there’s no oarlock I can see which would make it a paddle. Other than the ego-driven faux pas, I actually like the new uniforms.

I'm not a fan of it and I've always thought it looked more like a canoe paddle too...which would actually have at least a loose connection to the U. Would have loved if he used crossed oars with RTB incorporated as helmet stickers for big plays.

I really liked the last set of unis...modern version of a classic uniform. To me the new set look like they tried too hard and missed...especially with the maroon jersey.

Its interesting that people care so much about uniforms. Wish people were this passionate about other aspects of Gopher sports.

This is such a stupid and strange take. College football fans across the country care a great deal about their teams uniforms. It's one of the things that makes college football unique and fun.

This is such a stupid and strange take. College football fans across the country care a great deal about their teams uniforms. It's one of the things that makes college football unique and fun.

You're right. People do care. Gopher fans, at least on gopherhole, seem to care more about uniforms than defensive schemes that are being run. I do not think this is typical, or "unique and fun"

I think that really depends. Gophs Iowa and Wisc are recruiting in a lot of the same circles, so uniforms and the "cool" factor is pretty minor in the decision making IMHO. Until these last couple recruiting classes, you could throw Maryland into that same mix of programs.

There are definitely other factors of course but the alternate uniforms are more for the Students than season ticket holders and fans IMO. Fans care more about tradition and nostalgia and are most of the ones you see complaining about the uniform changes.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a comment that the team should spend more time trying to win and less time worrying about the uniforms.

I don't think the team worries about this, but the posters clearly do.

Wrong. Ohio State has in recent years. Notre Dame has with their shamrock series. Others have as well.

If not for the students do you think they are doing it to make the season ticket holders happy?

Of course It's for the students.

To me there's a difference between special occasion uniforms and what we are talking about here. OSU and Irish have had special occasion unis. Irish have had the kelly green jersey for years but it is not a regular uniform jersey, just like the shamrock series and the pinstripe one.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a comment that the team should spend more time trying to win and less time worrying about the uniforms.

Well we get hammered as Fleck haters when we do...

The gold helmets are cool. But as I said before, I don't care what they wear. If anyone is watching the game and is so distracted by what the team is wearing that you can't focus on the play - well, then you have issues. Sheldon Cooper-like issues.
And if it's some combo you don't like there is probably a good chance you won't see it very often, or ever again, with so many uniform options they have available.
If the Gophers lose, there's a good chance my frustration will be in how they played and not their appearance. If they win? Well, then no one will care.
Just win.

To me there's a difference between special occasion uniforms and what we are talking about here. OSU and Irish have had special occasion unis. Irish have had the kelly green jersey for years but it is not a regular uniform jersey, just like the shamrock series and the pinstripe one.

My last post on this thread. To me jerseys for special occasions are alternate jerseys but I can understand your point. I'm talking about the black and white Leprechaun helmet, the black and red Ohio State helmet etc.

Like I said there are other factors in recruiting. My only point is that IMO the jerseys are done more for the students then season ticket holders and fans.
Student athletes do not care as much about uniform tradition as fans and season ticket holders.

Last edited:

The oar on the helmets look bad.

Yes. I will never buy or wear and Gopher gear that has that stupid paddle on it! I see that last batch of Gopher football gear promoted in Goldy's email all had the stupid paddles on them.

Well we get hammered as Fleck haters when we do...

Because it's ridiculous. You can hate the uniforms all you want but statements like that make it seem like the team is not practicing, game planning, etc because they're worrying about the uniforms. The team isn't stitching the jerseys or painting the helmets. The promo videos you see were shot over the summer.

There are definitely other factors of course but the alternate uniforms are more for the Students than season ticket holders and fans IMO. Fans care more about tradition and nostalgia and are most of the ones you see complaining about the uniform changes.

Yes, a lot of teams have alternate uniforms, which is different than the fashion show approach.

And those alternative uniforms were about selling more merch, not for the “kids”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologize if already posted.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

First off...I hate the quick cut videos their markting dept. is so fond of.
Second...can we just burn the maroon pants at the homecoming bonfire?

I wouldn't really care that the paddle is Fleck's thing and not the Gophers if it looked cool. But it looks silly.

I doubt that the team isn't dealing with all the pent up thoughts like this board is. They are concentrating on winning a football game and this issue of uniforms is the least of their concern

Top Bottom