Chrome Gold, Maroon, Maroon for Saturday vs Iowa

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
Apologize if already posted.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Those helmets are awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hope that uniform combo accompanies a big Gopher win.

I'm all for gold getting in there somewhere, but is there another photo of this uniform combo somewhere? I'd really like to see some gold in the road uniform as broadcasters constantly call us "Golden Gophers," a moniker that Bierman started in the early '30s when he went to an all gold uniform.

was really excited to see this helmet as it was the only one in the initial roll out that didn't have the god awful Beaver tail stripe on it. Now in this video there it is, ruining the look of the classic Golden Gophers look. Sad and Disappointing.

was really excited to see this helmet as it was the only one in the initial roll out that didn't have the god awful Beaver tail stripe on it. Now in this video there it is, ruining the look of the classic Golden Gophers look. Sad and Disappointing.

Had the same thought. Sharp looking helmet, then I saw the beaver tail. Ugh

Those helmets are awesome

I had a chance to look at it in person...it actually has a somewhat copper tint to it...definitely does not match any of the gold on the jerseys or pants.

Not a fan of the helmet. That look seems to be on its way out. It was cool when Oregon did it, years ago. And the beaver tail oar stripe thing is awful on all Gopher helmets, in my opinion. I will say the white numbers don't bother me as much as I thought they would back when the uniforms were originally unveiled.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a comment that the team should spend more time trying to win and less time worrying about the uniforms.

I'm surprised there hasn't been a comment that the team should spend more time trying to win and less time worrying about the uniforms.

I was going to, but now you’ve stolen my thunder. I kinda like the chrome domes.

Good point. Its hard to believe that people think this way. Maybe I'm wrong but its unlikely that our starting WRs are sewing the jerseys while the D-line paints the helmets.

Good point. Its hard to believe that people think this way. Maybe I'm wrong but its unlikely that our starting WRs are sewing the jerseys while the D-line paints the helmets.

Every time I see posts like that I imagine Fleck coming to practice saying "practice is cancelled, head over to the meeting room so we can spend the next 3 hours debating which uniform we'll wear on Saturday".

So far, I have been very much pleased with the uniform decisions. They've all looked good, and I think this one will look good too.

Also, as I recall Highwayman pointed out for the Maryland game, it seems there is an effort to select combos with good contrast to what the opposing team is wearing. Yes obviously there will always be the white vs color on the shirts, but even for the whole uniform.

I just hope to god we never, never, never see the chrome/anthra/yellow combo. Please god.

And the damn oar on the white and maroon helmets, oh well.

Why is everyone always up in arms with the oar on the helmet? People just looking to complain about something? Sounds like my father. It's on the uniforms for the rest of the season, let it go.

Why is everyone always up in arms with the oar on the helmet? People just looking to complain about something? Sounds like my father. It's on the uniforms for the rest of the season, let it go.

Everyone? Not everyone is.

Why? Because it has nothing to do with the University of Minnesota.

Complain about something? Selling your soul and whoring your University out may be OK for Mark Coyle, but it isn't for some posters on this board.

It bothers some people. Let it go.

Complain about something? Selling your soul and whoring your University out may be OK for Mark Coyle, but it isn't for some posters on this board.

Exactly correct.

Though, the Chrome helmet does NOT have the beaver tail/oar.

4 posts out of 19 mentioned that they didn't like the helmet to various degrees.

That equates to :Why is everyone always up in arms with the oar on the helmet?

;)

There's gotta be a reason that having so many uniform combinations is quite important to Coach Fleck and other College Head Coaches.

Don't get why people are upset by it. Don't get why people are upset that other people are upset by it either.

Just want the Gophers to win.

Oh and have player's names on the back of the uniforms; for both teams. Always.

So guess I do care a little about the unis. :cool:

Actually, it kind of does;

U of M Rugby captain John Adams had heard Sioux boys yell "ski-yoo!" when they won canoe races on Lake Pepin. He incorrectly interpreted that phrase as the Sioux word for victory, or exultation and suggested it as a cheer for the University rugby team. A co-captain added the "mah" to make it rhyme with "rah" and created "Ski-U-Mah!" The slogan has been used to cheer on the Minnesota Golden Gophers athletics teams, and was written into the lyrics of University songs including the "Minnesota Rouser", "Go Gopher Victory", "Minnesota Fight" and "Minnesota March".

There's gotta be a reason that having so many uniform combinations is quite important to Coach Fleck and other College Head Coaches.

IMO it all boils down to recruiting. 18 year old student athletes like the new flashy jerseys and think they are cool.

Exactly correct.

Though, the Chrome helmet does NOT have the beaver tail/oar.

It didn't when they introduced them last spring, but in the release yesterday about the uni combo it has it and it looks just as stupid on the chrome as it does on the others.
It has nothing to do with the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Wow, didn't know so many people would be up in arms over my comment. sheesh, my apologies.

4 posts out of 19 mentioned that they didn't like the helmet to various degrees.

That equates to :Why is everyone always up in arms with the oar on the helmet?

;)

Don't get why people are upset by it. Don't get why people are upset that other people are upset by it either.

Just want the Gophers to win.

Oh and have player's names on the back of the uniforms; for both teams. Always.

So guess I do care a little about the unis. :cool:

Good point, maybe "everybody" was the wrong word to use. Just seems like in every thread regarding the unis/helmets people always seem to bring up the oar on the helmet. It doesn't bother me that people take offense to it/don't like it. I'm just wondering why people continue to bring it up. That is all. Cheers. Go Gophers.

People must have a different definition of "up in arms" and "upset" than I do. Simply stating you don't like something is not "up in arms" or make the person stating the opinion "upset" as far as I'm concerned. But maybe that is just me.

Others have mentioned this a lot regarding the oars on the helmets: It is Fleck's thing. It isn't the University. To me it makes it a very odd thing to put so prominently on the uniforms. As an old history major I often see things through the lens of how I feel it will be remembered in the future. Where will the Fleck coaching tenure lead? Huge success followed by immediate departure for a "better" job? Flame out and firing? Eventual program stability at an underwhelming perennial 7-5 to 8-4 team? Scandal followed by firing? Sustained success and climb up to regular contender for conference and national championships, with a statue of Fleck out front of TCF Bank Stadium and a 35+ year tenure at MN? Someday everyone will look back at these Fleck-oars on the helmets and remember something. There is a very large possibility those memories will comment on how silly those oars were. I of course could be wrong. But that is why I don't like them. that doesn't make me up in arms or upset. I also mentioned the reflective helmets. It seems like many other schools have phased in, and are now phasing out similar helmets. They aren't unique or cutting edge anymore, in my opinion. I probably would have liked them much more if they had been introduced back when Oregon first used them. Now it just seems tired and old - johnny come lately stuff. That doesn't mean I am a Grinch about uniform combos and doing unique things. Just the opposite. I love variety and combos. I just happen to not be a huge fan of our uniforms now. Not being a fan of the uniforms doesn't mean I don't identify with recruits, or don't like change. It also doesn't make me pick up a pitchfork to join a mob.

People must have a different definition of "up in arms" and "upset" than I do. Simply stating you don't like something is not "up in arms" or make the person stating the opinion "upset" as far as I'm concerned. But maybe that is just me.

Others have mentioned this a lot regarding the oars on the helmets: It is Fleck's thing. It isn't the University. To me it makes it a very odd thing to put so prominently on the uniforms. As an old history major I often see things through the lens of how I feel it will be remembered in the future. Where will the Fleck coaching tenure lead? Huge success followed by immediate departure for a "better" job? Flame out and firing? Eventual program stability at an underwhelming perennial 7-5 to 8-4 team? Scandal followed by firing? Sustained success and climb up to regular contender for conference and national championships, with a statue of Fleck out front of TCF Bank Stadium and a 35+ year tenure at MN? Someday everyone will look back at these Fleck-oars on the helmets and remember something. There is a very large possibility those memories will comment on how silly those oars were. I of course could be wrong. But that is why I don't like them. that doesn't make me up in arms or upset. I also mentioned the reflective helmets. It seems like many other schools have phased in, and are now phasing out similar helmets. They aren't unique or cutting edge anymore, in my opinion. I probably would have liked them much more if they had been introduced back when Oregon first used them. Now it just seems tired and old - johnny come lately stuff. That doesn't mean I am a Grinch about uniform combos and doing unique things. Just the opposite. I love variety and combos. I just happen to not be a huge fan of our uniforms now. Not being a fan of the uniforms doesn't mean I don't identify with recruits, or don't like change. It also doesn't make me pick up a pitchfork to join a mob.

Fair enough. Thanks for your opinion.

Because it's ugly, gimmicky, tacky, and laughable.

Actually, it kind of does;

U of M Rugby captain John Adams had heard Sioux boys yell "ski-yoo!" when they won canoe races on Lake Pepin. He incorrectly interpreted that phrase as the Sioux word for victory, or exultation and suggested it as a cheer for the University rugby team. A co-captain added the "mah" to make it rhyme with "rah" and created "Ski-U-Mah!" The slogan has been used to cheer on the Minnesota Golden Gophers athletics teams, and was written into the lyrics of University songs including the "Minnesota Rouser", "Go Gopher Victory", "Minnesota Fight" and "Minnesota March".

All of that does tie to the U.

I was answering OPs question why people are “up in arms” about the oar. Which has nothing to do with the University of Minnesota.

Wow. How's the air up there on your high horse?

Top Bottom