Gophers will need leaders to step up during Antoine Winfield Jr.’s absence

DanielHouse

Reaction score
Injuries are something the Gophers’ football team has learned to overcome. It’s a form of adversity they have encountered over the past two years.

Earlier in 2018, running back Rodney Smith suffered a season-ending ACL tear. The injury thrust true freshman Bryce Williams into a large role. Little did the coaches know, it was just the first of two key injuries on the horizon.

“Any adversity we’ve had has brought us a lot closer together,” Fleck said following Smith’s injury.

Just two weeks later, they were mentally tested again. Star safety Antoine Winfield Jr. suffered a season-ending foot injury during a 42-13 loss at Maryland. Four weeks into the season, the Gophers lost their two best players to injuries.

Winfield sustained a Lisfranc ligament tear in his left foot, according to Fleck.

“The two things that happen with his injury, it’s either your foot breaks or you tear that ligament and he tore that ligament in his foot,” Fleck said.

The recovery time for this injury varies, but a research study found that 90 percent of NFL players who sustained this injury returned to play at a median of 11.1 months from the time of injury. Recovery times vary depending upon severity, but Minnesota will apply for a medical redshirt.

This is the second time Winfield has battled through injuries at Minnesota. Last season, he missed eight games with a hamstring injury. Winfield has quickly learned how to adjust his mentality when injuries strike.

“He knew something was wrong and he goes, ‘well, that’s football.’ I mean I guess when you have a dad that plays in the NFL for 14 years, you kind of see some things that happen. He understands this is a violent game, it’s a contact sport,” Fleck said. “But he plays the game the right way, he respects the game. And I think eventually really good things are going to happen to him. The restoration is going to come around for him.”

For the time being, the Gophers will need to find a way to construct a defense without the team’s best player in the secondary. It won’t be an easy task as to replicate Winfield’s value.

“Everything we do on our defense is funneled to make sure [Winfield is] the guy and the extra guy to make the play where he needs to make it,” Fleck said. “And then behind them are very, very young players. That’s the position we got caught in.”

In the meantime, Minnesota’s coaches be relying upon young players to fill depth spots. Veteran defensive back Antonio Shenault will likely shift to safety as the Gophers try to patch the hole. It wouldn’t be surprising to see true freshmen Benny Sapp Jr. and Jordan Howden slide into the rotation as well. No matter what, the leadership of senior safety Jacob Huff will be extra important in the backend.

More: http://www.1500espn.com/gophers-2/2018/10/gophers-will-need-leaders-step-antoine-winfield-jr-s-absence/

Guys like Coughlin, Barber, Cashman, Shenault, Huff, and Thomas have to step up their leadership!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom