Starting depth chart?

Flecknation

Reaction score
no official depth chart this week? They have a surprise for us all?

no official depth chart this week? They have a surprise for us all?

I think there could be a lot of very big surprises coming...PJ has been really emphasizing the 33 freshmen in our two-deep...only 16 of them played versus Maryland (5 of those were only on special teams)...only 5 of the true frosh played outside of special teams.

I think there could be a lot of very big surprises coming...PJ has been really emphasizing the 33 freshmen in our two-deep...only 16 of them played versus Maryland (5 of those were only on special teams)...only 5 of the true frosh played outside of special teams.

Very big surprises? What pray tell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very big surprises? What pray tell?

Possible depth chart surprises going forward (guys who are listed on the depth chart/roster who could surprise by making an in-game contribution besides special teams as season progresses): Brooks, Dunlap, Faalele, Dovich, Oseland, Schmitz, Durr, Williamson, Estes, Sapp, Morgan, Howard, Teague, Reigelsperger, Umlor, SoriMarin, Rush, Oliver, Harris, CJ Johnson, Aune

As much as Dovich and Oseland might "deserve" to be given some reps, I don't think they'll see the field unless there is an injury to Greene or Olson or those two's performance falls off a cliff.

They are very serviceable back-ups. I think the question is, really, will they choose to graduate after this year or will they stick around for their 5th years.

And you base this on...nothing? Ok, thank you.

Shooter? Is that you?

I for one am ready to see Thomas Rush play, he is a thumper that hit's people and is not afraid to mix it up in the middle.

I for one am ready to see Thomas Rush play, he is a thumper that hit's people and is not afraid to mix it up in the middle.

Who's coming out of the line up to let him play? Barber? Cashman? or Martin? All of whom have played well this season with Barber and Cashman leading the team in tackles and Martin is number 6. Rush does look like a player, but I hope he doesn't see the field much at all this year as that means the three that are ahead of him now are playing at a high level. Maybe even next year they move Coughlin into the Cashman role and Rush still doesn't see the field much.

Who's coming out of the line up to let him play? Barber? Cashman? or Martin? All of whom have played well this season with Barber and Cashman leading the team in tackles and Martin is number 6. Rush does look like a player, but I hope he doesn't see the field much at all this year as that means the three that are ahead of him now are playing at a high level. Maybe even next year they move Coughlin into the Cashman role and Rush still doesn't see the field much.

I think he's predicting a 4-4-3. It could happen.

If we did go to a legit 4 lineback base defense (and not a DL standing up, or a safety lined up at lineback-ish depth), I think it should/would just be Coughlin moving back from DE to instead play one of the MLB.

To run a base 3-4 right, you need three big boys up front that can each occupy two blockers. We have guys who could play nose tackle, but not sure our DE's could play 3-4 ends. Those are usually guys like 6-5 and 280-290 who line up right on the OT and are just beasts. So probably more like our 3-tech DT's.

Last edited:

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like Barber hasn't played very well at times this season.

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel like Barber hasn't played very well at times this season.

I'm in agreement with you. Don't get me wrong, he is a very talented linebacker and I love having him on the squad. He just doesn't seem to get a great jump on the ball, seems slower, and missing some assignments. Still a lot of season to be played. I trust him.

He's second in tackles so far this year, behind only Cashman.

He's second in tackles so far this year, behind only Cashman.

To be fair the leading tacklers on the majority of teams are LBs. Just stating that he doesn't seem as sharp as he did last year. Still very good though.

Possible depth chart surprises going forward (guys who are listed on the depth chart/roster who could surprise by making an in-game contribution besides special teams as season progresses): Brooks, Dunlap, Faalele, Dovich, Oseland, Schmitz, Durr, Williamson, Estes, Sapp, Morgan, Howard, Teague, Reigelsperger, Umlor, SoriMarin, Rush, Oliver, Harris, CJ Johnson, Aune

Faalele was the big move everybody talking about, but a bunch of other depth chart moves versus Iowa...

Williamson (invisible most of year) got the start at corner, got a lot of reps...

Kiondre got most of the reps at corner in second half; may finally be back in good graces...

Shenault got the start at safety, displacing Howden...if I am recalling correcetly, the defense that was on the field featured one true frosh starting (T Smith) and one redshirt frosh rotating in (Otomewo). Everyone else third, fourth or fifth year guys.

Rush, Sapp, Howden, Schmitz all have now played in five games and have used up the redshirt, all 4 mostly on special teams - I would guess these five good candidates to maybe see more time if others injured or if they win race to MAHturity? Walk-on TE Janes also at 5 games played now. SoriMarin at 4 now.

It kind of seems Seth Green may be your QB2 option now...they gave him a lot more than just red-zone runs this week.

Last edited:

To be fair the leading tacklers on the majority of teams are LBs. Just stating that he doesn't seem as sharp as he did last year. Still very good though.
Had a nice fumble recovery on Saturday

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Faalele was the big move everybody talking about, but a bunch of other depth chart moves versus Iowa...

Williamson (invisible most of year) got the start at corner, got a lot of reps...

Kiondre got most of the reps at corner in second half; may finally be back in good graces...

Shenault got the start at safety, displacing Howden...

Rush, Sapp, Howden, Schmitz all have now played in five games and have used up the redshirt, all 5 mostly on special teams - I would guess these five good candidates to maybe see more time if others injured or if they win race to MAHturity? walk-on Janes also at 5 games played now. SoriMarin at 4 now.

It kind of seems Seth Green may be your QB2 option now...they gave him a lot more than just red-zone runs this week.

Schmitz used up his redshirt in 2017.

Wouldn't waste Brooks on Ohio State!

Top Bottom