Grant Norton leaving the program

Assuming Fleck was grooming/redshirting him to take over for Greene in 2019 & 2020. Schlueter also has 2019 & 2020 left if we continue to start him at the right OT.

I believe the plan was to have Dickson compete for the starting RT spot and allow Schlueter another year to improve before starting again. Dickson couldn't get his grades in order and is academically redshirting this season.

So after being committed for a year, Norton arrives on campus Aug 3 and decides to leave after 2 months??!! It’s not devastating in the grand scheme as we took many OTs during the first two classes and Grant clearly needed to add some weight and strength, but still stings.

What was your favorite Grant Norton moment.

Kids all have different maturity levels and coping skills. Some can't handle rapid change and the stress it brings. Other kids suck it in because they have no other choice if they want a college education.

Home sickness, the shock of the speed of DI football, plus the drudgery of balancing schoolwork and football practices, or missing a sweetheart at home may be too overwhelming. You never know.

I would think that the Athletic Village have counselors that are kept busy especially with new students being away from home for the first time.

We keep forgetting that these are young seventeen/eighteen year-olds.

There is no shame involved for a kid to come out and say it is not for them rather than be in an unhappy place. I can't say it is better for the program. Doing it sooner than later will be better long term.

Good luck to him, and I hope he figures out what to do. Maybe going to college closer to home may be better in this case.

Didn't Kendarian Handy-Holly leave the Gophers to be closer to home?

My only other thought is what Kill used to say, "these kids have to love football, they can't just like it." This goes way beyond any knowledge that I would have, but IMHO the photo I recall of Norton suggested a person who did not want to be here. Best of luck to him. Go Gophers!

My only other thought is what Kill used to say, "these kids have to love football, they can't just like it." This goes way beyond any knowledge that I would have, but IMHO the photo I recall of Norton suggested a person who did not want to be here. Best of luck to him. Go Gophers!

I would venture to speculate that the sweet-looking girlfriend has a lot of pull.

Too bad but best to pull the plug early. IIRC good looking parents. Hello Mrs Robinson...

IT HAS TO BE THE GIRLFRIEND! She's a cutie.

Top Bottom