Grant Norton leaving the program

Urbandale

Reaction score
Grant Norton (OL) is apparently leaving. This is the new normal. College rosters are going to be revolving doors.

Interesting. I'm assuming the backstory is behind a paywall somewhere.

I found it interesting that he enrolled 'late'. Most guys where here in June but he enrolled August 3rd per 247.

per Greder:

True freshman offensive lineman Grant Norton has left the Gophers football program, a school spokesman told the Pioneer Press on Wednesday night.

Norton, a 6-foot-8, 260-pound tackle from Camdenton, Mo., had yet to appear in a game for the Gophers and looked to be a candidate to use his redshirt year.

Norton is also not listed as a student at the University of Minnesota, according to the school registrar’s online database. He has yet to announce his departure from Minnesota or give a reason why on social media. Attempts to reach the Norton family were not immediately returned Wednesday night.

Norton was a member of Minnesota’s 25-member 2018 recruiting class, which is ranked 38th in the country, according to 247sports.com. He is the second Gophers recruit in the 2018 class to leave the program, following quarterback Vic Viramontes, who transferred back to Riverside (Calif.) City College in June.

Norton, a three-star recruit, was considered the eighth-best recruit from the state of Missouri and the 93rd best offensive tackle in the 2018 class, according to ESPN.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/10/...ensive-lineman-grant-norton-has-left-program/

Go Gophers!!

Without knowing the particulars, may be a little blow to us. 6-8 guy is kind of nice to have around. Regardless, wish him the best.

School wasnt his thing, going to work at his dads business instead.

Bummer, I don't feel like we can afford to take any losses on OL.

per Greder:

True freshman offensive lineman Grant Norton has left the Gophers football program, a school spokesman told the Pioneer Press on Wednesday night.

Norton, a 6-foot-8, 260-pound tackle from Camdenton, Mo., had yet to appear in a game for the Gophers and looked to be a candidate to use his redshirt year.

Norton is also not listed as a student at the University of Minnesota, according to the school registrar’s online database. He has yet to announce his departure from Minnesota or give a reason why on social media. Attempts to reach the Norton family were not immediately returned Wednesday night.

Norton was a member of Minnesota’s 25-member 2018 recruiting class, which is ranked 38th in the country, according to 247sports.com. He is the second Gophers recruit in the 2018 class to leave the program, following quarterback Vic Viramontes, who transferred back to Riverside (Calif.) City College in June.

Norton, a three-star recruit, was considered the eighth-best recruit from the state of Missouri and the 93rd best offensive tackle in the 2018 class, according to ESPN.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/10/...ensive-lineman-grant-norton-has-left-program/

Go Gophers!!

Wow, that is a big loss. It will be interesting to find out what the official word is.

Wasn’t a fit for college or college football. Heading home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kids all have different maturity levels and coping skills. Some can't handle rapid change and the stress it brings. Other kids suck it in because they have no other choice if they want a college education.

Home sickness, the shock of the speed of DI football, plus the drudgery of balancing schoolwork and football practices, or missing a sweetheart at home may be too overwhelming. You never know.

I would think that the Athletic Village have counselors that are kept busy especially with new students being away from home for the first time.

We keep forgetting that these are young seventeen/eighteen year-olds.

There is no shame involved for a kid to come out and say it is not for them rather than be in an unhappy place. I can't say it is better for the program. Doing it sooner than later will be better long term.

Good luck to him, and I hope he figures out what to do. Maybe going to college closer to home may be better in this case.

Didn't Kendarian Handy-Holly leave the Gophers to be closer to home?

What’s his dad do if I may ask?

Runs an anti-virus software company.

No, works in the sewer.

85093759-carney.jpg

I don't know what to think of this, but I do kind of want to buy a speed boat now.

I wonder who has national stats on typical rates of recruiting class fall out.

We know our 2015 class was exceptionally hit with losses which is affecting our team now.

I'd have to assume the fallout must be 10-15% of the class per year or so.

Still have three OT that are Rfr or True Fr: Sassack, York, and Faalele.

Then have Dickson JUCO, to go along with Schlueter, both two years left. I'd say we're pretty well stocked at OT. Norton may have just felt he wouldn't break through on the depth chart. Wild guess, I have no inside info

I am assuming that bulking up was part of his issue. His dad is a body builder, irrc, and that is why P.J. wasn't concerned about his weight because he had the frame to put more muscle on. I can't imagine its easy to eat enough to gain 50 pounds of muscle.

Bad idea!

Why must bad ideas always be so tempting?

But I was thinking about Norton's boat dealership. If Grant had been a 5 star top of the SEC level recruit, can you imagine how many boats his dad could have sold? Every booster in the SEC would be cruisin around with a Norton Marine sticker on their pontoon.

Still have three OT that are Rfr or True Fr: Sassack, York, and Faalele.

Then have Dickson JUCO, to go along with Schlueter, both two years left. I'd say we're pretty well stocked at OT. Norton may have just felt he wouldn't break through on the depth chart. Wild guess, I have no inside info

Is Dickson a JUCO? Not acc to 247.

Either way we'll only have 6 OT on roster next spring- and I'd prefer to have 8 given attrition, injuries etc. less than that and we risk repeating the disaster we had last couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is Dickson a JUCO? Not acc to 247.

Either way we'll only have 6 OT on roster next spring- and I'd prefer to have 8 given attrition, injuries etc. less than that and we risk repeating the disaster we had last couple years.

His gophersports.com profile says he attended Diablo Valley Community College. https://gophersports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1064

Assuming Fleck was grooming/redshirting him to take over for Greene in 2019 & 2020. Schlueter also has 2019 & 2020 left if we continue to start him at the right OT.

But of course it will always be a competition in the spring and fall camp, and the best man wins the job. Will be interesting to see if Sassack, York, and/or Faalele can win a job!

Wasn't Norton the kid who Wisconsin and Nebraska tried to flip late in the cycle?

Top Bottom