DBs for Iowa, and going forward

Gophers_4life

Banned
Reaction score
I know some put very little stock in the depth charts, but the one for Iowa has Durr, Howden, and Huff as the starting DB along with T Smith and Shenault is the "starter" at the "(DB)" position.

- Benn Sapp OR Josh Aune backups behind Howden ... all three are true freshmen
- Swenson OR Williamson (Florida transfer) backups behind Huff
- Ki Thomas OR Ray Estes backups behind Durr
- CJ Smith backing up T Smith ... both true freshmen
- Justus Harris backing up Shenault

Is this what people were already thinking was going to be the case?

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gophersports.com/documents/2018/10/2/10_02_18_Depth_Chart.pdf

we're loaded with depth and tons of upperclassmen according to swingman...

I'm curious why Swenson didn't get time at safety after Winfield's injury last game. He played a lot last year after Winfield went down.

I'm curious why Swenson didn't get time at safety after Winfield's injury last game. He played a lot last year after Winfield went down.

He did get some snaps iirc. But he was quickly replaced with Howden

I am sure he is a super super super nice kid. Probably kind, respectful, great leader and all around excellent person. I hope he has a wonderful career somewhere someday and makes all of his wildest dreams come true.

If I never see Antonio Shenault give up another touchdown for the Gophers, it will be too soon. Would love to see someone else take his reps and get better for next year.

It would be really nice to have a healthy Williamson.

we're loaded with depth and tons of upperclassmen according to swingman...

Iowa cornerbacks:
Matt Hankins, a true sophomore, who is questionable. His backup is Julius Brent’s a true freshmen.

Michael Ojemudia, a redshirt junior. His backup is John Turner, a redshirt freshmen.

Three of the four top Iowa cornerbacks have been in their program less than 16 months.

Minnesota’s top four cornerbacks have been Terrell Smith, Kiondre Thomas, Antonio Shenault, and Coney Durr.

Three of the top four Minnesota cornerbacks have been in the program for three years or more. Our cornerback unit is older than Iowa’s.

Iowa starting safeties are junior Amani Hooker and senior Jake Gervase. Gervase is a former walk on. The backups are Geno Stone, a true sophomore, and John Milano, a rs junior. Milani is another walk on.

Minnesota starting safeties are Jacob Huff, a senior, and Howden, a true frosh. Their backups who have played and I would expect to play if needed Saturday are Swenson, a redshirt soph and Williamson, a redshirt junior. Howden and Swenson are walkons.

Their ain’t much difference in age, experience, scholarship depth in the top four safeties for IA and MN.

Minnesota will start a senior and two juniors at lb. Fourth linebacker in is a senior, Huff. Iowa will start Wade, a redshirt frosh, with no games in 2017 and no tackles this year; Colbert, a redshirt freshmen with five total tackles; Hockaday, a senior; and fourth guy in is Kristian Welch, a junior....Minnesota is older and more experienced at linebacker.

Iowa will start Brincks and Matt Nelson at dt, a senior and a redshirt senior.
Minnesota will start Moore and Smith, two rs seniors.
Iowa backup tackles are Reiff and Lattimore, a junior and a rs junior.
Minnesota backup tackles are Renner and Silver, two redshirt juniors.

Minnesota has an older dt two-deep than Iowa.

Minnesota will start Coughlin and DeLattiboudere at DE, a junior and a redshirt junior.
Iowa will start Anthony Nelson and Hesse at DE, a rs junior and a rs senior.
Minnesota backups are Otomewo, a second year guy, and Devers, a third year guy.
Iowa de backups are Epenesasa a second year guy And Golston, a third year guy.

Iowa has one older de than Minnesota in comparing two deeps...

Iowa will start three rs s rs on oline; two if Banwart gets the nod...MN will start two.
Iowa will start one rs soph on line; two if Banwart goes...and a true soph.
Minnesota will start two rs sophs a rs frosh on oline.
Iowa is older at one of five starting oline spots, maybe none if Banwart plays more.

Starting TEs both in third year.

Starting RBs both in second year.

Iowa older at QB...

Tyler Johnson is a junior...Easley, the walk on wr who joined team last year, is a rs senior.
Bateman is a true frosh, Bell a redshirt frosh...Smith and Smith Marsette both second year guys.

Last edited:

I'd like to see Justus Harris not play the rest of the year unless emergency calls for him to. I like that Fleck is keeping Ulmor on the bench so he can redshirt this year and develop further. I'd like to see the same thing with some of the other players who were unable to redshirt last year but are not clear starters or impact players this year.

Iowa cornerbacks:
Matt Hankins, a true sophomore, who is questionable. His backup is Julius Brent’s a true freshmen.

Michael Ojemudia, a redshirt junior. His backup is John Turner, a redshirt freshmen.

Three of the four top Iowa cornerbacks have been in their program less than 16 months.

Minnesota’s top four cornerbacks have been Terrell Smith, Kiondre Thomas, Antonio Shenault, and Coney Durr.

Three of the top four Minnesota cornerbacks have been in the program for three years or more. Our cornerback unit is older than Iowa’s.

Iowa starting safeties are junior Amani Hooker and senior Jake Gervase. Gervase is a former walk on. The backups are Geno Stone, a true sophomore, and John Milano, a rs junior. Milani is another walk on.

Minnesota starting safeties are Jacob Huff, a senior, and Howden, a true frosh. Their backups who have played and I would expect to play if needed Saturday are Swenson, a redshirt soph and Williamson, a redshirt junior. Howden and Swenson are walkons.

Their ain’t much difference in age, experience, scholarship depth in the top four safeties for IA and MN.

Minnesota will start a senior and two juniors at lb. Fourth linebacker in is a senior, Huff. Iowa will start Wade, a redshirt frosh, with no games in 2017 and no tackles this year; Colbert, a redshirt freshmen with five total tackles; Hockaday, a senior; and fourth guy in is Kristian Welch, a junior....Minnesota is older and more experienced at linebacker.

Minnesota will start Coughlin and DeLattiboudere at DE, a junior and a redshirt junior.

Iowa will start three rs s rs on oline; two if Banwart gets the nod...MN will start two.
Iowa is older at one of five starting oline spots, maybe none if Banwart plays more.

Iowa older at QB...

Tyler Johnson is a junior...Easley, the walk on wr who joined team last year, is a rs senior.
Bateman is a true frosh, Bell a redshirt frosh...Smith and Smith Marsette both second year guys.

Who do you think has a better d-line? O-line?

I think we both know the answer...but the question is does the age matter? Or is it more of the talent is not as good, or is it the development is not as good here? I'm guessing a little bit of both, I think they both could get much better as time moves on and PJ can continue to implement his system. Or at least, that's my hope anyway. :confused:

I am sure he is a super super super nice kid. Probably kind, respectful, great leader and all around excellent person. I hope he has a wonderful career somewhere someday and makes all of his wildest dreams come true.

If I never see Antonio Shenault give up another touchdown for the Gophers, it will be too soon. Would love to see someone else take his reps and get better for next year.

Man, quit hatin' on the kid.

;)

JTG

I think we match up well with their two-deep DT unit...They have three really effective DEs...we have a better lb crew that should make our overall front seven a better unit...I think our WR crew is better than Iowa's and their DB unit is suspect...our quick slant, quick screen, quick release sideline pass game could negate some of their def end rush...I think our db unit matches up well with their WR unit, we should be able to play man-to-man with them...allow more run support, blitz opps...can we cover Hockenson and Fant in play-action?

I think we match up very well on the o-line, based on front 5...what does the PFF individual play-by-play breakdown show?...be interesting to see how many of our oline vs their oline gets NFL interest...they use two tight ends and a full-back and get under center more/execute some good play-action; so maybe that makes their run and pass blocking maybe look better at times...when we run our wildcat with a running QB threat and a fb and extra te, we have had a lot of success...

Last edited:

Estes is a new name to the depth chart...Fleck has spoken highly of him in past, said it was hard to not use him last year...I don't think he has seen the field in first four games...

Swingman’s post makes me more optimistic for this game. Wish the weather for the game would be like today (sunny and crisp).

Iowa cornerbacks:

Iowa older at QB...

Of the O and D lineman, who have played/started in more career games. Heck, across the board who has started in more career games? Who has more experience? Who has more depth?

I’m going to guess there O line and D line is not only older (which they are) but have more experience as well. Not too mention, let’s compare their recruiting rankings and the fact they’ve been in the same system and strength program from day 1.

How many true and rs freshman are they starting? How many are in their 2 deeps? Depth matters, ala Shannon Brooks, Rodney Smith, Antoine Winfield Jr.

Do they have true freshman at QB, RB, WR, and in the secondary? Oh they don’t? So we can combine this fact with the fact they have more experienced lines? They also didn’t lose their 2 best RB’s and best defensive player?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Estes is a new name to the depth chart...Fleck has spoken highly of him in past, said it was hard to not use him last year...I don't think he has seen the field in first four games...

I could see Estes being someone who was hard not to play last year, and him not playing this year being a function of depth. Last year we burned Justus Harris's redshirt late in the season, it could have easily been Estes's redshirt that was burned. This year we have added two CB's that are better than Rey (T & C Smith) which has caused him to sink down on the depth chart.

Of the O lineman, who have played/started in more career games?

Iowa center Render had 20 career starts before this year.
Iowa tackle Jackson had 12 career starts before this year (all as a rs frosh last year)
Iowa tackle Wirfs had 8 career starts before this year (all as a true frosh last year)
Iowa guard Reynolds had 1 career start before this year
Iowa guard Ferguson had 0 career starts before this year
Iowa guard Banwart (rotates in) had 0 career starts before this year

Donnell Greene had 19 career starts before this year
Weyler had 14
Olson had 12
Schlueter had 6
Andries had none
Oseland has 2

Top Bottom