PP: Gophers not shying away from poor records against their rivals

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

At nearly every stop on his regular Tuesday media blitz, Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck brought up Minnesota's abysmal combined record against rivals Iowa and Wisconsin.

With Fleck now 0-2 against the Badgers and Hawkeyes after his first season in 2017, Minnesota is a combined 1-9 in the past five years against its archrivals. The Gophers are 3-17 against them over the past 10 years (.150 winning percentage) and 9-31 in the past 20 years (.225).

Fleck didn't bring up those exact stats but other similarly poor records to his players before the Gophers (3-1) face the Hawkeyes (3-1) in the Battle for Floyd of Rosedale at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 6, at TCF Bank Stadium.

"He doesn't know what team is going to do it, but it's eventually going to come to an end, those records," junior linebacker Thomas Barber said. "I want to be a part of that. I want to be a part of the team that does that."

The Gophers lost 17-10 to Iowa at Kinnick Stadium last year, a game in which Minnesota didn't score until the fourth quarter and never got closer than a touchdown deficit.

Only six redshirt seniors on Minnesota's current roster were at the U when the Gophers beat either of their rivals — a 51-14 blowout win over Iowa in Minneapolis in 2014.

"I was there," said center Jared Weyler. "It was exciting. A lot of emotions after the game, seeing all the fans. It's very very important to the fans and very, very important to the state."

http://grandforksherald.com/sports/...shying-away-poor-records-against-their-rivals

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom