Iowa-Minnesota: 10 interesting things to know about the rivalry, states and Floyd

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dustin:

3. The real Floyd died in 1936 and is buried (approximately) halfway between the two schools
Unfortunately, the actual Floyd didn’t last more than a year after serving as the prize of the Iowa-Minnesota game. He died from cholera on a farm near the Iowa-Minnesota border. He was also buried on that farm, which is actually pretty close to the halfway point between the two universities. How fitting.

4. Minnesota leads the series in just about every way…
The Gophers lead the all-time series 62-47-2 and the trophy series 42-39-2. Minnesota also owns the longest winning streak, defeating the Hawkeyes in 12 straight games from 1891-1916. The largest margin of victory also belongs to the Gophers, winning the 1903 matchup 75-0.

https://saturdaytradition.com/big-t...out-the-rivalry-states-and-floyd-of-rosedale/

Go Gophers!!

per Dustin:

3. The real Floyd died in 1936 and is buried (approximately) halfway between the two schools
Unfortunately, the actual Floyd didn’t last more than a year after serving as the prize of the Iowa-Minnesota game. He died from cholera on a farm near the Iowa-Minnesota border. He was also buried on that farm, which is actually pretty close to the halfway point between the two universities. How fitting.

Go Gophers!!

I'm not buying the story that the real Floyd is buried anywhere. Two words for ya: pork chops. :D

JTG

I'm not buying the story that the real Floyd is buried anywhere. Two words for ya: pork chops. :D

JTG

I don't think you want to eat a hog that died of cholera (or any other disease). If you find a hog dead in a field you send them to the rendering plant usually. Back then, they probably would have just buried it in the back 40 even if it wasn't a "celebrity".

I ain't buying that cholera nonsense. It was the middle of the Depression, and Farmer Brown's kids got hungry. They had a closed-smoker sendoff.

;)

JTG

Top Bottom