Nebraska Road Trip

GoldenBoy13

Novice
Reaction score
Anyone making the trip to Nebraska? We have a group of 8 going for our annual trip. It looks like there are a ton of lots to tailgate in, so we wondering if anyone else is planning to make the trip/have recommendations on tailgate lots.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone making the trip to Nebraska? We have a group of 8 going for our annual trip. It looks like there are a ton of lots to tailgate in, so we wondering if anyone else is planning to make the trip/have recommendations on tailgate lots.

Thanks in advance.

Not sure if I will be able to make it but it’s a nice drive and fun trip. Do you usually stay in Lincoln? We stayed in Omaha last time which was good other than the drive from Lincoln to Omaha after the game

Making the trip from Seattle to go see the Gophers and the band! 2 of us coming from Seattle, 2 coming from the cities, hoping see the gophers win! Anyone have any bar/food recommendations for after the game? We're staying in omaha and are planning to ride out the traffic after the game in Lincoln for a few hours. Assuming its an earlier game, maybe somewhere to watch the later games?

Will be making the trip with 4 buddies from the Twin Cities and 1 from Missouri. We will be staying relatively close to the stadium in Lincoln. Our plan is to go bar hopping before the game so any bar/restaurant recommendations are appreciated!

Making the trip from Seattle to go see the Gophers and the band! 2 of us coming from Seattle, 2 coming from the cities, hoping see the gophers win! Anyone have any bar/food recommendations for after the game? We're staying in omaha and are planning to ride out the traffic after the game in Lincoln for a few hours. Assuming its an earlier game, maybe somewhere to watch the later games?

We went in 2014 and had a blast. One of my favorite road games. The fans were fantastic! I said in another thread, almost too nice, where we were wondering if they were secretly poisoning us or something. :)

We had dinner Friday night at Lazlo's and I can't say enough about how awesome that was. The service was literally almost too good, the food and beer were awesome. It is attached to Empyreon Brewing, so that's the only beer you get. We had breakfast Saturday morning at the Green Gateau, which was also amazing. We went to a bar by campus after the game (can't remember name), but it was very fun - the Nebraska fans couldn't have been much nicer. Someone literally dropped a pitcher of beer at our table and said "good game", shook our hands and walked away. I can't remember where we ate dinner for sure, but it seems like it might have just been Granite City because I'm almost sure it was a brewpub nearby our hotel and that's the only one I saw when I just looked it up. Unless it was something else then and changed hands? I just can't remember.

We didn't tailgate, so can't speak on that.

If you have half as much fun as we did it will be a phenomenal trip.

We went in 2014 and had a blast. One of my favorite road games. The fans were fantastic! I said in another thread, almost too nice, where we were wondering if they were secretly poisoning us or something. :)

We had dinner Friday night at Lazlo's and I can't say enough about how awesome that was. The service was literally almost too good, the food and beer were awesome. It is attached to Empyreon Brewing, so that's the only beer you get. We had breakfast Saturday morning at the Green Gateau, which was also amazing. We went to a bar by campus after the game (can't remember name), but it was very fun - the Nebraska fans couldn't have been much nicer. Someone literally dropped a pitcher of beer at our table and said "good game", shook our hands and walked away. I can't remember where we ate dinner for sure, but it seems like it might have just been Granite City because I'm almost sure it was a brewpub nearby our hotel and that's the only one I saw when I just looked it up. Unless it was something else then and changed hands? I just can't remember.

We didn't tailgate, so can't speak on that.

If you have half as much fun as we did it will be a phenomenal trip.

I'd echo all of this. Will be going with a decent sized group, number TBD as of yet. Will be my 3rd game in Lincoln after going in 2012 and 2016.

Each time I've had 4-5 beers minimum bought for me by Husker fans. They're incredibly welcoming and nice. Lincoln is a super fun town as well, I'd put it up there with Iowa City for my favorite Big Ten cities. Underrated nightlife and food scene. Gameday atmosphere and stadium are out of this world.

Have never tailgated though so cannot speak to that aspect.

Here is a nice link with Nebraska gameday summary:

http://lincolnbymouth.com/husker-gameday-where-you-should-be-going/

We'll be making the trip for the fourth time in as many opportunities since Nebraska joined the conference, as it's easily my favorite destination in the B1G West.

Downtown Lincoln has something for everyone. The college crowd isn't hard to find (O Street), if that's your thing. Otherwise there are deep beer selections and plenty of TVs to watch games at Longwell's or Brewskys. Cocktails at The Other Room, Alchemy or Barrymore's. Whiskey at Single Barrel. Can't go wrong with prime rib at Misty's or Lazlo's.

Tailgating is ample in the lots west and north of Memorial Stadium, by the ballpark. Husker fans have always been very friendly, so even if you just wandered through, there will probably be folks who invite you to join them if you're willing to talk some football.

Hidden treasure on O street. Forget the name, but it's worth a search. One of the bars had coasters built into the table that were refrigerated to keep your drink cold. That was my favorite.

We too will be making our fourth trip to Lincoln (as long as the Huskers have been in the conference). Echoing the fact that Husker fans are just so darn nice. We'll have 6 of us, and we'll be hitting our usual watering holes in downtown Lincoln. Check out Barry's and their rooftop bar, Boiler Brewing has great beer, gotta go to Single Barrel and hear the Side Track Band (they are a game day tradition). They even invite the visiting team's fans on stage to sing their team's fight song. (I've been up there twice singing the Rouser!). Grilled hot wings at The Watering Hole can't be beat, Jake's Cigars and Spirits always has unique and hard to find beers on tap, and the last time I was in there, people were allowed to smoke cigars in side. I could go on and on. Bottom line----a road trip to Lincoln is probably the best one in the BIG.

We also have a group of 8 going. We are all staying at the Best Western Plus Friday & Saturday night. Lucky for us the booking was completed in January.

No tickets have been purchased yet (Watching Nebraska continue to lose). Feel free to DM me and I will get you my cell number so we can meetup for some tailgating!

I am heading to Lincoln from Colorado with a buddy (Nebraska Fan - there are a LOT of them here!). I did not go to UMN but my son is a Sophomore in the band. Really looking forward to it but have absolutely no information on the band activities besides they are playing at some point!

I am heading to Lincoln from Colorado with a buddy (Nebraska Fan - there are a LOT of them here!). I did not go to UMN but my son is a Sophomore in the band. Really looking forward to it but have absolutely no information on the band activities besides they are playing at some point!

I was in the band when Nebraska's band visited in 2013. if they let our band do a similar thing to what we let them do, our band will split both pregame and halftime with their band. Then they'll probably be in the stands somewhere near the visitors section. However, I could be completely off since I am no longer in the band and have no idea what the plans are :p

There are a lot of cool bars around the stadium. They are busy but use to the crowds. Traffic in and out of Lincoln is a disaster.

I'll figure out where our tailgate will be and post it in here. Staying with family in Lincoln, so will be tailgating with 40 Husker fans and 4 Gopher fans. Planning to bring the young kids Row The Boat t-shirts as a thank you gift for letting us stay with them.

We too will be making our fourth trip to Lincoln (as long as the Huskers have been in the conference). Echoing the fact that Husker fans are just so darn nice. We'll have 6 of us, and we'll be hitting our usual watering holes in downtown Lincoln. Check out Barry's and their rooftop bar, Boiler Brewing has great beer, gotta go to Single Barrel and hear the Side Track Band (they are a game day tradition). They even invite the visiting team's fans on stage to sing their team's fight song. (I've been up there twice singing the Rouser!). Grilled hot wings at The Watering Hole can't be beat, Jake's Cigars and Spirits always has unique and hard to find beers on tap, and the last time I was in there, people were allowed to smoke cigars in side. I could go on and on. Bottom line----a road trip to Lincoln is probably the best one in the BIG.

I echo the Single Barrel. Its packed with hardcore Huskers but they treat visiting fans very well. Brush up on the Rouser as you will be called up to the stage. The Side Track Band is a hoot as they play old time standards and have changed the lyrics to the likes of Husker fans. Keeps the place rockin. The Husker Alumni Band made an appearance there too which was fun to see.

Lincoln has a really neat little downtown area adjacent to the campus, but next to it is an old town area called "the Haymarket."That is where the best restaurants and bars are. The fact that the campus is downtown is a huge boost to that area and has kept movies, bars, restaurants going. The government is also downtown and the State Capitol is worth a look, but probably closed on weekends. If you are there a day or so earlier, check out the Art Deco interior and the historical murals in the State Capitol building.

We've been down for every Gopher game there. We've always tailgated in the lots around the Haymarket Park baseball stadium. Lots 20 or 21. We try to get there early to get one of the outer edge spots so we can back up to the grass. As I recall the only restrooms are in either the baseball stadium or softball stadium buildings so if you are parked in the far corners it's a little bit of a hike but not too bad.

I'm on a trip #2

I just bar hop around stadium, lot of fun

Lincoln has a really neat little downtown area adjacent to the campus, but next to it is an old town area called "the Haymarket."That is where the best restaurants and bars are. The fact that the campus is downtown is a huge boost to that area and has kept movies, bars, restaurants going. The government is also downtown and the State Capitol is worth a look, but probably closed on weekends. If you are there a day or so earlier, check out the Art Deco interior and the historical murals in the State Capitol building.

That sounds cool. Similarly, Madison is the capital and it is fun walking around that area.

In another universe/timeline, it would have been cool if the capital of Minn was in a smaller town, maybe Rochester, and the U of Minn was co-located there.

I'm going to Lincoln my first time with another Gopher fan. Anyone open to two late 30 somethings crashing their tailgate (contributions of course...)?

I'm going to Lincoln my first time with another Gopher fan. Anyone open to two late 30 somethings crashing their tailgate (contributions of course...)?

You can probably just buy a case, show up to the lots, and start walking around. If you're wearing the right colors, someone will adopt you! Cheers!

Heading out Friday morning. Plan to stop in DesMo for late lunch and roll into Omaha, settle in, and probably hit Old Market for dinner and drinks.

Be sure to have a Runza sandwich at the stadium.

It's the Nebraska version of a pasty if you know your Iron Range cuisine.

Not sure if I'll have one again but certainly didn't mind it on a cold stadium afternoon. Safe travels to all.

Last edited:

Heading out Friday morning. Plan to stop in DesMo for late lunch and roll into Omaha, settle in, and probably hit Old Market for dinner and drinks.

That BBQ joint in Des Moines next to the Harley Dealer is a must stop for lunch on the roadtrip there.

It's the Nebraska version of a pastey if you know your Iron Range cuisine.

Not sure if I'll have one again but certainly didn't mind it on a cold stadium afternoon. Safe travels to all.

That would require me knowing what a pastey is. We are heading down Friday morning, staying in Omaha. FYI, Nebraska Omaha is playing Notre Dame Friday night so we are going to catch that if there are any hockey fans here.

It's the Nebraska version of a pastey if you know your Iron Range cuisine.

Ranger here so definitely looking forward to trying that out this weekend! Heading down with 2 other guys but don't have tickets yet so from the people that have been there before, do you think it's easier to scalp them before the game or get them this week before we go down there? Obviously with 3 guys, it's an odd number so it's looking like if we order them now, we will have to get 2 and then 1 separate ticket in a different section. But just wanted to see what people thought who have been down there before.

My son and I are heading out first thing Friday morning. I was able to find a hotel in Lincoln just this past week for Friday night which surprised me.

I've been to games at Nebraska twice, but never with the Gophers. I'm pumped!!

Go Gophers!!

Is the marching band (full or half) still making the trip to Lincoln?

Top Bottom