Nebraska Road Trip

Would love to be going again this year. Went two years ago and had a blast in Lincoln despite the tough loss. Tailgating was EASY. We tailgated at the baseball stadium (not a bad walk to Memorial Stadium from there) and the lot was full, with lots of friendly people to visit with. I wouldn't have changed a thing (other than the score of the game). We were impressed with how nice everyone was and how willing people were to have conversations about the teams or college football in general. Work "stuff" got in the way of a return trip this year but we hope to do it again next time. Road trips to other B1G stadiums in general are a blast.

I'm leaving Thursday, stopping in Luverne for a night to meet up with family, then the convoy is headed to Lincoln!

4 Gopher fans and about 20 Husker fans in the group. Last time we did this, 2014, was one of the happiest sports moments of my life

Last edited:

Leaving Rochester Friday morning with 6 of us in a Suburban (meeting our friend from Chicago in Lincoln), for a total of 7 at the game. Going to Hit El Bait Shop in Des Moines on the way down. Hit Smokey D's on the way home. PLUS all the fun places in Lincoln while we are there.

Should be another ELITE road trip to Nebraska!

Is the marching band (full or half) still making the trip to Lincoln?

I can confirm that the band (full) is going to Nebraska. My son is a Sophomore in the Clarinet section and I will be driving from Colorado to the game. Here is what I know:

Busses leave at 4:15 Friday and the band is spending the night in Omaha at the Courtyard. They load up Saturday morning and leave for Lincoln arriving at about 9:30AM for rehearsal with the Nebraska band. Inspection is at 12:40PM and they will march from Westbrook Music Building to Memorial Stadium. They will be doing a pregame, halftime and postgame performances and the busses will leave Lincoln for Minneapolis after grabbing dinner. They expect to arrive at TCF around 1AM Sunday.

I just read the Haymarket Park Football parking regulations and it noted that no alcoholic beverages were allowed.

Does anyone with previous experience there know if this is code for keep it in a red Solo cup?

I was on the fence between trying to do some early tailating, or just parking near the Pinnacle Arena and having a few pre-game drinks in the downtown establishments and stick around to eat some food and get fully clear headed for the drive back to Omaha a few hours after the game.

https://haymarketpark.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-Football-Parking-Rules.pdf

I can confirm that the band (full) is going to Nebraska. My son is a Sophomore in the Clarinet section and I will be driving from Colorado to the game. Here is what I know:

Busses leave at 4:15 Friday and the band is spending the night in Omaha at the Courtyard. They load up Saturday morning and leave for Lincoln arriving at about 9:30AM for rehearsal with the Nebraska band. Inspection is at 12:40PM and they will march from Westbrook Music Building to Memorial Stadium. They will be doing a pregame, halftime and postgame performances and the busses will leave Lincoln for Minneapolis after grabbing dinner. They expect to arrive at TCF around 1AM Sunday.

Please let us know when you find out when the band is slated to depart from the UNL Music Hall for the stadium, and if they intend to make any other stops at a lot or two.

I just read the Haymarket Park Football parking regulations and it noted that no alcoholic beverages were allowed.

Does anyone with previous experience there know if this is code for keep it in a red Solo cup?

I was on the fence between trying to do some early tailating, or just parking near the Pinnacle Arena and having a few pre-game drinks in the downtown establishments and stick around to eat some food and get fully clear headed for the drive back to Omaha a few hours after the game.

https://haymarketpark.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/2017-Football-Parking-Rules.pdf

Oak_street, I did some online research on that very topic. Based on message boards - I believe the red solo cup is accepted practice unless you are wild and causing issues. I can’t confirm that, but am confident enough that I’m going with that. I have a parking pass at a Haymarket lot Saturday and the back of it mentions no alcohol, but also that one can tailgate. Come on now - who tailgates w/o booze? My group is banking on the solo cup rule and will be at the lot bright and early. Good Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oak_street, I did some online research on that very topic. Based on message boards - I believe the red solo cup is accepted practice unless you are wild and causing issues. I can’t confirm that, but am confident enough that I’m going with that. I have a parking pass at a Haymarket lot Saturday and the back of it mentions no alcohol, but also that one can tailgate. Come on now - who tailgates w/o booze? My group is banking on the solo cup rule and will be at the lot bright and early. Good Luck.

Thank you Spoofin. As I will be in Omaha-Old Town the night before, I have some decisions to make on how early to leave for Lincoln (I80 vs Cornhusker HWY, and whether to park in a Garage and hit a bar or five, or find a lot and settle down.

The Band apparently is arriving in Omaha Friday late per a band parent, and staying at my hotel (Courtyard) before leaving for Lincoln by 9:40 AM.. Also the full 300 plus band
will be marching from the UNL music building south of the stadium and east of downtown sometime after 1PM, so it will be an interesting Saturday AM.

I was hoping for some Alumni pregame event like before the UNLV and USC road games, since the band is going to be there, but apparently that is not in the cards.

Last edited:

Red solo cup is absolutely the way to go. Drinking will take place everywhere.

My first trip to Nebraska to see a Gopher vs Husker game and I am looking forward to it. Traveling with an experienced group so it should be fun.

Anyone know how the lots NW of Memorial Stadium (around the baseball stadium) are filled? Are there assigned space numbers, an organized "fill-in as you arrive" system or is it a free for all? Planning to have a small group in 2-3 vehicles and we want to park together.

Just curious, but why are so many fans staying in Omaha?? Am guessing it's some combo of cost, hotel shortage etc. But battling that traffic in/out of Lincoln will be nasty, and for me half the fun of a road game is experiencing the campus, college town etc.

FYI for those concerned about hotel costs- I stayed at an Air BNB in Lincoln in 2016 and it was quite affordable and convenient.

Thanks for the info -- I'm sure we'll be on the opposite side of the stadium from the band but hopefully we'll hear them loud and clear (and often).

Just curious, but why are so many fans staying in Omaha?? Am guessing it's some combo of cost, hotel shortage etc. But battling that traffic in/out of Lincoln will be nasty, and for me half the fun of a road game is experiencing the campus, college town etc.

FYI for those concerned about hotel costs- I stayed at an Air BNB in Lincoln in 2016 and it was quite affordable and convenient.

Going in Friday...convenient, more lodging choices, more things to do, some are flying in. Plan on spending most of Saturday in Lincoln...2-3 hours before and after the game.

Red solo cup is absolutely the way to go. Drinking will take place everywhere.

This. And koozies. They don't want to see you carrying a can of beer but are happy to see you carrying a koozie with a can of soda in it ;)

We will miss the trip to Lincoln. We choose to stay in West Omaha basically for convenience and to use our rewards points plus it shortened the long ride back to Bayfield by an hour. We found some good places to eat and drink filled with football fans.

We used the interstate to the game and we left early for a 11am start. No problem and we had a parking spot reserved. We really enjoyed the Single Barrel bar and the Sidetrack Band was a hoot. We took the back roads to Omaha after the game which worked out well.

This. And koozies. They don't want to see you carrying a can of beer but are happy to see you carrying a koozie with a can of soda in it ;)

Yeah, don't walk around with a can or bottle... they will bust you.... politely, but they will bust you.
Wish I were making the trip, had a great time at the establishments on "O" Street in 2016. Never had so many drinks purchased for me by locals in my life.

.Wish I were making the trip, had a great time at the establishments on "O" Street in 2016. Never had so many drinks purchased for me by locals in my life.

It really is incredible. I'd say 5-6 drinks EASY were bought for me/my group on my two previous trips to Lincoln.

Please let us know when you find out when the band is slated to depart from the UNL Music Hall for the stadium, and if they intend to make any other stops at a lot or two.
My son said they are meeting at Westbrook Music Building for Inspection at 12:40 and marching to Memorial Stadium starting at 1PM. Not sure about stopping at tailgate sites.

I'm so excited for this weekend already. Cannot wait. Weather looks PERFECT

Excited to see this game. Leaving Friday with my two sons and meeting my Uncle and cousin in Lincoln, so 5 of us in maroon and gold. Go Gophers!

Me and my friend are making the trip down from the U, but we need help with parking. Is there a place were you can park cheaply?

I believe roughly 1:00 and no. I'm guessing a performance schedule will be posted on social media on gameday that is more accurate though.

Top Bottom