Kirk Ferentz on Iowa-Minnesota rivalry: We play for the best trophy in college fball

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Cunningham:

Who has the best rivalry in all of sports?

What about the best rivalry in college football? Better yet, which rivalry game has the best trophy in the sport we all love?

You’d have to think long and hard and probably have to do some research on exactly which trophies are presented to the winning teams of each rivalry game, but look no further than right smack in the middle of the Big Ten.

Iowa-Minnesota. The Hawkeyes and Golden Gophers play for the Floyd of Rosedale. The trophy itself is an award-winning prize pig.

Here’s what Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said about it:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well, there you have it. The best trophy in all of college football is given to the winner of Iowa-Minnesota.

I mean, who can argue with a pig?

https://saturdaytradition.com/iowa-...play-for-the-best-trophy-in-college-football/

Go Gophers!!

Depends whether you are a "old" timer or not BUT to me its the JUG, the oldest traveling trophy in college football. To bad we don't play for it every year.

I still find it ridiculous that Gophers have rivalry trophies with teams they don't play every year. Obviously the B10 restructure created a lot of this and the addition of Rutgers and Maryland did not help.

Ranked- 1) Floyd 2) Jug 3) Axe 4)Victory Bell

I'd agree with him that Floyd is the best trophy in CFB.

I love the jug, but there's something about the pig that is so unique and absurd at the same time. The axe is great, but doesn't have the history

The Jug is a jug, The Axe is an axe, But the Pig has a name and a hometown. Better backstory = better trophy. :)

I'm split between the Jug and the Pig. Both are cool and do admit its exciting that a couple guys have to carry the Pig.

To be honest. It's been so long since you have won the Axe I can't blame the younger people here as most have never seen it.

Here is a pic of a Wis player showing a Minnesota fan what it looks like.
AXE.jpg

In the era of made-up awards and contrived trophies... Floyd is the real deal. Definitely the best one.

I recall hearing these were all trinket games... ;)

Top Bottom