How do the Big Ten offensive lines stack up after 5 weeks of action? (#4. Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Not sure I understand. Maryland is at 10 and were at 4? I suppose the first three games come in to play with this.

Someone has not been watching any Gopher Football...

There are two things we're better off not knowing: How sausage is made, and how rankings like this are created. ;)

Thanks for combining both in one graphic!

JTG

Someone has not been watching any Gopher Football...

Actually, PFF watches every player on every play.

I don't know, however, that they adjust for schedule/competition. So if a Minnesota O-Lineman beats the NMSU D-Lineman on one play, it probably counts the same as beating the Maryland D-Lineman.

Actually, PFF watches every player on every play.

I don't know, however, that they adjust for schedule/competition. So if a Minnesota O-Lineman beats the NMSU D-Lineman on one play, it probably counts the same as beating the Maryland D-Lineman.

Its hard to know because none of them ever beat a Maryland d-lineman

There are two things we're better off not knowing: How sausage is made, and how rankings like this are created. ;)

Thanks for combining both in one graphic!

JTG

"People who love sausage and respect the law should never watch either one ... Otto von Bismarck (1815-1898)

It is just one of those mysteries that is beyond believe.

I'd love for this to be true but after the last game I don't see how anyone who watched that game would come to this conclusion.

This is wholly incorrect. I would put us near Nebraska..

I can definitely see it if you just ignore the right side.
As with everything, makes more sense if you actually read the analysis.
Can't say I disagree with it.

The Golden Gophers have been solid both as pass-blockers and run-blockers, with PFF grades of 74.4 and 71.1, respectively. With 22 total pressures allowed from 127 pass-blocking snaps, their 89.8 pass-blocking efficiency ranks seventh in the conference as center Jared Weyler has yet to allow a sack, hit or hurry all season. Every starter on the offensive line has produced a PFF run-blocking grade of 60.0 or higher and right tackle Sam Schlueter is the only starter with a pass-blocking grade lower than 75.0. They might not be quite as dominant as the three teams above them but they have been pretty solid across the board so far in 2018.

Last edited:

Replying to hello-world's post

That sounds reasonable ... but I highly doubt those grades account for the quality of the competition (or lack thereof).

Don't get me wrong: As long as we're going to keep stats on everything, this metric has as much value as many. And it's certainly worthwhile knowing Weyler hasn't allowed a sack or hurry all season. That's great to see.

However, I suspect Minnesota will slide down the rankings as the season progresses.

JTG

Replying to hello-world's post

That sounds reasonable ... but I highly doubt those grades account for the quality of the competition (or lack thereof).

Don't get me wrong: As long as we're going to keep stats on everything, this metric has as much value as many. And it's certainly worthwhile knowing Weyler hasn't allowed a sack or hurry all season. That's great to see.

However, I suspect Minnesota will slide down the rankings as the season progresses.

JTG

I think y'all are a little too low on our SOR. Maryland's loss to Temple started to look like a mirage last week. Guess we'll see tho.

This week will be pivotal in answering whether last week was a mourning Connelly/Winfield injury inspired flop or whether the Gophers are that bad. I am hoping it is the former of course, but we'll see. Regardless of outcome, if the O-line can create some holes for running and time for Annexstad then the season still has hope. If they constantly get whooped like they did at Maryland, it could be an ugly year the rest of the way.

You would think the Gophers O-lineman would be a little peeved off about bad talk?

This week will be pivotal in answering whether last week was a mourning Connelly/Winfield injury inspired flop or whether the Gophers are that bad. I am hoping it is the former of course, but we'll see. Regardless of outcome, if the O-line can create some holes for running and time for Annexstad then the season still has hope. If they constantly get whooped like they did at Maryland, it could be an ugly year the rest of the way.

There has been a lot of substantive talk that the Gophers have had bad offensive line play all four games this season. I would not go that far but you would think the media and the fans in this town have been talking about the Vikings when they describe the Gophers as having a poor offensive line. The scheme seems correct to me with the exception of having tight ends try and block defensive ends one on one at the line of scrimmage. Where breakdowns have occured to me it is the tight ends and the running backs doing a very poor job of picking up blitzes and not attacking the blitzing linebackers. I would like to see more of a two back set this weekend with more use of a fullback or Femi Cole to pick up blitzers as I feel the Gophers are going to have to pass a lot to beat the the Hawkeyes. With those guy's aggression you seem like you could hit those little dump in the middle screens, the middle screen passes they used to run to David Cobb so well against Nebraska. Back to the O-line a lot of people calling them weak and bad, I am hoping they get their dander up a little bit, are more than a little p!ssed off about being told how bad they are and really show up to play on Saturday. We can hope the O line comes to play on Saturday and the backs have the patience and the vision to find the creases and make some plays.

Top Bottom