Is the Offensive Line in Critical Condition?

Not all the guys are young, and a lot of the plays where they were getting beat were not young guys. If your point of emphasis was that the young guys waiting in the wings are not ready but will be an upgrade I can understand. However there are guys who have started a lot of games on that line. I'm more concerned in how they continue to improve as the year goes on, they need to get better in the BiG. It's only one game so far so I'm willing to be patient.

Not all the guys are young, and a lot of the plays where they were getting beat were not young guys. If your point of emphasis was that the young guys waiting in the wings are not ready but will be an upgrade I can understand. However there are guys who have started a lot of games on that line. I'm more concerned in how they continue to improve as the year goes on, they need to get better in the BiG. It's only one game so far so I'm willing to be patient.

True. The only new starter is Andries. Weyler has played a bunch, and is arguably the captain of the OL. Olson started every game last year at guard. But for those three interior guys, I don't recall them getting beat a lot vs Maryland. Could be remembering wrong.

Schlueter and Greene both started last year, and Greene had starts in 2016 too. And my memory is that edge rushers for Maryland are where we really got embarrassed, though as I've noted several times a couple of those were due to have the TE solo pass-pro and getting simply overwhelmed/bowled over.

We have capable upperclassmen backups at G and T in Oseland and Dovich. But I don't think we'll see them in significant action unless there is an injury, or the starter simply falls off a cliff in terms of getting beat.

Dunlap and Faalele will be on the field again this year. They'll get their four games. That's the new normal for high end recruits ... part of the sell job now is that they get to play their true freshman year in up to four games.

Top Bottom