Is the Offensive Line in Critical Condition?

hungan1

Reaction score
From where I stand, the Offensive Line may be in critical condition at the start of Big Ten play. More importantly, the Gophers ability to block effectively on offense as a team may be on life support. I hope I am wrong and they snap out of it.

They could barely get five healthy serviceable linemen last season. Now, there are problems with all the blockers NOT clicking together. I mean not just the linemen. We have TEs, RBs, and FB that can't hold blocks at times. IMHO, Job No. 1 for everyone not running, catching, or throwing/handing the ball is to block. More importantly, to protect the quarterback. Without adequate blocking, there is no credible offense.

The only positive take on the Maryland game is that they exposed a lot of vulnerabilities early in the season. There is a lot of film study.

We cannot lose Zack Annexstad for the rest of the season. He is getting killed.

Is it a coaching problem, or is it personnel, or both? Just asking.

I sure hate to see more red shirts burned. That may not necessarily be the answer. They need to emphasize and teach fundamentals of blocking. Something needs to be done quickly. Instead of fighting for a bowl game, they may be fighting to get out of last place unless something is done soon.

Watch any NDSU or Wisconsin games. You can see that they got blocking fundamentals down to a science. It is no accident that NDSU are five-time National Champs. They may have one NFL caliber blocker. It appears that the rest of the players are coached up with good sound fundamentals. If NDSU can achieve it it with zero to mostly two stars and beat teams like Iowa proves that it can be done with great coaching and conditioning.

It won't be pretty if they are in last place overall in the Big Ten from the standpoint of recruiting.

What are your thoughts?

2018 Gophers Offensive Line
Donnell Greene--------6-7 320 R-Sr., Marietta, Ga. / Kell Coffeyville CC
Jared Weyler-----------6-4 300 R-Sr., Dayton, Oh / Centerville

Bronson Dovich--------6-5 300 R-Jr., Chaska, Mn. / Chaska
Quinn Oseland---------6-6 305 R-Jr., Springfield, Il. / Sacred Heart Griffin

Sam Schlueter---------6-6 305 R-So., Victoria, Mn. / Mayer Lutheran
Ben Davis--------------6-4 280 R-So., Elk Grove, Ca. / American River C
Conner Olson----------6-5 300 R-So, .Monticello, Mn. / Monticello

Blaise Andries---------6-5 315 R-Fr., Marshall, Mn. / Marshall
John Michael Schmitz-6-4 300 R-Fr., Flossmoor, Il. / Homewood-Flossmoor
Axel Ruschmeyer------6-4 285 R-Fr., Hutchinson, Mn. / Holy Family
Kyle Sassack-----------6-7 290 R-Fr., Pontiac, Mich. / Notre Dame Prep

Austin Beier-----------6-4 285 Fr., Toledo, Ohio / St. John's
Nathan Boe-----------6-4 285 Fr., Lakeville, Minn. / Lakeville North
Curtis Dunlap Jr.------6-5 370 Fr., Jacksonville, Fla. / IMG Academy
Daniel Faalele---------6-9 400 Fr., Melbourne, Australia / IMG Academy
Grant Norton----------6-8 260 Fr., Camdenton, Mo. / Camdenton
Jack York--------------6-6 300 Fr., Dallas, Texas / First Baptist Academy

Last edited:

From where I stand, the Offensive Line may be in critical condition at the start of Big Ten play. I hope I am wrong and that they snap out of it.

They could barely get five healthy serviceable linemen starting with last season. Is it a coaching problem, or is it personnel, or both? Just asking.

I sure hate to see more red shirts burned. But, they need to do something. Instead of fighting for a bowl game, they may be fighting to get out of last place unless something is done soon.

What are your thoughts?

What exactly can he do "soon".... You saying he should start playing some freshman? You think that's going to solve our problems by giving players thier first PT in Big 10 Play.

I really don't think starting other guys is going to help.

If only we could find a rental great OL coach somewhere.... oh we already did that...

I don't think it is panic time. The OL has been an issue for a while, it wasn't going to just be better because folks were finally healthy for sprig practice.

Lets hope ZA has more mobility and be able move out the pocket if needed and also some roll-outs. Some play action short hooks to the TE and passes to the RB in the flat would be nice to see as well. Assuming we have guys that can make those plays. Rodney??

Lets hope ZA has more mobility and be able move out the pocket if needed and also some roll-outs. Some play action short hooks to the TE and passes to the RB in the flat would be nice to see as well. Assuming we have guys that can make those plays. Rodney??

I fear that no amount of running or rolling out really ever solves an OL problem, or even mitigates it much outside of say some super star QBs that can make magic out of muck.

From where I stand, the Offensive Line may be in critical condition at the start of Big Ten play. I hope I am wrong and that they snap out of it.

They could barely get five healthy serviceable linemen last season. They have problems clicking together now. I mean not just the linemen. We have TEs, RBs, and FB that can't hold blocks at times. Without adequate blocking, there is no credible offense.

I sure hate to see more red shirts burned. But, they need to do something. Instead of fighting for a bowl game, they may be fighting to get out of last place unless something is done soon.

What are your thoughts?

The player list was very helpful! We should have a better idea after the Iowa game. While it's understandable that Iowa is favored; I'm not that impressed. If Minnesota is blown out at home; then I would be very concerned. It seems clear that the OL talent is very young.
If any of the true freshmen look like they could actually help, maybe try them in a winnable home game. In the meantime, do any of the RS-Freshmen besides Andries look like they could help?
I'm reluctant to burn any redshirts unless they have a good chance of helping to win 3 games. Since the Gophers had to use the 2019 class to build the DL, I don't know how long it will be until the Gophers have a strong OL. For now, I'll be satisfied if this year's OL and DL are able to help win 3 more games.

Didn't realize 13 of our 17 offensive linemen were freshmen or sophomores. That says a lot. On the line, a year or two of physical development can make a huge difference. Of course, that doesn't do much for us this year.

I fear that no amount of running or rolling out really ever solves an OL problem, or even mitigates it much outside of say some super star QBs that can make magic out of muck.

I'll agree, to a certain extent. Rolling out, getting the ball out early, keeping a back or tight end in to help block, etc., are all Band-aids. Unfortunately, even if you use enough Band-aids, you don't necessarily end up with a bandage. But you may slow the bleeding.

I'll be watching pass protection a little closer against Iowa, to see if we're doing anything differently or better.

JTG

Didn't realize 13 of our 17 offensive linemen were freshmen or sophomores. That says a lot. On the line, a year or two of physical development can make a huge difference. Of course, that doesn't do much for us this year.

I'll agree, to a certain extent. Rolling out, getting the ball out early, keeping a back or tight end in to help block, etc., are all Band-aids. Unfortunately, even if you use enough Band-aids, you don't necessarily end up with a bandage. But you may slow the bleeding.

I'll be watching pass protection a little closer against Iowa, to see if we're doing anything differently or better.

JTG

I've been watching the OL at home closely.... I was worried when New Mexico State was getting a good push on our OL early on in that game, without any blitzing or wonky match-ups. Our OL stiffened up nicely as the game went on, but in no way that should happen at any time vs New Mexico State... I knew we were likely still in trouble then.

Some of us are delusional. If Faalele or Dunlop were noticeably better than the guys playing right now they would be. I am a huge Fleck fan, but if he is leaving better players on the bench he should be fired on the spot. If they are the same or slightly below (although more potential upside) they will redshirt.

I've been watching the OL at home closely.... I was worried when New Mexico State was getting a good push on our OL early on in that game, without any blitzing or wonky match-ups. Our OL stiffened up nicely as the game went on, but in no way that should happen at any time vs New Mexico State... I knew we were likely still in trouble then.

I was at the New Mexico St. game, and my perch in the end zone below the plaza allowed an especially good vantage point to watch the line. My three impressions from that game:

1) ZA has the makings of a big-time QB.
2) Our speed on defense is impressive.
3) The OL and DL lines need lots of development.

JTG

Let me emphasize that I don't think burning additional red shirts will mitigate the problems at hand. It may even create problems down the road if you sacrifice the long term future.

There is obviously failures at all levels. The onus is on the coaches to teach sound blocking and team engagement. When they throw in TEs to help Schlueter and still get bitten, it points to two possible things: 1. Maryland's talent level is legit and they were well coached and had a good game plan; 2. The Gophers could not match personnel-wise, but more importantly it is youth and coaching.

The Iowa game will determine what it is that ails the Gophers. Talent-wise, Iowa is ranked 42nd. For comparison, the Gophers are at 48th, and Wisconsin is at 35th. BTW, Maryland is ranked 24th, and NDSU is 151st.

Iowa is ahead in talent ranking slightly over the Gophers. If the Gophers can play a close game, I will feel better. If they can muster enough guts and anger and beat Iowa, I will feel great. If they get blown out, the Gophers have to seriously look at how they coach the mostly young personnel.

Here are the 2018 247 Sports National Talent Rankings for the teams being discussed:

MD - 24th, 5*=2, 4*=17, 3*=59, Avg Composite=86.01, Team Pts=725.94
MN - 48th, 4*=4, 3*=70, Avg Composites=83.01, Team Pts=588.97
IA - 42th, 5*=1, 4*=3, 3*=61, Avg Composites=84.86, Team Pts=615.08
WI - 35th, 4*=7, 3*=73, Avg Composites=85.34, Team Pts=653.50
NDSU -151st, 3*=3, Avg Composites=76.11, Team Pts=83.68

It is amazing that NDSU could beat Iowa, but they did. That is what great coaching fundamentals does.

I hate to say it, but in spite of a great recruiting class last year and slightly lower this year, the fruits will bear further down the road. For now, Gophers need to focus on sound coaching more so than ever to the mostly young players. They do need to recruit solid players like Wisconsin does. They don't have to be 4-Stars.

Last edited:

The loss of Jason Dickson really has hurt us. He was juco with experience and reasonably high rated. He will be back for two years starting next year.

Yes but we knew it was a unit that was going to be a liability before we came into the year. They have 3 above average guys playing, 1 average, 1 struggling and then little to no depth ready to go.

I know the Maryland game was bad, but the gloom and doom on here is getting a little carried away. Maryland is a good team. It was the Gophers first road game with a young team a few days after the death of a former offensive lineman who was starting at this time last year. The offensive line play hasn't been great since Mason left. It's going to take time to develop all of these young lineman. I expect a much better effort against Iowa this week, a team I think the Gophers match up better with than Maryland.

Remember this is still a team that beat a solid Fresno St team at home. A team that has blown out everyone else they've played.

Too many boys, not enough men. Also the NDSU line would get exposed if they played a full FBS schedule

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I think when Fleck talks about competing in 19 and 20, the OL and DL are big reasons why. He took over a program with no depth on the lines. I believe Claeys had 0 DT commits. Hard to come in and turn water into wine. Takes time to recruit, develop, teach, etc.

Now, in 2-3 years if our OL is still a major issue, then Fleck has some explaining to do. He needs at least 4 full recruiting classes before we can judge the makeup of the roster (I AM NOT SAYING HE CAN'T WIN RIGHT NOW) so lets give him that.

Too many boys, not enough men. Also the NDSU line would get exposed if they played a full FBS schedule

They win games against Iowa, Kansas, KSU, etc because its their super bowl. They prep for it, get up for 1 game, then go back to playing mediocre competition until they reach the playoffs.

If they played Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa and Minnesota in 4 straight weeks, they would get exposed.

The margins are so tight this year for the Gophers to earn those three victories for a bowl game.

You are absolutely right. It is not all gloom and doom. It is more like bloom with the mostly young crop.

Maryland is as good a talented team the Gophers will face this year. Maryland has had three consecutive good recruiting classes: 2018 28; 2017 - 18; 2016 - 41. They showed in their team speed and their DL. The Gophers on the other hand: 2018 - 38; 2017 - 59; 2016 - 46. They were playing at home with greater talent. The Gophers were playing with a heavy heart and sustained an injury to one of their important leaders on Defense in Winfield.

There is no delusion that they need to build up the O-Line which takes time, patience, and two to three more good recruiting classes. They finally got a QB with some promise.

Last edited:

From where I stand, the Offensive Line may be in critical condition at the start of Big Ten play. More importantly, the Gophers ability to block effectively on offense as a team may be on life support. I hope I am wrong and they snap out of it.

They could barely get five healthy serviceable linemen last season. Now, there are problems with all the blockers NOT clicking together. I mean not just the linemen. We have TEs, RBs, and FB that can't hold blocks at times. IMHO, Job No. 1 for everyone not running, catching, or throwing/handing the ball is to block. More importantly, to protect the quarterback. Without adequate blocking, there is no credible offense.

The only positive take on the Maryland game is that they exposed a lot of vulnerabilities early in the season. There is a lot of film study.

I sure hate to see more red shirts burned. That may not necessarily be the answer. They need to emphasize and teach fundamentals of blocking. Something needs to be done quickly. Instead of fighting for a bowl game, they may be fighting to get out of last place unless something is done soon.

Watch any NDSU or Wisconsin games. You can see that they got blocking fundamentals down to a science. It is no accident that NDSU are five-time National Champs. They may have one NFL caliber blocker. It appears that the rest of the players are coached up with good sound fundamentals. If NDSU can achieve it it with zero to mostly two stars and beat teams like Iowa proves that it can be done with great coaching and conditioning.

It won't be pretty if they are in last place overall in the Big Ten from the standpoint of recruiting.

What are your thoughts?

You put your finger on the difference-maker...coaching. Fleck and Co will sink or swim on their ability to coach up players, have the bench ready to step in, and to make timely, smart in game adjustments. I still believe there are five more wins to be had on the schedule.

Dunlop is better and has better pure physical talent

Some of us are delusional. If Faalele or Dunlop were noticeably better than the guys playing right now they would be. I am a huge Fleck fan, but if he is leaving better players on the bench he should be fired on the spot. If they are the same or slightly below (although more potential upside) they will redshirt.

The little bit we did get to see Dunlop play he was whipping his man and had a mean streak none of the other guys seem to have. I'm not one of the coaches but just from observation I think Dunlop already has more physical strength than our current right tackle. I would start him there but I do not see them every day in practice so the coaches know something I do not.

The little bit we did get to see Dunlop play he was whipping his man and had a mean streak none of the other guys seem to have. I'm not one of the coaches but just from observation I think Dunlop already has more physical strength than our current right tackle. I would start him there but I do not see them every day in practice so the coaches know something I do not.

I agree with you. PJ is looking at the future. If Dunlop redshirts, he could become dominant as a RS-JR or RS-SR. Being marginally better now doesn't help enough to sacrifice the future.

I think Fleck does "Don't sacrifice what you really want later for what you want now" or something cool as hell like that.

Keep the red shirt on Dunlop. We will have Dickson, Faalele and Dunlop added to the OL next year.

Would play Dunlop against Iowa while still trying to maintain his red-shirt

They get to play 4 games as reshirts correct, I would start Dunlop or play Dunlop against Iowa, they need his strength and beef for that front 7.

I know this is only a small piece of it .... BUT: for goodness sake don't have TE's always staying in to block and then assigning them to block 1-on-1 in pass pro at the line! That's just asking for a sack lunch.

If you're gonna keep TE in to max protect, then have them in the backfield somewhere or in a staggered lineup, so the rushing/blitzing defender can't just bowl them over. It's bad enough when that happens to our OT ....

They get to play 4 games as reshirts correct, I would start Dunlop or play Dunlop against Iowa, they need his strength and beef for that front 7.

I know people are itching to see these guys, and they were highly rated recruits. Please have patience. I can almost guarantee these guys just aren't ready yet.

And it's not like our starting OL are tiny!! They're big, strong, men. Patience

I know people are itching to see these guys, and they were highly rated recruits. Please have patience. I can almost guarantee these guys just aren't ready yet.

And it's not like our starting OL are tiny!! They're big, strong, men. Patience

True. The Gophers have never had OLinemen start as true freshmen and succeed wildly...

Or...

I know the Maryland game was bad, but the gloom and doom on here is getting a little carried away. Maryland is a good team. It was the Gophers first road game with a young team a few days after the death of a former offensive lineman who was starting at this time last year. The offensive line play hasn't been great since Mason left. It's going to take time to develop all of these young lineman. I expect a much better effort against Iowa this week, a team I think the Gophers match up better with than Maryland.

Remember this is still a team that beat a solid Fresno St team at home. A team that has blown out everyone else they've played.
Honestly I'm too lazy to look up Maryland's crossover games, they're not bad, but they won't beat any of the four headed monster in the east this year, they'll crush Rutgers, guessing the IU game will decide which one of those teams will go bowling. They're in a tough spot

I know this is only a small piece of it .... BUT: for goodness sake don't have TE's always staying in to block and then assigning them to block 1-on-1 in pass pro at the line! That's just asking for a sack lunch.

If you're gonna keep TE in to max protect, then have them in the backfield somewhere or in a staggered lineup, so the rushing/blitzing defender can't just bowl them over. It's bad enough when that happens to our OT ....

AND ... I'm not a fan of bringing the TE across the formation after the snap to pick up the outside rusher, which we have tried a few times, and failed at more often than not. That's just asking too much of your TE.

JTG

Patience! Trust the system. Our guys are young as it has been pointed out

Top Bottom