Max Musselman will be a student manager for Whalen

per Shooter:

Max Musselman, 23, has become a student manager for first-year Gophers women’s coach Lindsay Whalen. Max is Bill’s second son. Oldest son Eric, 53, a two-time NBA head coach, now is coaching Nevada-Reno, which is 81-29 entering his fourth season. The Mountain West coach of the year has built Nevada into a top program.

The Musselman name, Whalen said, didn’t influence Max’s hiring.

“He wanted to be a manager — I found that out (about his ancestry) the other day and it was like, ‘that’s pretty cool,’ ” Whalen, 36, said.

Max, who has some of the same energy and love of basketball as his father and paternal half-brother, said last week he still doesn’t know if Whalen knows of his Musselman lineage.

“I just kind of sought the opportunity myself,” he said. “I had been looking for a while to get involved, and once Lindsay took the job — I’ve always respected her and her amazing career — I wanted the opportunity to absorb and learn from her.”

Musselman, a Minnetonka grad, is studying finance and management information systems as a sophomore at Minnesota. He would like to coach some day and is interested in the analytics of the game as well as the basketball side.

Would his father be proud that he’s involved in Gophers basketball?

“I sure hope so,” Max said. “That was a big reason that I came here, all his history at the school. To be involved in the program, it just feels right. It feels awesome.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/10/06/3193872/

Go Gophers!!

Maybe Max could put the pre-game show together also!

Top Bottom