Dutcher on U: I think MN has a really good blend of returning players and newcomers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

Jim Dutcher coached the Gophers men’s basketball team to its last Big Ten championship in 1981-82. Even at age 85, retired after 11 seasons as the team’s TV analyst, he remains an astute evaluator.

“I think Minnesota has a really good blend of returning players and exciting newcomers,” Dutcher said last week. They’re definitely an upper division Big Ten team with a real chance to be an NCAA tournament team.”

That’s because the Gophers have a front line of Amir Coffey, Eric Curry and Jordan Murphy.

“Murphy is an all-Big Ten player and the leading rebounder in the conference,” Dutcher said. “Coffey is back healthy and is one of the Big Ten’s best players. If Curry is healthy after his knee surgery a year ago, that’s a talented group.”

The question for Minnesota is guard play.

“They need steady guard play — it’s hard to be a good team without good guard play,” Dutcher said.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/09/...ings-replace-mike-zimmer-with-john-defilippo/

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like Marcus Carr will get a play now waiver and that makes this team very dangerous.

With regard to the Marcus Carr waiver deal, SS tweeted this the other day:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm not sure which specific players he's referring to here, or what their situations were.

per Shooter:

Jim Dutcher coached the Gophers men’s basketball team to its last Big Ten championship in 1981-82. Even at age 85, retired after 11 seasons as the team’s TV analyst, he remains an astute evaluator.

“I think Minnesota has a really good blend of returning players and exciting newcomers,” Dutcher said last week. They’re definitely an upper division Big Ten team with a real chance to be an NCAA tournament team.”

That’s because the Gophers have a front line of Amir Coffey, Eric Curry and Jordan Murphy.

“Murphy is an all-Big Ten player and the leading rebounder in the conference,” Dutcher said. “Coffey is back healthy and is one of the Big Ten’s best players. If Curry is healthy after his knee surgery a year ago, that’s a talented group.”

The question for Minnesota is guard play.

“They need steady guard play — it’s hard to be a good team without good guard play,” Dutcher said.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/09/...ings-replace-mike-zimmer-with-john-defilippo/

Go Gophers!!
Astute? I seriously like Dutcher, but really astute? A good blend of returning players and newcomers? Shocking observation. A real chance to being an NCCA tourney team? Wow, that’s really sticking you neck out. Because they have Coffey, Curry and Murphy. I never noticed that. Murphy was the leading rebounder in the conference? I didn’t realize that the Big Ten finally posted the Big Ten rebounding stats. Coffey is back healthy...well we all are certainly hoping so. If Curry is healthy... well yah, he will be needed. And yes talented guard play is very helpful.

Snarking on the Dutch...OK. He gave his take, an opinion I always respect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snarking on the Dutch...OK. He gave his take, an opinion I always respect.

As I said, I like him. But we are not third graders. Well, maybe sometimes we are:)

The snark is so easy sometimes, and maybe that’s when we should think twice.

As I said, I like him. But we are not third graders. Well, maybe sometimes we are:)

So, can I assume all of the GHers that think we will be bottom half if the B1G are third graders? Hey, they asked Dutcher his opinion and he gave it, why so hostile?

So, can I assume all of the GHers that think we will be bottom half if the B1G are third graders? Hey, they asked Dutcher his opinion and he gave it, why so hostile?

wasn’t intending to be hostile, I was picking on the lead word ‘astute’. In my humble opinion, reporting something everyone already knows is not astute.

Anyone who coached as long as Dutcher deserves to be called astute. I'm confident he knows more than most of us about basketball.

Anyone who coached as long as Dutcher deserves to be called astute. I'm confident he knows more than most of us about basketball.
this in general I agree with. Agreed he knows more than most of us.

Top Bottom