Week 6 Bowl Projection Thread

I'm a bit surprised we're slated for a bowl still...

247 chimes in:

REDBOX BOWL: MINNESOTA VS. OREGON

It wasn't quarterback Justin Herbert's fault the Ducks lost on to Stanford two weeks ago, but he's going to shoulder the blame nonetheless after throwing four incompletions in overtime after an otherwise spectacular outing. Oregon's Pac-12 title hopes took a major hit in a matchup it needed to win, especially at home in Eugene. Oregon did have a nice bounce-back win on Saturday at previously-unbeaten Cal and could still move up in the Pac-12's postseason pecking order with stellar play in October.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...-football-after-Week-5-122720996/#122720996_5

Go Gophers!!

ESPN chimes in:

New Era Pinstripe Bowl

Yankee Stadium, New York
Dec. 27, 5:15 p.m. (ESPN)

Bonagura: NC State vs. Minnesota
Sherman: Maryland vs. Syracuse

TaxSlayer Gator Bowl

TIAA Bank Field, Jacksonville, Florida
Dec. 31, 7:30 p.m. (ESPN)

Bonagura: Florida vs. Michigan State
Sherman: Minnesota vs. Mississippi State

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24849683/college-football-bowl-projections-week-5

Go Gophers!!

Would be very happy with either of these

Looking at Sagarin ratings, Gophers should finish 8-4 beating NW, Purdue, IN, NE, IL...I think Sagarin has Iowa way over-ranked.

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

This week tells us a lot. Maryland plays Michigan, which will give a good signal about where Maryland stacks up in the east. They come away with a win/good showing against Michigan and it makes the loss look better. On top of that if we can win/have a good showing against Iowa, I don't think a bowl game is out of reach. Best case, both us and Maryland win this week and I think 8-4 starts looking more achievable.

A lot of those outlooks are pretty rosy considering that we've lost arguably our best player on both offense AND defense for the year.....

But.....considering the players that MD was missing for the Temple game.....and the fact that Texas is actually looking like a really solid road win for them.....maybe that loss isn't quite as deflating as it felt at the time. But we'll need to bounce back big time this weekend.

Last edited:

Looking at Sagarin ratings, Gophers should finish 8-4 beating NW, Purdue, IN, NE, IL

Unless Maryland is a really good team, that will beat one of Michigan, Ohio St, or Penn St, and finish higher than all the other East teams ... then I just have a hard time believing this. It is possible ... as swelna said, this is a big week for more datapoints on everyone.

Yeah. I wouldn't read too much into these, as the writers are probably unaware of the big injuries we have had (and Minnesota sports luck).

I would hold off on this until we for sure have 6 wins. It's no guarantee we can win any of our remaining games.

Yeah. I wouldn't read too much into these, as the writers are probably unaware of the big injuries we have had (and Minnesota sports luck).

I would hold off on this until we for sure have 6 wins. It's no guarantee we can win any of our remaining games.

It's true they might not be aware of some of the major injuries we've had, but I feel like we also rarely, if ever, get overhyped by national media. Seems like even in the years where we win 8 or 9 games, it's usually after being projected to win 6 or 7. Winning 3 of Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Nebraska, Northwestern seems doable. Maybe we'll even pull the home upset over Iowa this weekend like in 2010 and 2011 :D

It's true they might not be aware of some of the major injuries we've had, but I feel like we also rarely, if ever, get overhyped by national media. Seems like even in the years where we win 8 or 9 games, it's usually after being projected to win 6 or 7. Winning 3 of Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Nebraska, Northwestern seems doable. Maybe we'll even pull the home upset over Iowa this weekend like in 2010 and 2011 :D

Yeah but this is just a computer algorithm that looks at the W-L records and then derivative statistics like the W-L records if everyone you've played, everyone they've played, strength of schedule, etc.

It doesn't take into account anything like injuries or national media predictions. So the more data it gets on W-L it gets, the more accurate it gets. And it can't respond quickly to sudden changes .... like going 3-0 to start, then getting blown out in the 4th game.

Top Bottom