Weather vs Iowa

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
The forecast for Saturday looks a little tricky as several storm systems pass though the area Wednesday - Saturday this week.

The one consistent thing for Saturday are the temperatures. It will not be very warm, with highs in the low 50s. At least we've already had a run of cool weather to get more acclimated to the cooler temperatures.

Will it stay dry? Thats the bigger question. Right now I do think it will be dry during the game. Rain is likely Friday, lingering into early Saturday morning. The heaviest rain should stay to the south. The rain should clear out by midday, but we could have a breezy 10-20 mph wind to deal with until sunset.

Regardless of the weather, I'm excited to make the trip up for my first game this season. I think it'll be a competitive game and a fun atmosphere.

Low 50s.

Every year I see low 50s for one game and I under dress and forget how much colder that is sitting in a seat for a football game .... every year. Will I do it again? Yeah probabbly.

Do we want it to stay dry? Or is it advantageous to have this be a real hard rain?

I would put money on PJ holding outdoor practice at least once in the rain this week if possible, to prepare the team for a rainy/windy game

I would put money on PJ holding outdoor practice at least once in the rain this week if possible, to prepare the team for a rainy/windy game

Dude people could spy on the practice then!

Sid says that happened all the time!

The forecast for Saturday looks a little tricky as several storm systems pass though the area Wednesday - Saturday this week.

The one consistent thing for Saturday are the temperatures. It will not be very warm, with highs in the low 50s. At least we've already had a run of cool weather to get more acclimated to the cooler temperatures.

Will it stay dry? Thats the bigger question. Right now I do think it will be dry during the game. Rain is likely Friday, lingering into early Saturday morning. The heaviest rain should stay to the south. The rain should clear out by midday, but we could have a breezy 10-20 mph wind to deal with until sunset.

Regardless of the weather, I'm excited to make the trip up for my first game this season. I think it'll be a competitive game and a fun atmosphere.

Out of morbid curiosity ... if there were to be storms on Sat afternoon .... where would those "things" (for lack of better words) be, right now? Is it like storm clouds that just travel together in perpetuity across the globe, and they're position in the pacific right now? Or ... what is it, roughly speaking, that you're tracking, now?

Low 50s.

Every year I see low 50s for one game and I under dress and forget how much colder that is sitting in a seat for a football game .... every year. Will I do it again? Yeah probabbly.

Not as cold if the good guys are winning.

TCF Bank will probably run out of hot chocolate.....

If we're going by this year ... they'll run out if they bother putting any out.... then note that it was way unseasonable weather as if nobody could ever look at a weather forecast...

Last edited:

Out of morbid curiosity ... if there were to be storms on Sat afternoon .... where would those "things" (for lack of better words) be, right now? Is it like storm clouds that just travel together in perpetuity across the globe, and they're position in the pacific right now? Or ... what is it, roughly speaking, that you're tracking, now?
From what I understand, there are a couple of different prediction algorithms and each has slightly different parameters. I believe most basically start at the current weather, and make a prediction based on that. I'm assuming it could be an already brewing storm somewhere else that will likely move to MN by the time it gets bigger, or most predictions are pointing toward the conditions creating a storm.

From my understanding, most algorithms give you a rough idea about a week out, but nothing is very certain until 2-3 days out. I've been contemplating reading up on the current state of machine learning and weather prediction to see how it compares to the traditional methods.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

From what I understand, there are a couple of different prediction algorithms and each has slightly different parameters. I believe most basically start at the current weather, and make a prediction based on that. I'm assuming it could be an already brewing storm somewhere else that will likely move to MN by the time it gets bigger, or most predictions are pointing toward the conditions creating a storm.

From my understanding, most algorithms give you a rough idea about a week out, but nothing is very certain until 2-3 days out. I've been contemplating reading up on the current state of machine learning and weather prediction to see how it compares to the traditional methods.

Thanks! Sounds very interesting!

If we're going by this year ... they'll run out if they bother putting any out.... then note that it was way unseasonable weather as if nobody could ever look at a weather forecast...
With my luck the marshmallows won't be at the condiment bar either...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Most of this post is accurate and what you said in your last statement is exactly what my former company has been doing for ~15 yrs.

As for the location of this week's storm, it will be a combination of an upper level low (1) off the coast of CA, and what will become the remnants of tropical storm Rosa (2) pictured below. They will merge across the Rockies and move onto the plains in several waves Wed-Sat.

Weather.jpg

Most of this post is accurate and what you said in your last statement is exactly what my former company has been doing for ~15 yrs.

As for the location of this week's storm, it will be a combination of an upper level low (1) off the coast of CA, and what will become the remnants of tropical storm Rosa (2) pictured below. They will merge across the Rockies and move onto the plains in several waves Wed-Sat.

View attachment 5778

Cool!!

My wife and I are flying in for this game from Colorado to support our son who is in the marching band. We came for parents weekend last year in the rain game against MSU so have had bad weather before. In CO, mid 50's would be jeans and a sweatshirt or light jacket. I assume in MN, there will need to be more warmth. Tips?

Temp in the low 50's! Perfect.

Rain, rain, stay away and come back another day.

According to Wundergroud, as the days have passed by the long range forecast has shown the possibility for rain on Saturday has been dropping. At this point, perhaps a lingering shower early AM on Saturday but both tailgate and game should be rain free. Temps in the low 50's. Chilly, but not cold. Maybe a little partly cloudy action for tailgate, otherwise cloudy for most of the day and game.

Not much has changed with the forecast other than rain is no longer a threat during the game. There may be some low clouds and a few sprinkles during the morning. Otherwise we'll see mostly cloudy skies with a high around 50. North/northwest wind could be a little breezy to start, but should die down as the game goes on.

Not much has changed with the forecast other than rain is no longer a threat during the game. There may be some low clouds and a few sprinkles during the morning. Otherwise we'll see mostly cloudy skies with a high around 50. North/northwest wind could be a little breezy to start, but should die down as the game goes on.

Sounds like about a perfect day for college football, other than a warming sun would have been icing on the cake.

Mostly cloudy..... literally unwatchable!

Top Bottom