Rand/Chip: What is the most important thing for the Gophers football team this year?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Rand and Chip:

So today's question is this: What is the biggest thing we need to learn this season to feel like there is significant momentum for Minnesota heading into Year 3 under Fleck?

First take: Michael Rand

As much as I'd love to say it's the development of quarterback Zack Annexstad, I'm not sure that's the right answer given that the program has other options at that spot.

I'd say what's more important is continued evidence that the Gophers are developing young, athletically gifted players on both sides of the ball — and particularly on defense.

That will lend credence to the notion of Fleck as a stout recruiter and the idea that as more of these players mature the overall product will look better.

Chip Scoggins: The development of young players is, was and will remain the No. 1 objective this season. Recruit and develop better talent. Nothing about that changed with the Maryland loss. But I would put finding an answer at quarterback at the top of any list.

Fleck has to solve that conundrum if his program is going to take the necessary steps. It's hard to win in the Big Ten with mediocre (at best) quarterback play. Constantly changing quarterbacks and starting over at that position is not conducive for building a program.

Rand: I agree that solving the QB problem is a must, but I don't think it's critical that they know going into next season that Annexstad is "the guy." All they need to know is that they have a quarterback for Year 3 that they believe is going to be an above-average Big Ten starter — whether that's Annexstad or someone else.

I'd also say that it's important — though less important than the overall development of talent — to at least reach six wins and go to a bowl game. The standards for postseason play in college football are exceedingly low, but failing to reach that benchmark in Year 2 would at least be an image problem for Fleck.

Scoggins: I agree that people always want to see tangible signs of progress. Getting to six wins and playing in a bowl game would represent a positive step beyond talking about player development, which would help with perception.

The die-hards are always going to be sold, but the Gophers are trying to generate more widespread interest and excitement in the program.

If you've been to TCF Bank Stadium on a gameday and seen attendance, it's obvious they have a lot of work to do. Casual observers are still in wait-and-see mode with this program.

Rand: There's always the next half-century!

Final word: Scoggins

Spoken like a true hardened Minnesota sports observer, Michael. The rest of the season will reveal how much progress has been made.

http://www.startribune.com/what-is-...he-gophers-football-team-this-year/494712741/

Go Gophers!!

Winning at least one game we shouldn't win, while winning the few we should win.

So far and until he is capable of moving without hobbling it is impossible to judge Zack. He has the leadership and the instincts to play QB but he is not so talented as to impress anyone playing the position while hobbling. First step is a healthy QB imo

per Rand and Chip:

So today's question is this: What is the biggest thing we need to learn this season to feel like there is significant momentum for Minnesota heading into Year 3 under Fleck?

First take: Michael Rand

As much as I'd love to say it's the development of quarterback Zack Annexstad, I'm not sure that's the right answer given that the program has other options at that spot.

I'd say what's more important is continued evidence that the Gophers are developing young, athletically gifted players on both sides of the ball — and particularly on defense.

That will lend credence to the notion of Fleck as a stout recruiter and the idea that as more of these players mature the overall product will look better.

Chip Scoggins: The development of young players is, was and will remain the No. 1 objective this season. Recruit and develop better talent. Nothing about that changed with the Maryland loss. But I would put finding an answer at quarterback at the top of any list.

Fleck has to solve that conundrum if his program is going to take the necessary steps. It's hard to win in the Big Ten with mediocre (at best) quarterback play. Constantly changing quarterbacks and starting over at that position is not conducive for building a program.

I agree with the first 3 points here

Rand: I agree that solving the QB problem is a must, but I don't think it's critical that they know going into next season that Annexstad is "the guy." All they need to know is that they have a quarterback for Year 3 that they believe is going to be an above-average Big Ten starter — whether that's Annexstad or someone else.

Problem with this comment is there is basically no way for the Gophers to "know" they have an above-average Big Ten starter for Year 3 if it's not Annexstad. The best case non-Annexstad QB would probably be a grad transfer that had some success elsewhere, but even that guy would be available for a reason and would have to learn a new offense and couldn't be considered a sure thing

I'd also say that it's important — though less important than the overall development of talent — to at least reach six wins and go to a bowl game. The standards for postseason play in college football are exceedingly low, but failing to reach that benchmark in Year 2 would at least be an image problem for Fleck.

Scoggins: I agree that people always want to see tangible signs of progress. Getting to six wins and playing in a bowl game would represent a positive step beyond talking about player development, which would help with perception.

The die-hards are always going to be sold, but the Gophers are trying to generate more widespread interest and excitement in the program.

If you've been to TCF Bank Stadium on a gameday and seen attendance, it's obvious they have a lot of work to do. Casual observers are still in wait-and-see mode with this program.

I've said it before, but I don't think 6 wins/bowl eligibility does anything for interest/excitement in this program. A minor bowl appearance has been a regular part of Gopher football for two decades. It might keep some of the fans currently in the boat from jumping out of it, but it's not going to bring anyone new in. At an absolute minimum this program needs to start winning its rivalry games when they are at home to take a step forward.

Rand: There's always the next half-century!

Final word: Scoggins

Spoken like a true hardened Minnesota sports observer, Michael. The rest of the season will reveal how much progress has been made.

http://www.startribune.com/what-is-...he-gophers-football-team-this-year/494712741/

Go Gophers!!

Winning a few more games is crucial. I agree that a minor bowl appearance won't do a lot to help, but failing to clear that embarrassingly low bar would hurt.

I would also like to see evidence that the talent is developing and buying in. That means the team should look better at the end of the season than it did at the start.

IMHO, what I think is reasonable to ask for at a minimum:

1. 6-6 in any matter to get to the bowl game.
2. Development of Zack Annexstad and the offense even in losses. Keep ZA healthy.
3. Defense has to continue to gel, develop, and improve.
4. Stay relative healthy and not lost any more key players.
5. Manage red shirts so don't burn any more than you have to.
6. Recruit a bona fide good/great Offensive Lineman in the 2019 Class. Need two OLs.
7. Bonus - Win a game no one expects the Gophers to win.

EG#9 hit upon the ultimate conundrum in post #4. As a new CFB head coach, you have roughly four years to prove that your way of doing things is worthy of trust and an extended contract.

But realistically, Fleck has to somehow get an above-average QB here, to deliver the ball to these great receivers that he's molding. But ... unless Clark (or someone else) comes in spring 2019 and blows the doors off ... it looks like Fleck is basically married to Annexstad.

If Annexstad grows by leaps and bounds, and we win 8+ games next year and the year after ... Fleck is on Glen Mason Blvd to relative glory and long tenure as Gophers HC (assuming he wants to stay here for several years). If not .... then the boat may well sink.

Of course ... again and again ... I always come back to the idea that Wisconsin bootstrapped itself up to where it is now, and I don't really recall Wisconsin ever having a well above-average QB. Maybe they have and I just can't remember their names. But they always seem to be unmemorable guys that hand the ball off to star backs. We could try to do that .... but that's not the style we've currently hitched our wagon to.

I think this team is one of those Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde types that may alternate between a cover your eyes/grab the bottle-type bloodbath defeat and a solid performance depending on opponent. It can’t be overstated how detrimental ZA’s immobility was vs MD; and beyond that the youth at safety is potentially a rupture at the waterline of SS PJ 2018.

Like others I’d like to see better offensive line play and blocking on offense, and overall less confusion on defense. Maybe that was partially not being tuned in due to Nick’s passing, maybe they just need more time. If we don’t see a lot of improvement over the course of the season PJ may need need to rock the boat in the coaching staff a la what Clawson did at Wake Forest. Too soon to make any solid judgments.

If PJ Fleck achieves a "Glenn Mason" era success after year four, I will be pleased. We've had a 9-4 season thanks to Coach Kill/Claeys. We know it can be done.

We know PJF can recruit. Can he consistently maintain a high recruiting level?

Can he eventually get to Top 20-25 recruiting classes and get recruiting victories on players like Maxx Duggan, Hank Bachmeir, Quinn Caroll, or Bryc Benhart? Or can he develop a system like the one Barry Alvarez built in Wisconsin?

We have the next four years to see how his legacy unfolds. Winning attracts. Let's hope and pray that the Gophers can reach the level of success where they can be competitive. Win trophy games. Go to the Rose Bowl. Be better than the Glenn Mason Era. If the Gophers can achieve that under the current level of competition with new coaching blood in the B1G West, they would truly have arrived at the promise of more than 50 years ago. Football Prominence.

Last edited:

It is all about player development this year. That was true before the 3-0 start, and remains true after the Maryland debacle.

But the real measure will be how the team performs in the B1G season. Last year, the Gophers won 2 (Illinois and Nebraska), were competitive against three (Maryland, #15 Michigan St., and Iowa), lost by 14 to Purdue, and got completely blown off the field by #17 Northwestern and #7 Wisconsin to end the season. So essentially, they were competitive in five of their nine conference games.

This year, they've already been embarrassed by Maryland. I have no reason to believe that the Gophers will hang with OSU and Wiscy. That means they better put on a good show in their other six conference games, or the team will have actually regressed against B1G competition.

Yes, the injuries completely suck. But ya know what? I don't care. As big-time coaches, the challenge is to win with what you have available. It appears PJ and Co. are winning on the recruiting front, but that won't matter if the team doesn't keep it together on the field. We lost two solid running backs? Then let's see what these talented young receivers and ZA can do. OL is leaky? Than implement schemes to provide added protection. Get the ball out quicker. Do whatever the hell it takes.

I want to see competitive performances against Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue and Northwestern. I want to see at least two wins out of those six games, and we sure as hell better be in the fight for all six of 'em. Anything less is regression, in my book.

If the Gophers mange to cobble together three or more conference wins this year, becoming bowl eligible, I will consider that a big step in the right direction.

Bring on Iowa. I'm looking for a good show.

JTG

It is all about player development this year. That was true before the 3-0 start, and remains true after the Maryland debacle.

But the real measure will be how the team performs in the B1G season. Last year, the Gophers won 2 (Illinois and Nebraska), were competitive against three (Maryland, #15 Michigan St., and Iowa), lost by 14 to Purdue, and got completely blown off the field by #17 Northwestern and #7 Wisconsin to end the season. So essentially, they were competitive in five of their nine conference games.

This year, they've already been embarrassed by Maryland. I have no reason to believe that the Gophers will hang with OSU and Wiscy. That means they better put on a good show in their other six conference games, or the team will have actually regressed against B1G competition.

Yes, the injuries completely suck. But ya know what? I don't care. As big-time coaches, the challenge is to win with what you have available. It appears PJ and Co. are winning on the recruiting front, but that won't matter if the team doesn't keep it together on the field. We lost two solid running backs? Then let's see what these talented young receivers and ZA can do. OL is leaky? Than implement schemes to provide added protection. Get the ball out quicker. Do whatever the hell it takes.

I want to see competitive performances against Iowa, Nebraska, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue and Northwestern. I want to see at least two wins out of those six games, and we sure as hell better be in the fight for all six of 'em. Anything less is regression, in my book.

If the Gophers mange to cobble together three or more conference wins this year, becoming bowl eligible, I will consider that a big step in the right direction.

Bring on Iowa. I'm looking for a good show.

JTG
You do know they were winning with a minute to go vs Purdue right?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

You do know they were winning with a minute to go vs Purdue right?

No! Didn't remember that. I thought about looking up the game details, because I realized a 14-point differential may or may not be significant, but was too lazy. Thanks for the correction.

That also means we have no margin for error in the six remaining games we should be competitive in this year.

BTW, how did we turn a lead into a two-touchdown loss in one minute?

JTG

No! Didn't remember that. I thought about looking up the game details, because I realized a 14-point differential may or may not be significant, but was too lazy. Thanks for the correction.

That also means we have no margin for error in the six remaining games we should be competitive in this year.

BTW, how did we turn a lead into a two-touchdown loss in one minute?

JTG
We kicked a FG then Purdue drove the field and Rhoda threw a pick six with ten seconds left

OK, that's starting to sound familiar. Very Gopher-like.

Thanks(?) for the memories. ;)

JTG

Most important thing for the Gophers:

Big picture - show growth.

Now, that can take a lot of different directions, but overall, show growth. give fans some reason for optimism, and to buy tickets.

Now, how do they show growth? Play hard, competitive football. Even if the other team has better talent, at least look like you belong on the same field. Look like the team has a system, and a philosophy, and everyone understands what they are trying to do.

Coaches MUST put players in a position where they have the best chance of success, and minimize their weaknesses. Coaches must show they can make adjustments from game-to-game, and (maybe more importantly) within a game. Don't let games spiral out of control.

I DO think that 6 wins and a bowl game matter. The Gophers won 5 games last year. 6 is better than 5. 6 is a (small) step in the right director. 5 is treading water. 4 is regressing. Again - show growth.

Make a team beat them with the pass. Mason didn’t have a ton of talent especially at first on defense but they committed to stopping the run if I remember correctly.
I like a few others are concerned that the DC might be making this too complicated.

On offense seeing the offensive line improve would be great.
Team goal 6 wins.

Play straight forward solid fundamental defense and worry about adding kinks later.

Top Bottom