Pioneer Press: Gophers coach Pitino wants a mulligan for last year

Huh? Since when is a NIT Championship a poor year? You can make every excuse that the team was full of Tubby's players, but a NIT Championship is not easy to win these days. Of course the years other than the NIT Championship and NCAA tournament haven't been good, but let's not get carried away here...

I'd consider any season where we miss the tourney to be a poor year. The NIT run itself was impressive, but we were only in the position to go on the run because our season wasn't good enough to get us into the tourney.

I'd consider any season where we miss the tourney to be a poor year. The NIT run itself was impressive, but we were only in the position to go on the run because our season wasn't good enough to get us into the tourney.

100%. 10 out of 10 times, I'd rather be one and done in the ncaas than win the NIT.

Either make the tourney or get another coach who will.

100%. 10 out of 10 times, I'd rather be one and done in the ncaas than win the NIT.

Either make the tourney or get another coach who will.

There's not a single college basketball fan in the nation that would take a NIT Championship over a NCAA tournament berth (even if it's one and done), but calling a NIT Championship a poor season is completely ridiculous. Last year... that was a poor season.

There's not a single college basketball fan in the nation that would take a NIT Championship over a NCAA tournament berth (even if it's one and done), but calling a NIT Championship a poor season is completely ridiculous. Last year... that was a poor season.

Winning the NIT was an average season. They beat some avg teams in the regular season and then beat some average teams in the NIT.

It was not poor but I wouldn't call it a successful season.

Agree. NCAA tourney is better than NIT no matter what. But a NIT championship is not a bad year. Not good, but not bad.

Winning the NIT was an average season. They beat some avg teams in the regular season and then beat some average teams in the NIT.

It was not poor but I wouldn't call it a successful season.

Yep

The NIT was nice in 2014, no more no less, sucks Gassner stomped on Hollins ankle and we lost him for a critical stretch. Also if More Walker dunks it instead of laying it up on the easy bunny is NW at the buzzer, we probably sneak in. It was a fun year with nice wins over OSU and Becky. Austin Hollins also got robbed at the end of regulation at Sparty, that was an and one, but the ref didn't the balls to call it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

So if you agree that any NCAA berth is better than an NIT championship, but you don't think NIT championship is a poor season, then why did we fire Pitino's predecessor for a year that was better than the NIT championship?

So if you agree that any NCAA berth is better than an NIT championship, but you don't think NIT championship is a poor season, then why did we fire Pitino's predecessor for a year that was better than the NIT championship?

Who cares?! A new AD came in and wanted to make his imprint on the program. Why are you people still bringing this up? It reminds me of a quote I once heard: "The Sopranos are over, find a new show..." I'm not getting into a Tubby debate. That's been done a million times on this site.

I never said a NIT Championship was a good season. My response was simply that you and Thomasthetank are completely ridiculous for calling it a poor season. I stand by that argument. As long as Pitino coaches better and gets to the postseason this year (I believe this team will get to the NCAA tournament), I'm comfortable with the direction of the program, even with the bad taste in my mouth from last year. I can't remember that last time the Gophers had this much depth and talent. Should be a fun season.

Who cares?! A new AD came in and wanted to make his imprint on the program. Why are you people still bringing this up? It reminds me of a quote I once heard: "The Sopranos are over, find a new show..." I'm not getting into a Tubby debate. That's been done a million times on this site.

I never said a NIT Championship was a good season. My response was simply that you and Thomasthetank are completely ridiculous for calling it a poor season. I stand by that argument. As long as Pitino coaches better and gets to the postseason this year (I believe this team will get to the NCAA tournament), I'm comfortable with the direction of the program, even with the bad taste in my mouth from last year. I can't remember that last time the Gophers had this much depth and talent. Should be a fun season.

If you don't think it was a poor season, fine. But it was not successful.

Here's how I'd rank Pitino's 5 seasons

I'll keep it simple, no letter grades, only +, -, and "about as expected".

2013-14: about as expected (thought it was a fringe NCAA/NIT team, won NIT so call it a push)
2014-15: - (expected more with a solid lead guard (Mathieu), good shooter (Andre), and an experienced post (Mo/EE) combo
2015-16: - (disaster on & off court)
2016-17: + (fun season; team didn't fold despite being 3-6 in the Big Ten at the turn)
2017-18: - (off-court foibles + key injuries = disaster)

So I come up with:

1 +
3 -
1 about as expected

Last edited:

I'll keep it simple, no letter grades, only +, -, and "about as expected".

2013-14: about as expected (thought it was a fringe NCAA/NIT team, won NIT so call it a push)
2014-15: - (expected more with a solid lead guard (Mathieu), good shooter(s) & wing (Hollins x 2), and an experienced post (Mo/EE) combo
2015-16: - (disaster on & off court)
2016-17: + (fun season; team didn't fold despite being 3-6 in the Big Ten at the turn)
2017-18: - (off-court foibles + key injuries = disaster)

So I come up with:

1 +
3 -
1 about as expected

That's pretty spot on. A couple things though: only Andre and not Austin in '14-15, and I would give last year an incomplete. Not sure any coach in America could've won with our JV team at the end.

I think what hurt '14-15 was the dismissal of McNeil. He showed promise, and I think he could've been a good player for us. It left a hole in the '14-15 team when he was dismissed. Not saying he was enough to push them to the NCAA tournament, but I think it definitely hurt the team. It also didn't help that Andre never fully recovered from that ankle injury. Seemed a step too slow all year.

That's pretty spot on. A couple things though: only Andre and not Austin in '14-15, and I would give last year an incomplete. Not sure any coach in America could've won with our JV team at the end.

I think what hurt '14-15 was the dismissal of McNeil. He showed promise, and I think he could've been a good player for us. It left a hole in the '14-15 team when he was dismissed. Not saying he was enough to push them to the NCAA tournament, but I think it definitely hurt the team. It also didn't help that Andre never fully recovered from that ankle injury. Seemed a step too slow all year.

Thanks for the correction. Fixed.

The key with McNeil, is having him around would've pushed Carlos Morris more as well. Losing Lofton hurt for the next year too as I think having Lofton, McNeil, Morris and McBreyer on the wings would've helped that team. Though with Lofton we may not have been able to go out and get Akeem Springs, certain wouldn't have signed Gilbert.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Lmao. I can’t believe some are still debating this 5 years later.

The point i was making is that someone said NIT title is not a poor season, yet our administration obviously disagrees because a better season than that is a fireable offense. If we miss the tournament again this year, thats another poor season even if we win the consolation tournament.

Top Bottom