2018-2019 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Win Twins!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Win Twins!!

So, do they have someone in mind or in the system? Or do they only know they DON'T want Molitor?

A year to late. I'm indifferent. Managers get to much blame when they suck, too much credit when they win. But my guess is they wanted to fire him last season but the WC run put the ki-bosh on that. Have some conviction and some balls and get the guy you want in there.

Yeah. I'm sure they would have like to bring in their own guy right away, but Pohlad said no. Then they were all set to do it last year and we go on a run and make the play-offs. I think Mauer is a decent manager, but it's always awkward making the GM keep the previous guy.

So, do they have someone in mind or in the system? Or do they only know they DON'T want Molitor?

I'm guessing the bench coach (Pickler?) will have a shot. That should excite the fan base. :cool:

I remember some mentions of Omar Vizquel when the Twins hired Molitor. Always liked him as a player and I would love to see a fresh face like him.

A year to late. I'm indifferent. Managers get to much blame when they suck, too much credit when they win. But my guess is they wanted to fire him last season but the WC run put the ki-bosh on that. Have some conviction and some balls and get the guy you want in there.

That's a fine idea if it's not two guys sharing a set of balls.

The jury is out on Falvine's ability to acquire talent, but their PR/HR management skills are severely lacking. Do better.

Just got this from the Twins:
Dear Saintpaulguy,

Understanding your dedication to Minnesota Twins baseball, we wanted to take a moment to follow up regarding this week’s announcement that Paul Molitor will not return as our manager for the 2019 season. As an important stakeholder, we cannot thank you enough for your support and passion for the Twins. With that in mind, we will always strive to ensure you are up to speed on the long-term strategic direction of the franchise.

The decision to make a managerial change was difficult, painful and far from obvious. As a Minnesota baseball legend and member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame, Paul’s baseball acumen is unquestioned. Nor is Paul’s commitment to the Twins organization and efforts to impact players and coaches throughout the system with a focus on restoring our winning tradition. His contributions to our community, our game and this organization are significant and everlasting. We are extremely grateful and hopeful that Paul will always be part of the Minnesota Twins family.

Looking to the future, Derek Falvey and Thad Levine will immediately commence a search for a new manager to lead our club in 2019 and beyond. Said search will be thorough, include a focus on external as well as internal candidates, and follow the hiring guidelines as provided by Major League Baseball.

While significant work lies ahead, we continue to believe in our baseball operations leadership, staff and most importantly – our players. The adversity our team faced in 2018 will spur growth and ultimately ensure our core group is better prepared for future challenges. In the weeks and months to come we will vigorously pursue additional talent on and off the field aimed at helping us achieve our goal of making the Twins a perennial championship contender.

Once again, we thank you for your incredible support of Twins baseball.

Sincerely,

Jim Pohlad
Owner, Executive Chair Dave St. Peter
President & CEO

As long as they have made this move, it would make sense to hire someone who is fluent in spanish.

Win Twins!!

I like how during the press conference, some of the journalists are asking questions to "Derek or Thad". This really shouldn't be an "or" situation. There should be one person in charge there. I don't understand.

I like how during the press conference, some of the journalists are asking questions to "Derek or Thad". This really shouldn't be an "or" situation. There should be one person in charge there. I don't understand.

Falvey is in charge, but likes to hide behind Thad. I don't understand either.

Win Twins!!

Chip: Twins make mistake in firing Paul Molitor

It's fairly common for new management to make coaching changes when they take over a team. Executives like to hire their own coaches. That's part of the sports business. Falvey and Levine basically had no choice but to extend Molitor's contract after he guided the Twins to the one-game playoff last season.

Molitor didn't become a bad manager in one season. He didn't lose his clubhouse. He adapted his managerial style to mesh with the new-age principles of Falvey and Levine in terms of analytics and defensive shifts.

Unless there were personality clashes behind the scenes that we're not privy to, this move doesn't make sense to me, other than Falvey and Levine wanted their own hand-picked manager.

The pressure on them increases in a major way with this decision. Their next choice of manager is a critical hire for the direction of the organization. This will be a total house cleaning. They have to get it right because they just fired a man who was recognized as the Manager of the Year one year ago.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-make-mistake-in-firing-molitor/494936231/

Win Twins!!

Chip: Twins make mistake in firing Paul Molitor

It's fairly common for new management to make coaching changes when they take over a team. Executives like to hire their own coaches. That's part of the sports business. Falvey and Levine basically had no choice but to extend Molitor's contract after he guided the Twins to the one-game playoff last season.

Molitor didn't become a bad manager in one season. He didn't lose his clubhouse. He adapted his managerial style to mesh with the new-age principles of Falvey and Levine in terms of analytics and defensive shifts.

Unless there were personality clashes behind the scenes that we're not privy to, this move doesn't make sense to me, other than Falvey and Levine wanted their own hand-picked manager.

The pressure on them increases in a major way with this decision. Their next choice of manager is a critical hire for the direction of the organization. This will be a total house cleaning. They have to get it right because they just fired a man who was recognized as the Manager of the Year one year ago.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-make-mistake-in-firing-molitor/494936231/

Win Twins!!

The question isn't whether Molitor is a bad manager; it's a question of whether he's good enough. Is he the caliber of Tom Kelly, who, had they not hired him, the Twins wouldn't have won a world championship? Would Terry Francona have won more games with this team than Molitor? Would the Indians be as successful as they are right now if they and the Twins swapped managers? I think everyone here knows the answers to those questions. The object is to find the next Francona.

The question isn't whether Molitor is a bad manager; it's a question of whether he's good enough. Is he the caliber of Tom Kelly, who, had they not hired him, the Twins wouldn't have won a world championship? Would Terry Francona have won more games with this team than Molitor? Would the Indians be as successful as they are right now if they and the Twins swapped managers? I think everyone here knows the answers to those questions. The object is to find the next Francona.

Terry Francona's first stint as a manager resulted in 285 wins over 3 years. Worse than Molitor.

Molitor had his cleanup batter sac bunt twice in a game this season. It’s really not a mystery.

Was that his idea? We heard in the press conference how open he was to their ideas. Maybe that was the Boppsey Twins pushing their analytics.

Terry Francona's first stint as a manager resulted in 285 wins over 3 years. Worse than Molitor.

Francona's first stint as a MLB manager also began when he was 38. Molitor's began when he was 57. There's a reason this is likely to be his only stint as a MLB manager.

Was that his idea? We heard in the press conference how open he was to their ideas. Maybe that was the Boppsey Twins pushing their analytics.

I can pretty much guarantee that wasn’t the management. Analytics say sac bunting is almost always a bad idea. It’s even worse when it’s one of your best hitters doing it.

My point is Molitor is old school. Sure he’s open to new ideas but he still manages in game like it’s 1990. They hired a 27 year old farm director. I just don’t think it’s a good fit. They want to hire their guy.

I can pretty much guarantee that wasn’t the management. Analytics say sac bunting is almost always a bad idea. It’s even worse when it’s one of your best hitters doing it.

My point is Molitor is old school. Sure he’s open to new ideas but he still manages in game like it’s 1990. They hired a 27 year old farm director. I just don’t think it’s a good fit. They want to hire their guy.

Fewer times than he used an opener, which didn’t work either. And you can’t tell me any of those were Molitor’s idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom