2018-2019 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

My point is that analytics can enhance what you do with player development - but it can't take the place of player development. You have to have the players. That takes scouting, drafting, player development, and some judicious use of trades and free-agent signings. Then, apply your analytics. But you have to have the players.

All the analytics in the world would not have helped the Twins win in the second half of this season, when they were running out guys like Field, Cave, etc, and pitchers like Magill and Belisle. The fact that Molitor won any games with that bunch of stiffs is a minor miracle.

With all due respect, some people talk about analytics like they were some magic bullet. analytics are a tool, and like any tool, you have to know how to use it correctly to be effective.

Apparently the scouting, drafting player development left us with guys that takes a minor miracle to win with. I'm looking forward to utilizing analytics in our scouting, drafting and player development. Then again I do like to watch winning teams vs hoping analytics is a fad/trend.

Apparently the scouting, drafting player development left us with guys that takes a minor miracle to win with. I'm looking forward to utilizing analytics in our scouting, drafting and player development. Then again I do like to watch winning teams vs hoping analytics is a fad/trend.

This is exactly it. You don't have to look any further than the Cleveland Indians to see how players - especially pitchers - can be developed using, in part, analytics-based methods.

One example from recent years is statistically recognizing the advantages of pitching up in the zone or above the zone. That had commonly been discouraged because of the occasional home run, but the data showed it to be a legitimate strategy in the right situations. There are still managers and pitching coaches, however, who stubbornly ignore the data and continue to preach keeping the ball down all the time, to their teams' and pitchers' disadvantage.

Last edited:

STrib: Derek Shelton impresses Twins in their managerial search

The Twins have narrowed their search for a new manager to three to five finalists, and have begun conducting second interviews with them. One of the candidates summoned back to Minnesota knows the Twins’ landscape very well already.

Derek Shelton, who spent 2018 as Paul Molitor’s bench coach, “was very impressive” in his initial interview with Chief Baseball Officer Derek Falvey and General Manager Thad Levine, according to a major league source, and survived the initial cut from the team’s large list of potential managers. Shelton, 48, was in the Twin Cities for a second round of interviews Thursday, though it’s not known if he met with Twins owner Jim Pohlad.

Falvey and Levine hope to conclude their search and reach a decision next week, another source with knowledge of the process said, though Major League Baseball discourages teams from making major announcements during the World Series, which begins Tuesday in Boston. The fact that the Red Sox eliminated the Astros on Thursday might speed up the search, since Falvey and Levine were unable to meet face-to-face with Houston bench coach Joe Espada while the ALCS was underway.

The Twins met with several other candidates last week, including Giants bench coach Hensley Meulens and Cubs bench coach Brandon Hyde. Both have also been contacted about other vacancies, including the Los Angeles Angels, Texas and Toronto.

One apparent similarity between candidates: None have major league managerial experience. The Twins have shown no interest in former managers such as Joe Girardi, Mike Scioscia or former Twins catcher Mike Redmond, one source said. The Twins haven’t hired a manager with major league experience since Gene Mauch in 1976.

http://www.startribune.com/derek-shelton-impresses-twins-in-their-managerial-search/498071511/

Win Twins!!

As I told my wife JUST YESTERDAY, I would be all for this hire just to have a manger named Rocco.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

As I told my wife JUST YESTERDAY, I would be all for this hire just to have a manger named Rocco.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'd be okay with that hire. Just 37.

I'm a little shocked that I'm the one "breaking" the news here - Rocco Baldelli is your new Twins manager. Thoughts?

I'm a little shocked that I'm the one "breaking" the news here - Rocco Baldelli is your new Twins manager. Thoughts?

I'm not. Hiring the youngest manager in MLB is right up the current regime's alley. Not impressed.

As always, we will see. Dude has always been highly thought of as a coach and an eventual MLB manager. The two downsides from where I sit:
Total lack of experience as a manager at any level
The health condition that led to his retirement as a player could hinder him as a manager. It causes fatigue, and fatigue and burnout are what gets to even the best managers over the long, long season.

per ESPN:

The Minnesota Twins are expected to hire Rocco Baldelli as their next manager, a source confirmed to ESPN.

Baldelli has spent the past four seasons as a coach for the Tampa Bay Rays. At 37, he will become the youngest manager in the majors.

FOX 9 Sports first reported that Baldelli would be the Twins manager. A news conference announcing the hiring is expected Thursday.

Baldelli played seven seasons in the majors from 2003 to 2010, with six of those being with the Rays. He also spent one season with the Boston Red Sox.

He will replace Paul Molitor, who was 305-343 in four seasons as manager with one playoff appearance. Minnesota went 78-84 in 2018, finishing second in the American League Central but 13 games back of the Cleveland Indians.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25079127/minnesota-twins-hiring-rocco-baldelli-manager

Go Gophers!!

Hmmm. Name's "Baldelli" and he's from Rhode Island. I suppose it was either this or running a waste management company.

As always, we will see. Dude has always been highly thought of as a coach and an eventual MLB manager. The two downsides from where I sit:
Total lack of experience as a manager at any level
The health condition that led to his retirement as a player could hinder him as a manager. It causes fatigue, and fatigue and burnout are what gets to even the best managers over the long, long season.

That was my first thought as well. The season is a grind especially the way the twins have been playing. Gardy and Molitor both aged a lot while on the job.

He's young but not extraordinarily young. If you're the right guy and you're ready, welcome aboard.

I didn't realize Tom Kelly was that young when he was hired. He sure looked older than he was.

He's always looked like he's 65. Its incredible

Not initially

f8ee05e15f044c24918134859381fa32_front.jpg

Doogie chimes in on the hire:

Win Twins!!

Coach Pitino chimes in:

Win Twins!!

Top Bottom