2018-2019 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
The "looking ahead to next season" articles are starting, so might as well start the off-season thread a few days early.

Win Twins!!

Sid: Twins will reevaluate everything for 2019 season

The Twins entered 2018 coming off a playoff appearance and posting the fifth-best record in the AL at 85-77 in 2017.

Paul Molitor, who was named AL Manager of the Year, was rewarded with a three-year contract.

But this year has seen the team regress in every way possible. And while they are in second place in the AL Central, they will finish with a losing record, were eliminated from playoff contention with two weeks to go and have only the ninth-best record in the AL.

With the news Wednesday that Molitor wants to remain with the team for 2019, Twins President Dave St. Peter said that means he will most likely be back next season.

“Paul is under contract and he has done a good job as our manager. In fairness to him, he really has not had his club this year,” St. Peter said. “There is always discussions that take place at the end of the year and certainly if Paul wants to come back, I would expect that he’ll be back. We’ll proceed collectively in trying to get better.”

In 2019, the plan is to have more remodeling done at Target Field, but St. Peter said there is no plan to increase any ticket prices.

When it comes to the rest of the club, the Twins are preparing to examine every part of their roster as they head into the 2019 season.

“There is an assessment going on in terms of where that young core is,” St. Peter said. “We continue to believe in them, but there are certainly more questions today than there were a year ago. We have some work to do. We have to be realistic about where we are and where we aren’t.

“But I do know this, we’ll go into the offseason aimed at getting better, kind of assessing those weaknesses. I know there are question marks, but I fully expect you’re going to see a lot of guys in this young core group of players — including the [Miguel] Sanos and [Byron] Buxtons, take steps forward here. I expect to get more out of them in 2019 than we did in 2018.”

http://www.startribune.com/twins-will-reevaluate-everything-for-2019-season/494570191/

Win Twins!!

STrib: Pitching 'openers' will be among Twins' 2019 game plans

The growing trend toward using one-inning “openers” instead of traditional starting pitchers has produced some marvelous trivia. When Gabriel Moya took the mound on Thursday, for instance, he became the first big-league pitcher to start four games against the same opponent over a 10-day span in almost exactly a century, since Grover Cleveland Lowdermilk of the St. Louis Browns repeatedly faced the Philadelphia A’s in 1918.

But if openers are providing intriguing searches of Elias Sports Bureau’s statistical database, it remains to be seen if they’re beneficial to a pitching staff, too. Moya, who has now faced the Tigers in nearly one-fourth of his 41 career games, allowed singles to the first two batters he faced Thursday, eventually allowing a run on Nicholas Castellanos’ sacrifice fly. It was only the second time in six “starts” that Moya has allowed a run, and the first time a Twins opener has been scored on since the Yankees got a run against Tyler Duffey on Sept. 11.

Thursday was the Twins’ final experiment with the nontraditional pitching format — at least until next season. Don’t be surprised, however, if the opener becomes a relatively frequent feature of Twins games in 2019.

“I still think we’re going to see it” for the foreseeable future, Twins manager Paul Molitor said. “I haven’t learned a ton, because it’s kind of how I thought it would be, for the most part. But it hasn’t lessened my intrigue about how it can help a team over the course of a season.”

http://www.startribune.com/pitching-openers-will-be-among-twins-2019-game-plans/494572561/

Win Twins!!

They have a few arms that might end up OK, but slim pickings with the field.

Rosario is a solid player. I imagine he'll be on his way out soon as he'll ask for too much money.

Kepler and Sano might be decent, but they've hit their ceiling.

Buxton? Lucky if he ends up as a serviceable big league player at this point.

Hope Royce Lewis is the savior?

I think we're headed for another 1990s dark years for the Twins.

Hope to cultivate the farm system/hit on draft picks enough to where you might get lucky enough to have a group of them emerge as solid players in the big leagues at the same time. It's the Twins way.

Pohlad pocket protectors.

Top free agent wish list (realistic)
1. Patrick Corbin
2. Yasmani Grandal
3. Kelvin Herrera

I personally think there's a blessing in disguise in all the trades, injuries and etc.: the ability to give a few young guys an opportunity who've distinguished themselves. I still continue to be bullish on the long term prospects for this team.

I've always been a huge Kepler fan but him hitting .223 this year, even after a hot start (and a hot start against lefties no less) is pretty concerning. Another reason Buxton sucking at the plate hurts the Twins; if Buxton were playing up to his potential and hitting at least halfway decent, it MIGHT allow them to put a more limited defensive player in RF instead of Kepler that has a bigger more reliable bat.

Maybe just a down year for Kepler and he'll be fine next year but this year was disappointing. If he keeps his weight in check, I'm more hopeful about Sano returning to form than Kepler for some reason but we'll see what happens next spring.

I too am optimistic/bullish (as Bad says) on the long term prospects for the Twins. They have some pieces to work with and I'm hopeful for this front office even though many are skeptical. I think Falvey and Levine are building a really good foundation.

I've always been a huge Kepler fan but him hitting .223 this year, even after a hot start (and a hot start against lefties no less) is pretty concerning. Another reason Buxton sucking at the plate hurts the Twins; if Buxton were playing up to his potential and hitting at least halfway decent, it MIGHT allow them to put a more limited defensive player in RF instead of Kepler that has a bigger more reliable bat.

Maybe just a down year for Kepler and he'll be fine next year but this year was disappointing. If he keeps his weight in check, I'm more hopeful about Sano returning to form than Kepler for some reason but we'll see what happens next spring.

I too am optimistic/bullish (as Bad says) on the long term prospects for the Twins. They have some pieces to work with and I'm hopeful for this front office even though many are skeptical. I think Falvey and Levine are building a really good foundation.

Kepler was really hurt by Sano not being in the lineup (and hitting effectively). The Twins need a dangerous cleanup hitter in the worst way. So frustrating that Sano isn't that guy.

Share some of the substance for your optimism. For one thing, this team is incredibly boring. Is there someone who has a little life to them that I've missed?

Share some of the substance for your optimism. For one thing, this team is incredibly boring. Is there someone who has a little life to them that I've missed?
Well, Rosario, for sure. Kepler and Buxton, but not too engaging, if they can't produce. Polanco.

Grandal is one of the best hitting catchers in the game. I hope he stays in LA, but I'd love to have him here if possible.

Not only that, but he handles a pitching staff very well by working with one of the most unpredictable managers in the game.

Well, Rosario, for sure. Kepler and Buxton, but not too engaging, if they can't produce. Polanco.
Rosario - I agree. Buxton is exciting in the field if the ball stays in the park. Escobar was painful loss.
I think I just need the off season. I can't be bothered to learn about these guys I dont recognize and might be gone by next year.

Of course! I think the farm system is becoming very well stocked with some promising talent from top to bottom, at least somewhat more so than in recent years. A few of the guys who disappointed this year could easily make a return to form; Sano, Buxton, Kepler. I like the possibilities that Tyler Austin could bring to the table as a DH. Polanco quietly had a really solid year after his suspension. Starting pitching could be solid next year with Gibson, Berrios, Pineda coming in...

I also think with the massive cap space they have that this front office will sign at least one, maybe two, fairly prominent impact free agents but we'll have to see on that.

Lastly, what can I say, I'm just a horrendously optimistic person, character flaw for sure. I think tomorrow will be better than today, next month better than this month, and next year better than this year. I'm guilty, sorry. Life would just be too dark and depressing if I thought otherwise.

Of course! I think the farm system is becoming very well stocked with some promising talent from top to bottom, at least somewhat more so than in recent years. A few of the guys who disappointed this year could easily make a return to form; Sano, Buxton, Kepler. I like the possibilities that Tyler Austin could bring to the table as a DH. Polanco quietly had a really solid year after his suspension. Starting pitching could be solid next year with Gibson, Berrios, Pineda coming in...

I also think with the massive cap space they have that this front office will sign at least one, maybe two, fairly prominent impact free agents but we'll have to see on that.

Lastly, what can I say, I'm just a horrendously optimistic person, character flaw for sure. I think tomorrow will be better than today, next month better than this month, and next year better than this year. I'm guilty, sorry. Life would just be too dark and depressing if I thought otherwise.
A characteristic of baseball fans, for sure!
Thanks for the ray of sunshine!

Hey, I still have tickets for Saturday and Sunday! Too Soon!

And, I just renewed my Season Tickets today! There is optimism for ya.

Keepers from current roster: Rosario, Kepler (give him one more year to show something), Polanco, Adrianza (utility infielder), Astudillo (utility, backup catcher), Garver, Austin. Cave is a backup plan if Buxton doesn't make it.

One more chance: Sano, Buxton. (see if they can stay healthy and give some production).

Waiting in the wings: Gordon, Lewis, Rooker, Kiriloff, Larnach

Top free agent wish list (realistic)
1. Patrick Corbin
2. Yasmani Grandal
3. Kelvin Herrera

I agree with the categories. I would also like to bring Escobar back and target Adam Jones for the OF. They have about $55 million to spend. Not sure they can hit all of these areas, but most of them.

Astudillo.

Almost worth it for the nickname alone; La Tortuga!

That's awesome.

I haven't been watching full games much this month. Is he really that bad of a catcher or can he be the primary catcher? He can certainly hit. The games I have seen he seemed adequate.

I agree with the categories. I would also like to bring Escobar back and target Adam Jones for the OF. They have about $55 million to spend. Not sure they can hit all of these areas, but most of them.

Love to have Escobar back too, provided he or Polanco can play 2nd. Awhile back, I wanted them to buy cheap on Josh Donaldson and have him and Sano man the corners, but I'm very comfortable going with Tyler Austin at first or DH.

Corbin his a lefty with a pretty decent strikeout rate. There's the worry of an NL pitcher struggling in the AL, but he's a guy on the rise.

That means I'm old? Damn. I was going to chalk it up to not following the NL.
Old is when you can't remember that guy who missed a chunk of the season for performance enhancing substances, and you resort to calling him Poblano. Then you get confused at the grocery store.
Old.

Love to have Escobar back too, provided he or Polanco can play 2nd. Awhile back, I wanted them to buy cheap on Josh Donaldson and have him and Sano man the corners, but I'm very comfortable going with Tyler Austin at first or DH.

Corbin his a lefty with a pretty decent strikeout rate. There's the worry of an NL pitcher struggling in the AL, but he's a guy on the rise.

Escobar can play 2nd. No issue. Though my hope would be for Nick Gordon to grab 2B, Escobar to play 3B and Sano/Austin to split 1B/DH along with Kepler. Then an OF of Jones, Buxton, Rosario. But if Buxon continues to be injured/terrible, Jones to CF an Kepler to RF. Austudillo is a wild card. Can he be the primary catcher? A super utility player? Could he play 2nd if Gordon doesn't impress in ST? All i know is he can hit and he should be in there somewhere.

Old is when you can't remember that guy who missed a chunk of the season for performance enhancing substances, and you resort to calling him Poblano. Then you get confused at the grocery store.
Old.

I hate the grocery store and do find it confusing, so usually order grocery delivery online. That makes me young, right?

Old.

That made me laugh.

Top Bottom