2018-2019 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

STrib: Home run-hitting Nelson Cruz eager to join Twins lineup

Nelson Cruz says he’s excited about being a Twin and believes his new team, like the Rangers of 2010-11, has the talent for a postseason breakthrough. But before he gets started, he intends to make an apology.

“I’m looking forward to spring training to say, ‘I’m sorry’ ” to new teammate Tyler Duffey, who served up what Cruz said may be the longest home run he’s ever hit.

“I cannot remember a [longer] one,” Cruz said.

Duffey probably doesn’t mind, not if Cruz continues to blast home runs now that he’s landed in Minnesota. The Twins announced the free agent’s signing Wednesday, acquiring a player who hit 203 homers over the past five seasons for $14 million this year, and a team option of $12 million for 2020.

“I could not be more excited. Last year, when I went to Minnesota [with the Mariners], I was thinking ahead: ‘This should be a good fit for me, a team that has really good young guys with a lot of talent,’ ” Cruz said on a conference call with Twin Cities media members. “I guess I can predict the future.”

http://www.startribune.com/home-run-hitting-nelson-cruz-eager-to-join-twins-lineup/503807002/

Win Twins!!

Really good article in The Athletic about the Cruz signing. It sounds like Cruz didn't need a lot of convincing, he was really sold on the Twins going back to last year. I think he could have a major impact on the roster, he affects everyone batting around him. Let's hope he stays healthy!

Depends on what you mean by long-term. If you can get someone like Dallas Kuechel on a 4-year deal, he can both help you now and still be here in 2 years when you think you can win it all. They probably won't win the WS in 2019. But they can win the division and there's something to be said for going for it. It's tough to have a team that is entirely players under team control and 1-year deals.

That wouldn't be the worst signing in the world for sure. But he is getting up there in age so it would be risky. He allowed more than a hit per inning in 2018 and his strikeouts are going down.

That wouldn't be the worst signing in the world for sure. But he is getting up there in age so it would be risky. He allowed more than a hit per inning in 2018 and his strikeouts are going down.

FA starting pitching is always risky. Frankly, you sign him to a 4-year deal and hope to get 3 good years.

STrib: A 'living wall' of juniper plants chosen for Target Field backdrop

ows_154688239519254.jpg

The center-field backdrop at Target Field is getting yet another makeover, this time with thousands of sea green juniper plants that Twins management says will offer batters an ideal contrast for tracking fastballs and be “one of the world’s largest living walls.”

The team has been searching for just right look for the “batter’s eye” area above the center-field wall since it removed 14 spruce trees that were in place when the stadium opened in 2010, but removed after one season amid complaints from hitters that they were a distraction.

Ejection of the trees raised objections from fans and gave birth to the team’s own version of the Boston Red Sox’s decadeslong “Curse of the Bambino.” The Twins won 94 of 162 games and made the playoffs in 2010, then endured four seasons of 90-plus defeats.

The junipers — totaling roughly 5,700 — will take the space currently filled by a large black rectangle. The grass berm immediately below will remain.

“The Minnesota Twins are excited about plans to install one of the world’s largest living walls at Target Field,” said team President and CEO Dave St. Peter, who added that there is nothing else like it in Major League Baseball.

“Since the removal of the original trees, which were part of Target Field’s batter’s eye in 2010, the Twins have been searching for the right solution which balances playability and aesthetics,” St. Peter said. “We believe the living wall concept delivers on both fronts, while further enhancing the ballpark’s sustainability platform.”

Matt Hoy, the Twins’ senior vice president of operations, said the decision to go with the juniper plants came after consulting with players and coaches, and after signoff from Major League Baseball.

http://www.startribune.com/a-living...s-chosen-for-target-field-backdrop/504003302/

Win Twins!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ESPN: 2019's most interesting player already hit home run of the year

Check out the home run above. Courtesy of the amazing Willians Astudillo, we already have the best home run highlight of 2019. It came in Venezuela, and it defies description. I think the only way it could be topped is if Yasiel Puig hits a walk-off home run in Game 7 of the World Series, but that would mean the Reds getting to the World Series, which seems unlikely.

Astudillo made his big league debut last season with the Minnesota Twins and in 29 games hit .355 with two home runs. But if you remember anything about Astudillo, it's probably this highlight of him running the bases:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

With his nontraditional physique and hair flying behind him like he's poking his head out of a 747, Astudillo became an immediate cult hero. There's even a five-minute highlight video of his 2018 exploits on YouTube.

As you can see from the videos, Astudillo isn't without some athleticism despite his girth, and he can play multiple positions. With the Twins, he started 14 games at catcher, five at third base, one at second and even played a few innings in the outfield -- including an inning in center field, making him, according to Ben Lindbergh, the first player in major league history listed at 5-foot-9 or shorter and 215 pounds or heavier to play center field. In winter ball, he has spent most of his time in left field. At 27, he's too old to rank high on prospect lists, but he can play and has a chance to stick with the Twins as a utility player.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-interesting-player-already-hit-home-run-year

Win Twins!!

STrib: Byron Buxton to avoid arbitration, agrees to $1.7 million deal with Twins

It appears the Twins and Byron Buxton will avoid arbitration, as he closes in on a one-year contract worth around $1.7 million.

Two sources close to the negotiations confirmed the deal, which comes as major league teams try to reach contracts with arbitration-eligible players before Friday’s filing deadline.

Buxton made $580,000 in 2018, when he played in only 28 major league games during an injury-plagued year. He played 35 games at Class AAA Rochester trying to find his swing, hitting .272.

The Twins did not bring Buxton back to the majors in September, a move that ensured he would not gain enough service time to become a free agent until after the 2022 season instead of 2021 — he is 13 days shy.

“Yes. I ain’t sugarcoating nothing,” he said Dec. 11 when asked of his displeasure with the decision. “It kind of didn’t go over well.”

Chief Baseball Officer Derek Falvey responded by saying Buxton will be the starting center fielder.

“I feel as soon as Byron gets around his teammates and we get things moving, going forward, he’s going to be exactly what we expect him to be. And we are going to support him to be the best possible player he can be,” Falvey said.

http://www.startribune.com/byron-bu...n-sign-1-7-million-deal-with-twins/504193692/

Win Twins!!

STrib: Byron Buxton to avoid arbitration, agrees to $1.7 million deal with Twins

It appears the Twins and Byron Buxton will avoid arbitration, as he closes in on a one-year contract worth around $1.7 million.

Two sources close to the negotiations confirmed the deal, which comes as major league teams try to reach contracts with arbitration-eligible players before Friday’s filing deadline.

Buxton made $580,000 in 2018, when he played in only 28 major league games during an injury-plagued year. He played 35 games at Class AAA Rochester trying to find his swing, hitting .272.

The Twins did not bring Buxton back to the majors in September, a move that ensured he would not gain enough service time to become a free agent until after the 2022 season instead of 2021 — he is 13 days shy.

“Yes. I ain’t sugarcoating nothing,” he said Dec. 11 when asked of his displeasure with the decision. “It kind of didn’t go over well.”

Chief Baseball Officer Derek Falvey responded by saying Buxton will be the starting center fielder.

“I feel as soon as Byron gets around his teammates and we get things moving, going forward, he’s going to be exactly what we expect him to be. And we are going to support him to be the best possible player he can be,” Falvey said.

http://www.startribune.com/byron-bu...n-sign-1-7-million-deal-with-twins/504193692/

Win Twins!!

Hearing many people think he would have gotten about $1.2 million in arbitration. I'm guessing they offered more to make up for what happened in the fall.

per Shooter:

Look for an announcement that Jim Kaat will be added to the Twins’ broadcast package this season, with Torii Hunter deciding to pass up the booth this season.

It’ll be interesting whether Twins analyst Bert Blyleven eventually ends up working some Los Angeles Angels games the way Twins analyst Jack Morris does some Detroit Tigers games.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/01/...uld-add-randy-wittman-to-ryan-saunders-staff/

Win Twins!!

Win Twins!!

Miguel Sano in Dominican playoffs, will miss Caravan and TwinsFest

Miguel Sano will miss the Twins Winter Caravan and TwinsFest next week to participate in the Dominican Winter League championship series.

Sano's Estrellas de Oriente team leads the nine-game series over Toros del Este 1-0 after a 13-1 victory on Thursday night. Sano was 1-for-4. In six games with Estrellas, he is hitting .273 with a home run and three RBI.

Estrellas is based in Sano's hometown of San Pedro de Marcoris, and it has not won the Dominican championship since 1968.

The winner of the series moves on to the Caribbean Series, facing teams representing Puerto Rico, Mexico and Venezuela. It's not clear if Sano would play in the series if Estrellas qualifies.

"Miguel Sano's Dominican Winter League team has made the playoffs. Due to this he has an extended opportunity to get into live game action in advance of spring training," Twins Chief Baseball Officer Derek Falvey said in a statement. "We have supported his request to remain with his club as they compete for the league championship this week."

Sano was to appear at caravan stops Monday through Thursday in North Dakota and western Minnesota with Mitch Garver. Kohl Stewart will replace Sano on the caravan.

TwinsFest runs Jan. 25-27 at Target Field.

http://www.startribune.com/miguel-s...fs-will-miss-caravan-and-twinsfest/504568992/

Win Twins!!

I enjoyed this rant by Aaron Gleeman a few days ago.

If they stay where they are, under $100 million I will be disappointed. No excuse not to add a couple more pitchers. There's some rumors that we are a "mystery" team for Machado, offering a large 1 year contract if he doesn't want to take the under-whelming long-term offers he's getting. Not sure I buy it.

STrib: Rocco Baldelli's baseball journey has led him to the Twins

An ‘us’ man

Al Marano grew up with Baldelli. Last weekend, Baldelli attended the field hockey practice of Marano’s daughter, Isabella, 9. Baldelli is Isabella’s godfather. Isabella has posters of Baldelli on her bedroom walls.

“It was gut-wrenching,” Marano said of Baldelli’s health problems. “He was stripped of what he could have been. I went down and stayed with him for a year, for moral support, to help him stay positive.”

Baldelli returned to the Rays in August 2008. He hit a three-run homer in Game 2 of the ALCS against the Red Sox and drove in a go-ahead run in Game 7 as the Rays advanced to their only World Series.

Marano, Pham and the Baldelli family were there. “That’s one of our best memories,” Marano said. “He wanted all of us to be there. He had always said, ‘This isn’t me doing this — this is all of us doing this together.’ That’s the kind of kid he is. Besides my two kids being born, that was the best day of my life.”

Baldelli played 62 games for the Red Sox in 2009 and 10 for the Rays in 2010. He announced his retirement Jan. 26, 2011, accepting an offer from Rays General Manager Andrew Friedman, now with the Dodgers, to become a special assistant and roving instructor. In 2014, he became first base coach for new Rays manager Kevin Cash after Maddon left for the Cubs.

Twins Chief Baseball Officer Derek Falvey said he hired Baldelli because of his background, and the way he presented himself — curious and personable, someone more interested in new information than former accomplishments.

“He’s going to be phenomenal,” Danesi said. “No one will have to explain analytics or algorithms to Rocco.”

Pham describes the Baldellis — Rocco, his two brothers, Dan and mother Michelle — as a “giving, incredibly generous family.” Dan is the frenetic Type-A father who once told Rocco, “Don’t be a little me” — with Rocco telling him, not unkindly, “I promise I won’t.”

Michelle — Pham calls her “Mama Mich” — is the cheerful caretaker who hikes ski slopes.

“I tried to go with her,” Dan said. “But I’d rather sit on my butt and eat veal parm and buy some bigger pants.”

In that crowded house, when Rocco was recovering from his shattered leg, the Baldellis worried about his spirits.

“We had a person we were very friendly with who did hypnosis,” Dan said. “She talked with Rocco and came back and said, ‘He’s an old soul.’ I’m looking at her like, ‘What?’

“She said, “It’s like he’s been here before.’ We’re like, ‘Don’t get weird on us.’ But after talking to her, we started asking ourselves, ‘Is this why he is the way he is?’

“She said, ‘He answers my questions like someone in his 50s or 60s, who has been through all of this before.’ ”

Maybe Baldelli is more experienced than we think.

http://www.startribune.com/rocco-baldelli-s-baseball-journey-has-led-him-to-the-twins/504605051/

Win Twins!!

It would be fun to see the Twins sign Harper - just to watch the heads explode for all the fans who love to scream "cheap Pohlads."

But if they signed Harper, who plays CF, Harper or Buxton?

.......(that's a joke.....)

It would be fun to see the Twins sign Harper - just to watch the heads explode for all the fans who love to scream "cheap Pohlads."

But if they signed Harper, who plays CF, Harper or Buxton?

.......(that's a joke.....)

Yeah, I also really hate it when people espouse the truth.

Yeah, I also really hate it when people espouse the truth.

Probably but my problem is people shout it every time they do anything. Not every move is going to be for a top of the line guy. People were even screaming "cheap Pohlads" when the Twins made moves to finalize their 40 man roster before the Rule 5 draft. The comments I saw were pretty funny. A majority of Twins fans don't have a clue how the business side of baseball works.

It's also not as bad as people think. Terry Ryan admitted after he was let go that he had the ok to spend more money at times but didn't.

Souhan: Twins should close a deal on top reliever Craig Kimbrel

Last time I spoke with Twins boss Derek Falvey, I told him to sign Nelson Cruz. He did.

Let’s try this again. Derek: You should sign Craig Kimbrel.

Here’s why:

1. You need a closer. Maybe Blake Parker or Fernando Romero could handle the job, but neither feels like a sure thing.

Parker has closed games, but the Angels seemed pretty happy to let him leave and to sign Cody Allen, who is coming off the worst season of his career.

Romero has never earned a save in professional baseball. Parker and Romero could be assets this season, but you’re better off if they are earning their money somewhere other than the ninth inning.

2. You may view Kimbrel as ridiculously expensive. Because he likely will be. The analytics world doesn’t like expensive closers, because few pitch lots of innings or necessarily take the mound during the biggest crises.

But Kimbrel has been exceptional and healthy. He’s only 30. And if you don’t sign him and Byron Buxton, Miguel Sano and Max Kepler begin producing, you may have to go get a closer anyway, perhaps by giving up valuable assets in a trade.

A Kimbrel signing would be clean. He would be in place if this group of young Twins proves it’s ready to win.

3. The current players and fan base need a jolt. The problem with rebuilding is that it can be self-fulfilling. You can go years “developing” players without winning or giving the impression you’re trying to win, which can cause clubhouse apathy and fan anger.

If you sign Kimbrel, you’d be sending a signal to Miguel Sano and Joe Fan that you want to win now.

4. Kimbrel would make the whole bullpen better. You have a lot of pitchers who can handle the seventh or eighth inning. You have no one who would inspire immediate confidence while pitching the ninth.

5. Kimbrel would give you better starting pitching depth. If you didn’t have to try out Romero as a closer, he could compete for a starting job. Modern baseball teams might need 8-12 capable starters because of injuries and overloaded schedules. You may need Romero and Martin Perez in the rotation at some point.

6. In a way, Kimbrel would be a bargain. You’d be taking the $23 million a year you were paying Joe Mauer to be a good-fielding, light-hitting first baseman, and spending a little more than that a year on Cruz and Kimbrel — one of the game’s best pure sluggers and one of the game’s best relievers. That’s how you get better.

7. You need veterans. One of the reason the Twins signed Cruz was for his expected mentorship of Sano, a player capable of sinking or elevating the entire franchise.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-should-close-a-deal-on-top-reliever-craig-kimbrel/504730262/

Win Twins!!

On your wish list, how would you rank Kimbrel, Harper and Machado?

On your wish list, how would you rank Kimbrel, Harper and Machado?

Machado, Harper, Kimbrel

Good outfielders are easier to find in my opinion and infielders can usually transition to OF more easily than the opposite. Kimbrel is last because a great closer isn't as valuable as a great position player.

Machado, Harper, Kimbrel

Good outfielders are easier to find in my opinion and infielders can usually transition to OF more easily than the opposite. Kimbrel is last because a great closer isn't as valuable as a great position player.

Three questions/comments:

1. Do you value defense or offense more in the acquisition? Machado has been the better defender (and mostly at a premium position), while Harper is a better hitter.
2. Are you bidding on Machado's services as a SS or 3B? If SS, I would go Machado, Harper, Kimbrel. If 3B, I would go Harper, Machado, Kimbrel. Much like moving Mauer to 1B was a total waste of a Hall of Fame catcher, Machado at 3B is an All-Star, while Machado at SS is a HOFer.
3. Machado has been far more durable. Harper plays about 132 games per year on average, and has only exceeded 150 games twice in 7 years.

1. Machado
2. Harper
153. Kimbrel. I'm not paying big time bucks to a guy that appears in less than half the games.

Top Bottom