2018-2019 Minnesota Twins Off-Season Thread

That's the thing. If Mauer plays his entire career healthy, he is a 1st-ballot Hall of Famer hands down. Very good defensive catcher, and best-hitting catcher of his era. The concussions cost Mauer some of the prime years of his career. It's quite possible that, without the concussions, we're talking about close to 3,000 hits and several more Gold Gloves.

So, I put Mauer in the same category as Tony Oliva. great player when healthy, but injuries kept both of them from reaching their full potential. In fact, if Oliva had played his whole career healthy, he would have been considered one of the greatest hitters in baseball history.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Win Twins!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Win Twins!!

If the Twins are going after a 1st baseman, that indicates a couple of things - first, Sano will either be at 3rd or DH. next, Tyler Austin must not be the preferred option at 1st base. I know Austin has played some OF, so maybe there are some deals in the works that would create a spot in the OF.

As far as I know, you can only have one DH, (at least one at a time) so Sano had better come through at 3rd base, or there is going to be a logjam at 1st base and DH. Unless the brain trust has more moves planned.

If the Twins are going after a 1st baseman, that indicates a couple of things - first, Sano will either be at 3rd or DH. next, Tyler Austin must not be the preferred option at 1st base. I know Austin has played some OF, so maybe there are some deals in the works that would create a spot in the OF.

As far as I know, you can only have one DH, (at least one at a time) so Sano had better come through at 3rd base, or there is going to be a logjam at 1st base and DH. Unless the brain trust has more moves planned.

He only has one year left. Meanwhile, we have no idea what Sano will give us. I doubt they would do a complete move of Sano to 1B yet. Sano playing 80 games at 3B and 40 at DH is the probably the most we can hope for.

Not really surprising. Equally not surprising are comments from fans criticizing the owners and management for being cheap and stupid again thinking these were free agent pick ups. The Twins fan base has to be one of the dumbest around. If you're going to criticize them, at least know what you're talking about.

This would seem to be Chris' idea of a retirement announcement. Already speculation he could end up with a coaching role in the organization.

Last edited:

Not really surprising. Equally not surprising are comments from fans criticizing the owners and management for being cheap and stupid again thinking these were free agent pick ups. The Twins fan base has to be one of the dumbest around. If you're going to criticize them, at least know what you're talking about.

If you want good humor, read the Strib comments section after a trade or a loss.

STrib: Waiting for the Twins to turn on the hot stove

Most news out of 1 Twins Way has been related to the re-shaping of the coaching staff. After adding several new faces, look for some of the responsibilities to change.

Most recently, the Twins named Bill Evers as a Major League Coach. He replaces Jeff Pickler, who will move into another role within the organization. But Evers will focus on catching instruction on the major league level, a key role as the Twins look to continue to develop Mitch Garver's skills behind the plate. Evers has over 30 years of experience, and knows manager Rocco Baldelli from his time in the Rays organization. It's a good fit for Baldelli to have a sage-like presence on the staff.

Roles aren't just shifting there. Jeremy Hefner's move from being the advance scout to bullpen coach helps insure that all the advance data the Twins prepare will be disseminated throughout the relief corps. Hefner, actually, will focus on pitching and catching strategy. It's a different approach after Eddie Guardado was not brought back. Guardado's niche was the mental side of side pitching. He was aware of the analytics, but felt having the mental fortitude to pitch in high-leverage situations was just as important.

The Twins plan to fill Hefner's former postilion as advance scout. Guardado has been offered another role withing the organization, but there's no word if he has accepted. My guess is that the Twins will figure out a way keep him connected.

The other eye-opening move was the hiring of Wes Johnson as the pitching coach. Johnson comes straight to the majors from the University if Arkansas, where he was considered a bright mind. Some have referred to him as a velocity guru, able to get pitchers to throw harder. He's also had a few pitchers break down and have Tommy John surgeries. It will be an interesting mix. The Twins have seen a reduction in Tommy John surgeries since Falvine took over.

While college coaches in other sports move to the top professional leagues, it just doesn't happen in baseball. According to Baseball America, Dick Howser was the last college coach to make the jump, when he left Florida State to manage the Yankees in 1980.

The Brewers pitching coach in 2018 was Derek Johnson, who was a pitching coach in college before the Cubs hired him in 2012 as a pitching coordinator. He then moved to the Brewers - but just took a similar position with the Reds.

Johnson actually was on the Twins radar a year ago. But the thought then was that someone with major league experience would be a better fit with Paul Molitor. Now that Molitor is no longer the manager, the Twins made the move for Johnson. It will be very interesting to see how this move works out, and it's a move that other clubs will be watching closely.

Player acquisition news has to move to the forefront now, as the winter meetings, scheduled for Dec. 9, aren't that far away.

http://www.startribune.com/waiting-for-the-twins-to-turn-on-the-hot-stove/501146521/

Win Twins!!

per Shooter:

Former Twin Frank Viola, who won a World Series MVP and Cy Young Award with the Twins, was passed over in favor of University of
Arkansas’ Wes Johnson for the Twins major league pitching coach job.

Average age of new Twins manager Rocco Baldelli’s coaching staff is 43.6 years. Average age of predecessor manager Paul Molitor’s coaching staff was 49.3 years.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/11/...gi-wilf-willing-to-stick-to-the-same-program/

Win Twins!!

per Shooter:

Former Twin Frank Viola, who won a World Series MVP and Cy Young Award with the Twins, was passed over in favor of University of
Arkansas’ Wes Johnson for the Twins major league pitching coach job.

Average age of new Twins manager Rocco Baldelli’s coaching staff is 43.6 years. Average age of predecessor manager Paul Molitor’s coaching staff was 49.3 years.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/11/...gi-wilf-willing-to-stick-to-the-same-program/

Win Twins!!

Dude seems to be grossly unqualified?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Win Twins!!

I assume the Twins have a plan. I don't have a clue what that plan is.

I did hear a media type claim that a source told him the Twins are planning to take the payroll down to about $65 million and build around the young kids, with a goal to be competitive in 2020 or there abouts.

If that's true, get used to crowds of about 15,000 at every home game.

I did hear a media type claim that a source told him the Twins are planning to take the payroll down to about $65 million and build around the young kids, with a goal to be competitive in 2020 or there abouts.

I like short lines.

WHAT?! $65MM?! Where on earth did you hear that? That would have been the second lowest in the Majors this past season and half of what we had in 2018. I would be shocked if we were less than $90MM and would expect us to be around $115MM.

Win Twins!!

WHAT?! $65MM?! Where on earth did you hear that? That would have been the second lowest in the Majors this past season and half of what we had in 2018. I would be shocked if we were less than $90MM and would expect us to be around $115MM.

Win Twins!!

Jeez they better start signing some really freakin expensive players...

No reason for that. Cleveland has several FA's. The Division is right there for the taking.

Win Twins!!

Apparently each team got ~$20-30 million last season from MLB selling part of its media business, so there could be a reduction from the $130 m that we had in 2018. But to cut it in half is ridiculous. If they do nothing in FA, that's where it wold be though.

I was listening to a podcast, and a twin-cities based writer said that's what he heard from a source - although he added that was just from one source. but, according to his source, the idea is to follow what the Astros did - take the payroll way down and build around a core group of prospects. So, at the very least, someone thinks the Twins are talking about that as an option.

I was listening to a podcast, and a twin-cities based writer said that's what he heard from a source - although he added that was just from one source. but, according to his source, the idea is to follow what the Astros did - take the payroll way down and build around a core group of prospects. So, at the very least, someone thinks the Twins are talking about that as an option.

This team was 78-84. They are nowhere near where the Astros were circa 2013 or so. Berrios, Rosario, Polanco, Kepler etc. are all in their prime. This is not the time for a re-build. Sign 2 infielders a starter or two and some BP help. The Royce Lewis's and company will arrive when they arrive.

The astros had a hard time signing free agents to push them over the top when they had the killer b's. The rebuild strategy was a huge risk but obviously they have been rewarded with a championship. The Twins are similar in the sense that the best free agents we can get we have to extremely over pay or they won't come.

Win Twins!!

Top Bottom