PennLive: Ranking Big Ten QBs (13. Zack Annexstad, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per PennLive:

13. Zack Annexstad, Minnesota

Another freshman who’s barely had time to get his bearings, thrown into the Big Ten maelstrom without any real seasoning. Also another IMG product, at least Annexstad has the benefit of a stable and conservative system under P.J. Fleck and his 4-year coordinator, Kirk Ciarrocca who came with him from Western Michigan. When the HC-OC relationship is stable, it’s easier for a young QB.

And Fleck certainly doesn’t ask the walk-on to do too much. Annexstad has thrown 111 passes in 4 games, a lot of it check-down stuff. But it hasn’t helped him that both halves of Minnesota’s double-barreled running attack are out with injuries. Shannon Brooks tore his ACL during winter workouts and Rodney Smith ripped up his right knee early in the Fresno State win and is out for the year. The stress on the offense and Annexstad began to show in the rout loss @Maryland and he had a rough day – 4 sacks, 2 picks and a lost fumble.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/index.ssf/2018/09/best_big_ten_quarterbacks_mcso.html

Go Gophers!!

What a surprise who they have at number 1.

Fair assessment, especially after the last two performances. Has a ton of potential though. Hopefully should start climbing the ranks soon.
He's crazy accurate at short distances, hopefully the long-ball, footwork, and intelligence come along.

I really think Zach will at a minimum be a Weber/Leidner caliber Big Ten QB by the time he's done here (and I was a fan of Weber and Leidner), but 13 might be fair right now, especially when he's injured.

Lucky 13. He won't stay there. The rest of the Gophers offense will mature and develop.

He'll be proclaimed the new Mankato Jesus.

Lucky 13. He won't stay there. The rest of the Gophers offense will mature and develop.

He'll be proclaimed the new Mankato Jesus.
You mean Norseland Jesus.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Fair enough, gotta start somewhere. He'll climb up as time goes on, certainly has promise here.

I really think Zach will at a minimum be a Weber/Leidner caliber Big Ten QB by the time he's done here (and I was a fan of Weber and Leidner), but 13 might be fair right now, especially when he's injured.

He's already a better arm talent than Leidner was after like 2 weeks so I don't think that's going to be too much of an issue. Getting to Weber's level is going to require a lot of work in the downfield passing game.

I think Leidner had a stronger arm but Zach still has time to build strength.
He's already a better arm talent than Leidner was after like 2 weeks so I don't think that's going to be too much of an issue. Getting to Weber's level is going to require a lot of work in the downfield passing game.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

He is hobbling. He'll learn a lot this season win or loss. He'll get better, stronger, and wiser. It is a shame that Rodney Smith went down because it will have given defenders one extra element to defend. Now, opponents just figure to put strong pass rushes to effectively slow down the Gophers offense.

Last edited:

Top Bottom