STrib: Early Gophers player impressions after first basketball practice of the season

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

THOUGHTS ON NEWCOMERS

Daniel Oturu – Scrimmaged for the first time Tuesday since joining the Gophers. Called for the ball in the post, including when he scored off a nice drop step move on Omersa. Undersized centers will have difficulty dealing with his length and athleticism inside. It wasn’t as easy to hold position once matched up with the 7-foot, 240-pound Stockman. Oturu was taken out of the scrimmage and replaced by Omersa for a mistake in the scrimmage. Curry talked to him on the sideline and helped him learn. That was a glimpse of Curry’s leadership. Oturu runs the floor better than any Gopher player 6-10 or taller I’ve seen in years. He even ran ahead of the entire Maroon squad in several sprints. Oturu has a nice shooting stroke that should help him score outside of the paint and make him a solid free throw shooter. Biggest upside for a freshman big man in the program since Kris Humphries, the last Gopher to make the NBA Draft in 2004.

Gabe Kalscheur – Don’t call him just a shooter. There was a drill where a defender has to turn the ball handler as many times as he can down the length of the floor in a confined space. Kalscheur forced several turns on Washington, who has the best handles on the team. It was impressive to see a freshman that competitive and committed to moving his feet defensively. DeLaSalle High taught him to value defense for sure. Kalscheur didn’t shoot the ball from three-point range like he’s capable of in the scrimmage. But it didn’t matter. He continued to get open shots and launched from deep. That’s what shooters do.

Brock Stull – From the first time he set foot on campus last month until now, Stull’s body has definitely changed after getting into the U’s strength and conditioning program. After trimming down, the Wisconsin-Milwaukee graduate transfer will now have to digest the playbook and get into better shape. He’ll have time before the regular season to get acclimated. He made a tough three-pointer in the corner falling down under pressure. Those are the type of plays he made the last two years in the Horizon League. The Big Ten is another level. His leadership is where Stull can make the most impact right away like grad transfer Akeem Springs in 2016-17. He just has to be louder, Pitino said. Making the team run early in practice when Stull’s teammates couldn’t hear his instructions for a jumping jacks drill.

Jarvis Omersa – Blessed with incredible leaping ability, length and a college-ready frame, Omersa definitely looks like he belongs on the court physically. At times, the Orono product couldn’t find ways to stay involved when the game slowed down to half court. He always plays with the high energy. So that consistent effort and his explosiveness should get him on the court this season. Understanding where he needs to be will help Omersa do less thinking and more reacting, a process most freshmen go through. His dunk off a pass from Coffey made the gym go “Oooh.” He played some alongside Murphy in the scrimmage. It reminded me of Pitino’s version of small-ball last season with Davonte Fitzgerald, who transferred in the spring. Pitino kept telling Omersa to "go score the ball" when he had the defender on his back down low, so finally he did just that late in practice.

Matz Stockman – Technically, Stockman’s not a newcomer since he was on the team and sat out last season, but he fits into that category since he’s not played for the Gophers. There hasn’t been much to analyze with Stockman since he arrived from Louisville. He played a bit in last year’s open scrimmage at Williams Arena. He’s a giant who plays a finesse game. The Norway native prefers to take 8-10 footers rather than post up and finish at the rim. Sound familiar Gopher fans? Yes, his skills are very similar to former U big man Ralph Sampson III. Instead of trying to force him to be a physical presence, it probably serves Minnesota’s coaches best to let him play his game. If he can be half the shot blocker Sampson was it will go a long way to helping the Gophers replace Reggie Lynch’s defense in the middle.

http://www.startribune.com/early-go...-basketball-practice-of-the-season/494422791/

Go Gophers!!

I don't think it's a big deal that Stockman is more of a finesse guy on offense, it's probably actually a good thing if he plays his minutes next to Murphy or Omersa who I think are both are more comfortable in the post. The important thing of course is that he's efficient with his scoring opportunities. I guess a shorter/easier way to say this is I don't care if he's a finesse guy or a power guy as long as he provides positive value on the court which has been difficult for the Gophers to find at the 5 spot for much of Pitino's tenure.

I have been disappointed to read about Stull not being in shape. I know he had a lot of course work to do, but I have a hard time believing he spent every waking hour doing it. You made the decision to grad transfer and to make the leap to high major basketball...wouldn't you be getting in the best shape of your life in the off-season to prepare for that? Obviously there could be various extenuating circumstances that could explain him being out of shape so I shouldn't jump to conclusions here.

I feel like the expectations for this team can reach a new level if any of Jarvis, Gabe, or Matz prove to provide real value on the court. I see the Gophers as needing Daniel and Brock to be key members of their top 7 and then if you can push that to an 8th (or even 9th?) really solid piece things should work out really well for Coach Pitino.

Has their ever been a Euro who hasn't been a finesse player?

I feel like the Gophers can go deeper than 7 with players I have confidence in:

1. Murphy
2. Coffee
3. McBrayer
4. Curry
5. Oturu
6. Washington
7. Hurt
8. Kalesheur
9. Omersa

Don't get on my back about having Oturu higher than Washington. Washington has the hardest job on the team!

Plus, If Carr is eligible, he jumps up right by Oturu and Washington immediately. That's ten guys I feel can contribute 10+ minutes at a high level.

1. Murphy
2. Coffee
3. McBrayer
4. Curry
5. Oturu
6. Washington
7. Hurt
8. Kalesheur
9. Omersa

Don't get on my back about having Oturu higher than Washington. Washington has the hardest job on the team!

Plus, If Carr is eligible, he jumps up right by Oturu and Washington immediately. That's ten guys I feel can contribute 10+ minutes at a high level.

Washington didn't inspire much confidence last year, it's ok to have some doubts. I certainly do.

1. Murphy
2. Coffee
3. McBrayer
4. Curry
5. Oturu
6. Washington
7. Hurt
8. Kalesheur
9. Omersa

Stull will play a lot. If he plays less minutes than Hurt, that will not be a good sign.

Stull will play a lot. If he plays less minutes than Hurt, that will not be a good sign.

I forgot about Stull. But if he is gassed the first week of practice my confidence in an Akeem Springs like outcome are tempered considerably!

Plenty of time for Stull to get his wind. It’s not like we’re talking the old Mo Walker here.

I forgot about Stull. But if he is gassed the first week of practice my confidence in an Akeem Springs like outcome are tempered considerably!
Akeem came in out of shape and was ****in brutal in November too

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Washington didn't inspire much confidence last year, it's ok to have some doubts. I certainly do.

He was awful at times early on, but did you watch the last 9 games? He started slow and finished very strong. Sometimes it takes freshmen a while to adjust. I'm sure he'll have a few inefficient performances, but I'm expecting a good year from him overall, especially since he has better players to dump the ball off to now.

He was awful at times early on, but did you watch the last 9 games? He started slow and finished very strong. Sometimes it takes freshmen a while to adjust. I'm sure he'll have a few inefficient performances, but I'm expecting a good year from him overall, especially since he has better players to dump the ball off to now.

Agreed. Early one he was really forcing the action and far too often played 1 vs 5....he played more within offense as season went on and adjusted. Still frustrating moments, but definitely an improvement.

Washington will be good. Not great, but good. This team looks more like a team he can play with. More athletic bigs will help him a lot.

Stull will get in shape. Doesn't take too long for good athletes in their early 20s.

I don't doubt that Washington can be good in his second year, I like his skillset.

That they have no real backup for him really compounds the pressure on him which I think is going to be a problem.

I don't doubt that Washington can be good in his second year, I like his skillset.

That they have no real backup for him really compounds the pressure on him which I think is going to be a problem.

Sounds like it may be PG by committee after IW. Dupree and Stull can take some minutes. Also, Richard Coffey may get his wish in his son playing some point this year. That could be fun, but I’m not so sure about his handles. Could be a turnover machine against a tenacious defender. I hope I’m wrong as he is a good enough passer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom