Jericho Sims

Wow...football or basketball make your pick if you can catch a football.

I think it was a case of the kid wanted to get away from home for school. See something different. Austin, Texas is exactly that.

Late bloomer

It will be interesting to see how he does this year... had some great highlights, but he still looked pretty lost out there as a freshman.

Much more of an athlete than a complete basketball player.

Cool to see this - Known this kid since I coached him while he played on my son's team in 4th grade in Roseville, Dad a real gentleman. Kid is crazy athletic but very raw on both ends of the court. If he sticks it out and responds to getting pushed by the coaches then by his junior & senior year he'll be a beast.

Many thought we had him. Legacy recruit. Late bloomer. Played at a small school. Texas got a hold of him and he basically shut down communications with MN. Tried.

Color me skeptical that this recruitment was on the up and up, for a wide variety of reasons.

His college career didn’t seem any better than Brandon Johnson .

Sims was a very solid player his last two years at Texas, definitely would've taken him over Brandon Johnson. Didn't put much on the scoresheet but was a lock down defender and capable rebounder.

Great point....also got me to thinking that Shaka Smart may not know how to use big guys. Quite possibly why Theo John and Dawson Garcia are moving on from Marquette.
He had three guys get drafted in the first round in Jaxon Hayes, Mo Bamba, and Jarrett Allen. Two of those were in the lottery. I don't think he has any trouble selling big men. Theo and Dawson signed up for what Woj and Stan Johnson (former assistant) set them up for. Shaka's program is different and they both are moving onto blue bloods. I think they'd both be pros if the Euro Market wasn't so bleak.

He had three guys get drafted in the first round in Jaxon Hayes, Mo Bamba, and Jarrett Allen. Two of those were in the lottery. I don't think he has any trouble selling big men. Theo and Dawson signed up for what Woj and Stan Johnson (former assistant) set them up for. Shaka's program is different and they both are moving onto blue bloods. I think they'd both be pros if the Euro Market wasn't so bleak.
True. Don't know that it means he uses them well in college though. You would think that with as much talent as he had, those guys would have been more productive. Sims averaged a little over 9 ppg last year, Hayes right at 10 his last year and I believe Bamba and Allen were right around 13 ppg. Lots of talent there and not a ton of production.

True. Don't know that it means he uses them well in college though. You would think that with as much talent as he had, those guys would have been more productive. Sims averaged a little over 9 ppg last year, Hayes right at 10 his last year and I believe Bamba and Allen were right around 13 ppg. Lots of talent there and not a ton of production.
Good points, but Shaka doesn’t have utilize or have his bigs score much in his offense. He recruits high level active athletes who can defend and crash the offensive glass. His bigs will never put up huge numbers unless he changes that. I’m not a big Shaka fan or believer and would’ve been annoyed if we hired him, but I always felt he recruited and played his bigs the way he wanted to. Didn’t win enough with them though for sure.

Good points, but Shaka doesn’t have utilize or have his bigs score much in his offense. He recruits high level active athletes who can defend and crash the offensive glass. His bigs will never put up huge numbers unless he changes that. I’m not a big Shaka fan or believer and would’ve been annoyed if we hired him, but I always felt he recruited and played his bigs the way he wanted to. Didn’t win enough with them though for sure.
Sims was impactful in every Texas game I watched the last couple of years, and it seemed he was productive in the role he was given.

seems like pitino and his assistants weren’t very good at assessing talent or couldn’t coach em up. I think Ben was one of the assistants who failed. Where is the upside here?

He had three guys get drafted in the first round in Jaxon Hayes, Mo Bamba, and Jarrett Allen. Two of those were in the lottery. I don't think he has any trouble selling big men.

Those players also have been pretty productive to date in the NBA. The one who wasn't a lottery pick, Jared Allen (#22,) has been the most productive. He ranks #2 in Win Shares for his draft class and #2 in Win Shares per 48 Minutes. The lottery picks have been reserves but pretty good ones. Jaxson Hayes is #3 in his draft class for both Win Shares and Win Shares per 48 Minutes.

Top Bottom