Kelly Bryant Transferring (QB Clemson)

Sparlimb

Reaction score
I'd take him for next year...

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...-clemson-tigers-qb-kelly-bryant-says-transfer

Kelly Bryant has decided to transfer from Clemson after losing the starting quarterback job, he told The Greenville News on Wednesday.

Bryant started the last 18 games for the Tigers, but was informed Monday that he had been demoted in favor of freshman Trevor Lawrence. Coach Dabo Swinney described their Monday meeting as "emotional" and gave Bryant the day off practice. But Bryant also skipped practice on Tuesday. He detailed his decision to the newspaper. Bryant didn't return phone and text messages sent by ESPN.

"They asked me how I felt about it," Bryant told the newspaper about his meeting with Swinney. "I was like, 'I'm not discrediting Trevor. He's doing everything asked of him, but on my side of it, I feel like I haven't done anything to not be the starter. I've been here. I've waited my turn. I've done everything y'all have asked me to do, plus more.'

"I've never been a distraction. I've never been in trouble with anything. To me, it was kind of a slap in the face."

Bryant started the first four games this season but split time with Lawrence. With the new redshirting rules this season, Bryant, a senior, has an opportunity to transfer to another school with one year of eligibility remaining because he played in only four games this season. The new rule states that players who participate in four games or fewer can retain the season of eligibility.

Bryant went 16-2 as a starter and led Clemson to the College Football Playoff last year.

"I feel like it's what's best for me and my future," Bryant said. "I was just going to control what I could control and try to make the most of my opportunity, but at the end of the day, I just don't feel like I've gotten a fair shot."

On Tuesday, Swinney told reporters, "We've played four games now and it's a difficult thing, man, it's a tough day, but it's just where we are," Swinney said earlier Tuesday. "I've told y'all that many times that if we saw a change, if there was a change, we'd probably all know it, and that's what happened Saturday. And Kelly didn't do anything wrong. He played well. But Trevor, after four games, productivity and just the sheer data, he deserves to run out there first this game."

Lawrence leads Clemson with 600 passing yards and has nine touchdowns and only two interceptions, completing 65 percent of his attempts. Bryant has 461 passing yards with two touchdowns and one interception, completing 66.7 percent of his attempts with 130 rushing yards and two rushing touchdowns.

Kudos to Dabo for telling him while he had time to transfer.

I don't think all coaches do that...

Probably end up with the badgers because that's how this works for us

Lawrence will get hurt, Bryant will be gone and Dabo will be left with the unfulfilled promises of his team.

Lawrence will get hurt, Bryant will be gone and Dabo will be left with the unfulfilled promises of his team.

Exactly, If you feel your close, wouldn't you stay and wait for the wind to change back? If your a coach why would you have this conversation with the guy unless you think he's really #3 on the depth chart, not 2?

Exactly, If you feel your close, wouldn't you stay and wait for the wind to change back? If your a coach why would you have this conversation with the guy unless you think he's really #3 on the depth chart, not 2?

A lot of this is the transfer rule. If he takes one more snap his career likely ends as a backup this January. Now he gets a whole season, a fresh start, and likely a free masters at a school of his choice.

I think Minnesota should make a serious run at him assuming he’s eligible in 2019. They won’t, but adding him to our more experienced team with a bunch of returning injured stars and a light schedule could make for a big year for all involved.

If I were Bryant Minnesota would be a very attractive choice given the roster, depth chart, growing WR talent, and 2019 schedule

Because you're a good guy and honest with the kid.

What's the word I'm looking for? Entitled, yeah that's the one.

I'd take him for next year too, but I wouldn't guarantee him the job. I'm not sure he'd be ok with that answer though.

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek or not but I struggle to understand why people think upperclassmen should stay when they’ve been passed up by underclassmen. You aren’t going to stay at a company that doesn’t value you when you have a better opportunity elsewhere. Bryant’s not getting to the NFL sitting on Clemson’s bench.

One of the things that’s kinda emotionally complicated here for Bryant — Clemson’s good. He got them to the Playoff last year and they barely have ever lost with him. It’s easier to understand these sorts of things when losing.

I lost my starting job in HS Basketball mid season my senior year to a sophomore. This was in the midst of a 10-1 start, one of the best in school history. Still the best team that school has had in 20 years. That fact alone made it real hard on me and if transfer was an option, I would have. With the switch that team was really no better or worse and I was miserable watching it the rest of the year playing a lot less.

Clemson would win a lot with Demry Croft at QB. Bryant might not be that great. But from the comments I heard and having lived it some myself I can understand some serious WTF, we’re winning emotions for him right now.

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek or not but I struggle to understand why people think upperclassmen should stay when they’ve been passed up by underclassmen. You aren’t going to stay at a company that doesn’t value you when you have a better opportunity elsewhere. Bryant’s not getting to the NFL sitting on Clemson’s bench.

It really comes down to why you went to the college you did. Was it to be part of that team or to get to the NFL? I imagine everyone places a different weight on each of those. He certainly has a right to do what he's doing, but you also have to admire the people that stick it out and hang around as the capable backup.

Kudos to Dabo for telling him while he had time to transfer.

I don't think all coaches do that...

Correct. NCAA football has become a business. And as much as we hate to acknowledge it.....the coach/player relationship is very close to an employer/employee relationship. There are obviously several key differences that are not worth getting into.

But like you said, Kudos to Dabo for telling Bryant ahead of time. He could have easily played him just like any other game and burnt up his remaining eligibility so that he was forced to stick with the team. He's given him the opportunity to play out his senior year as a starter somewhere else, even if it means sacrificing depth on his own team. And for Bryant, who knows? It could be the difference between having a future career in the NFL vs. no career in football. I think that's pretty commendable on the part of Dabo.

Jalen Hurts should transfer from Alabama too. I'm surprised he hasn't, and would take that to mean he is going for the 2019 NFL draft.

It really comes down to why you went to the college you did. Was it to be part of that team or to get to the NFL? I imagine everyone places a different weight on each of those. He certainly has a right to do what he's doing, but you also have to admire the people that stick it out and hang around as the capable backup.

I just think considering the work these guys have put in to even get to this level, the NFL has to be on their mind as an end goal for the majority of them. It’s not realistic for 99% of them but more often than not recurits are picking a school for early playing time or to be developed into a pro. To win a championship you have to have guys sacrifice and they deserve credit for sticking around but at the I can’t knock a kid for taking advantage of a better opportunity. You only get one crack at this thing you’ve worked your whole life for. Strevler’s probably not a QB in the CFL if he sticks around here for example.

I just think considering the work these guys have put in to even get to this level, the NFL has to be on their mind as an end goal for the majority of them. It’s not realistic for 99% of them but more often than not recurits are picking a school for early playing time or to be developed into a pro. To win a championship you have to have guys sacrifice and they deserve credit for sticking around but at the I can’t knock a kid for taking advantage of a better opportunity. You only get one crack at this thing you’ve worked your whole life for. Strevler’s probably not a QB in the CFL if he sticks around here for example.

I hear you - it just depends on your situation and how important your team is to you. If I was in his shoes I really don't know which choice I'd make.

Fleck’s Gophers run a mostly pro set, under-center offense ideal for showing NFL readiness. Nice transfer spot, if they can block for it.

Bryant started 18 games for Clemson. Scouts know who he is and transferring is doubtful to help his draft stock at this stage.

I'd take him for next year too, but I wouldn't guarantee him the job. I'm not sure he'd be ok with that answer though.

This is what I'm thinking. Would he be another Nelson?

Easy for you to say. If you got passed up by some young hot shot favored by your boss, wouldn’t you look for another job? The clock is ticking for him to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More power to him. No way would I want to sit around as the backup my senior season after putting in all the work to win the starting job. If you only had one year left to play football for the rest of your life, you wouldn't want to spend it watching from the sidelines - its pretty obvious he won't be an NFL player so this is likely his last shot to be the guy.

?

I hope this was a joke

Nope. By NCAA standards the Gophers run an offensive style under Fleck that’s close to an NFL scheme. As opposed to read option schemes, Air Raid schemes, triple option schemes, and such that comprise at least half the NCAA offenses. They still run it more than he would probably ideally like, but both his teams at Western as well as his team here want to establish a pro-style QB, roughly 60/40 pass/run split which fits with the modern NFL.

Fleck’s Gophers run a mostly pro set, under-center offense ideal for showing NFL readiness. Nice transfer spot, if they can block for it.

They are never under center. Check with your eye doctor.

roughly 60/40 pass/run split which fits with the modern NFL.

I had heard from Ryan Burns, on gopher gridiron radio, that the split they desired was 60/40 55/45 run to pass.

Western Michigan
2016: 897 plays with 519 rushing 378 passing. 58/42
2015: 914 plays with 510 rushing 404 passing. 56/44
2014: 855 plays with 484 rushing 371 passing. 57/43
2013: 818 plays with 387 rushing 431 passing. 47/53

Top Bottom