Kelly Bryant Transferring (QB Clemson)

The other funny thing about people from Milwaukee (or maybe Wisconsin in general) - huge Packer and Badger fans even after they move to Minnesota. But they all become Twins and Twolves fans.

Miller Park I have never been too, not a fan of indoor stadiums for baseball (though maybe that one has a retractable roof?). Twins Brewers isn't much of a thing for me, with Brew in the NL, plus I haven't followed the Twins for some time now ... the new stadium aura wore off.

Twolves Bucks, should be a thing. I hope it becomes a thing. But of course, different confs again. Bucks have a new arena, and have the Greek Freak guy. Twolves have our two young stars (and hope they ship out Butler for some high draft picks).

If PJ Fleck is true to his words: "...My job is to out-recruit you...", just sayin'.

Detroit is a..fine town. Lt Dan with some solid life advice. Some cities are surprisingly nice in parts. Indianapolis for example was far nicer than I expected. LA, OTOH is a real ****hole.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gh2DzGccvJc?start=174" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I do not watch a lot of Clemson football so I am making this assumption of his stat line and gut feeling. Maybe he just isn't very good. I don't get the hoopla about PJ needing to recruit him ASAP just because he was Clemson's starting QB. I just think with all the talent that the Clemson roster has and had last year he should have more than 15 passing touchdowns in almost 500 attempts.

I do not watch a lot of Clemson football so I am making this assumption of his stat line and gut feeling. Maybe he just isn't very good. I don't get the hoopla about PJ needing to recruit him ASAP just because he was Clemson's starting QB. I just think with all the talent that the Clemson roster has and had last year he should have more than 15 passing touchdowns in almost 500 attempts.

Strongly agree with this. Watched quite a few Clemson games last year - he's an adequate starting QB but nothing special. There's a reason he was passed over for a freshman (albeit a very talented one).

Lawrence just got hurt

Weird. Called this in like the 3rd post of this thread. Karma is real.

Dabo loses his established starter he made a backup. Savannah keeps his. Funny how everyone rips on Saban but loves Dabo

Weird. Called this in like the 3rd post of this thread. Karma is real.

Dabo loses his established starter he made a backup. Savannah keeps his. Funny how everyone rips on Saban but loves Dabo

Dabo did the right thing with Bryant. Lawrence is the better player and Dabo was upfront with Bryant and told him this before he played in his fifth game. Dabo could have easily started Bryant for a series and put him in awful spot (named Lawrence the starter next week when Bryant had zero eligibility left).

Dabo's backups are completely unproven and he is chasing a national championship. He'd love to have Bryant back (said as much and probably will), but he put doing right by Bryant above his own interests. Dabo handled an incredibly difficult situation the way you'd hope he would.

Dabo did the right thing with Bryant. Lawrence is the better player and Dabo was upfront with Bryant and told him this before he played in his fifth game. Dabo could have easily started Bryant for a series and put him in awful spot (named Lawrence the starter next week when Bryant had zero eligibility left).

Dabo's backups are completely unproven and he is chasing a national championship. He'd love to have Bryant back (said as much and probably will), but he put doing right by Bryant above his own interests. Dabo handled an incredibly difficult situation the way you'd hope he would.

I get what you’re saying. Nothing to do with what I said though.

People think so highly of Dabo and look down on Saban. Saban was able to tell Hurts he wouldn’t be starting and retain his services as a backup. Dabo told Bryant later in the year and he still left.

Exactly. I was pulling for Cuse....but I was completely conflicted down the stretch. Dabo did a a highly respectable thing with the way he handled the Bryant situation. He could have easily kept him as the "starter" and eased Lawrence into the starting position.....thus burning Bryant's eligibility and pretty much gluing him to the team. Some of the talking heads have somewhat demonized Bryant for turning his back on his team. I don't get that at all. It's a team full of guys that have pro aspirations and Bryant's were basically just trashed if Debo hadn't done what he had done. Is Bryant just supposed to just smile and accept the fact that his (possibly) garbage degree won't net him more than a lousy job.....despite that fact that he was the starting QB on a National Championship winning NCAA football team? That he was the starting QB on the #3 undefeated team in the nation? I don't blame him at all for wanting to play out his senior year and hope that he draws some pro attention.

It sucks for Clemson and Dabo. But Dabo did the right thing by Bryant. Sure....my respect means absolutely nothing. But I'll be cheering for the success of Clemson and Sweeney. That takes some balls to sacrifice depth at such an important position in order to do right by one of your players. Too many sleazy coaches wouldn't have done that.

People think so highly of Dabo and look down on Saban. Saban was able to tell Hurts he wouldn’t be starting and retain his services as a backup. Dabo told Bryant later in the year and he still left.

I guess I haven't heard of anyone ripping on Saban for going with Tua. I've heard some people rip on him during the offseason for not telling Hurts earlier (when he was obviously going with Tua). I don't know if any of that is true, but they really aren't similar situations.

There is also a history of Saban pressuring guys off the team.

Purely a wild guess: Hurts is going to the draft, so it wouldn't make sense to transfer. Bryant on the other hand needs another shot in college to prove himself worth a draft pick or even a free agent shot.

Any QB who is being protected by a strong OL with 4/5 Star cast of characters better have lights out stats.

Put the same QB behind the Gophers current OL, and you will quickly find out how good they are.

For every Aaron Rogers or Russell Wilson transfer, you are more than likely to have a lot of mediocre players.

Conversely, maybe look at a QB from a middling school who played with maybe behind a less than stellar OL and supporting cast who lit up the stats sheets. E.g., Russell Wilson at NC State.

2008 N.C. State - Last Place ACC 4-4 6-7
2009 N.C. State - Last Place ACC 2-6 5-7
2010 N.C. State - 3rd Place ACC 5-3 9-4
2011 Wisconsin - 2nd Place Leaders Div behind Ohio State 6-2 11-3

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/russell-wilson-1.html

Last edited:

For every Aaron Rogers or Russell Wilson transfer.......

I missed the Rogers' transfer, where was that to?

I guess I haven't heard of anyone ripping on Saban for going with Tua. I've heard some people rip on him during the offseason for not telling Hurts earlier (when he was obviously going with Tua). I don't know if any of that is true, but they really aren't similar situations.

There is also a history of Saban pressuring guys off the team.

Anyone that watched last year's national championship game knew who was starting this year. Hurts clearly had to know that...

For every Aaron Rogers or Russell Wilson transfer.......

I missed the Rogers' transfer, where was that to?

Despite record-setting stats in high school, he attracted little interest from D1 schools because of his height at 5'10" and considered quitting football altogether to study law.

The only D1 offer he had was to Illinois as a walk-on. He was recruited to play football at Butte Community College in Oroville, CA. He was then discovered and recruited to play for the Cal Golden Bears by none other than current Fresno State head coach Jeff Tedford.

Top Bottom