Pioneer Press article on Carr availability

Otis

Reaction score
Can someone post a summary of this. I can't get it since I'm so cheap!

per Greder:

The Minnesota Gophers men's basketball team has five new players who can contribute this season and is awaiting an NCAA decision that could make it six.

Marcus Carr, who transferred from Pittsburgh to Minnesota in May, has applied for a hardship waiver to immediately play this season and not sit out the standard year, per NCAA rules.

"Ongoing process with the waiver," Gophers coach Richard Pitino said Tuesday, Sept. 25, before the program's first official practice. "Nothing new. They don't really keep us updated or anything like that."

The rationale for the exception Carr seeks is based on how Pitt coach Kevin Stallings was fired in March; that same reason was used in a recent precedent in which a waiver was awarded.

In March, Watertown, Minn., native Trae Berhow left Pepperdine after its coach was fired, and he transferred to Northern Iowa. He was granted a hardship waiver last week, but his application had an added wrinkle in that Trae's mother, Nicole Berhow, who moved to California to be near her son, was looking to return closer to home to be near her ailing father, according to the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier.

Carr's situation does not include a similar family aspect, but the Gophers hope he will be granted a waiver and that a decision will come well before their Nov. 6 season opener against Omaha at Williams Arena.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sp...o-says-gophers-will-need-newcomers-contribute

Go Gophers!!

Why do these things take so long?

This would be a huge boost, but I’m not getting my hopes up (cause I’m a Gopher fan).

IMHO, don't get your hopes up on Marcus Carr getting immediate eligibility. They would have replied sooner. The waiver request taking too long doesn't sound encouraging.

IMHO, don't get your hopes up on Marcus Carr getting immediate eligibility. They would have replied sooner. The waiver request taking too long doesn't sound encouraging.

4 guys seeking waivers got cleared yesterday. They are trickling in.

FWIW, Doogs said on his 1500 podcast today somebody close to the program told him they are optimistic Carr will be eligible this season. Would be a great boost to guard depth if it indeed happens. We'll find out from the team when they hear from the NCAA. I would assume it would be within the next 2 weeks, since the season opener is about a month away.

In this situation, you have to practice as if you are eligible and adjust if you are told otherwise.

FWIW, Doogs said on his 1500 podcast today somebody close to the program told him they are optimistic Carr will be eligible this season. Would be a great boost to guard depth if it indeed happens. We'll find out from the team when they hear from the NCAA. I would assume it would be within the next 2 weeks, since the season opener is about a month away.

In this situation, you have to practice as if you are eligible and adjust if you are told otherwise.

Knowing the NCAA, they'll find out next April that he is eligible for this season.

Oh no, Doogie is the kiss of death.... hopefully this lead is more accurate than his typical stuff!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We just need that certain someone to proclaim it’s, at best, a 2 percent possibility. Shazam, he’s eligible!

His literally only factor in this waiver is that his coach at Pitt got fired. That wouldn't be enough for me, if I was making the decision (and had no affiliation to the U) ... but maybe it's loosening up. We'll see! Hopefully soon

You're basing this on nothing, right? Just saying it because it sounds like something. The NCAA acting slowly is not indicative of anything aside from them acting slowly.

I am basing it on this is Minnesota BB. They don't get breaks like NC or other schools.

I am basing it on this is Minnesota BB. They don't get breaks like NC or other schools.

Well, if they get a negative decision on Carr while other schools got a positive decision on Pitt transfers (there were multiple ones as I recall), I think they should appeal (or maybe even threaten to sue).

Well, if they get a negative decision on Carr while other schools got a positive decision on Pitt transfers (there were multiple ones as I recall), I think they should appeal (or maybe even threaten to sue).

Actually I think Carr was the only non graduate transfer from Pitt, everyone else ended up staying.

I don't follow Jay Bilas on twitter any more. Is he still the mouthpiece for all the guys who don't get transfer waivers? Curious whether there have been any lately. If Bilas has been quiet, it may mean that pretty much everyone who seeks waivers is getting them.

I don't follow Jay Bilas on twitter any more. Is he still the mouthpiece for all the guys who don't get transfer waivers? Curious whether there have been any lately. If Bilas has been quiet, it may mean that pretty much everyone who seeks waivers is getting them.

I don't follow Bilas anymore either. I get not liking the NCAA and many of the rules in place but he's been a little over the top lately. He knows his college basketball but I feel like he rarely talks about it anymore.

I don't follow Bilas anymore either. I get not liking the NCAA and many of the rules in place but he's been a little over the top lately. He knows his college basketball but I feel like he rarely talks about it anymore.

Yeah I got tired of his constant schtick. The one thing I'm curious about now is whether any football or bb players have had their transfer waiver request DENIED since last April, when the new and possibly much looser NCAA guidelines came out. The "health, safety and well being" factor could, if the NCAA chose, be applied so liberally that basically any well written waiver request would be granted. I have not seen any news of waiver requests being denied, but like I said, that may partly be because I don't follow Bilas any more and he was the main news source on that issue.

Also, in Carr's case, it would be instructive to know whether Pitt supported our waiver request. That seemed to be relevant in the Shea Patterson case.

Is there a chance his paperwork slipped through the cracks? Cant believe its still open with the season so close

Is there a chance his paperwork slipped through the cracks? Cant believe its still open with the season so close

I think last year some guys found out right before the season started. Don’t remember exactly who. One of them may have been one of those Nebraska transfers.

Let's just put him out there, and see if anybody notices.

Free Marcus Carr...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's just put him out there, and see if anybody notices.

WELL DONE SIR....absolutely BRILLIANT solution: straight forward, simple, effective........ just a minor suggested tweak.......he could wear a maroon wig or a big rubber nose to throw off any nosy NCAA- type that might awaken.....OR......he could wear an NC jersey- in that case they wouldn't bother.

WELL DONE SIR....absolutely BRILLIANT solution: straight forward, simple, effective........ just a minor suggested tweak.......he could wear a maroon wig or a big rubber nose to throw off any nosy NCAA- type that might awaken.....OR......he could wear an NC jersey- in that case they wouldn't bother.

Funny post of the day award winner.

Top Bottom