Pioneer Press article on Carr availability

The questions is, can Richard Pitino follow up with the NCAA? How hard is he pushing for an answer?

The questions is, can Richard Pitino follow up with the NCAA? How hard is he pushing for an answer?

You can’t “push for an answer.” Lol. The ncaa knows when the season starts, they don’t need the reminder.

What the U should be doing, though, is preparing strategy for fighting the decision if it comes back negative. IMO the ncaa has given these waivers so liberally lately, in so many various different situations, that you’d basically be treating a guy unfairly by not giving it to him.

You can’t “push for an answer.” Lol. The ncaa knows when the season starts, they don’t need the reminder.

What the U should be doing, though, is preparing strategy for fighting the decision if it comes back negative. IMO the ncaa has given these waivers so liberally lately, in so many various different situations, that you’d basically be treating a guy unfairly by not giving it to him.

I agree. And pushing the man is an easy way to get a "quick" NO!

I agree. And pushing the man is an easy way to get a "quick" NO!

I'm not so sure. Writing a negative response takes more time and consideration than writing a positive one.

Coaches have noticed NCAA is getting soft on transfers

More from Jeff Goodman.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Just run Carr out there as "Leon Sandcastle"!

Carr should be eligible based on recent decisions. I'm guessing he finds out before the end of the month. Luckily he has been practicing and all that

Carr should be eligible based on recent decisions. I'm guessing he finds out before the end of the month. Luckily he has been practicing and all that

I like the optimism but most of the cases I've seen have involved a personal family matter as reason for the transfer... Has a player who transferred because of a coaching change been made eligible by a NCAA decision?

I'll say it again...every single one of these waivers has been approved for transfers who had some extenuating circumstance for their transfer beyond "my coach got fired."

In Mustapha Heron's case he is moving closer to home. He's from Connecticut, went to Auburn, and is transferring to St. John's. Says his mother is having health issues and wants to be closer to her. St. John's is less than 2 hrs by car from his mother. Auburn is 16+ hours by car. It makes sense.

Carr is from Toronto. He started at Pittsburgh and transferred to the U. Pittsburgh is about 5 hrs by car from Toronto. Minneapolis is 14+ rs from Toronto, including the ferry ride across Lake Michigan. So he went to a school significantly farther away from home.

Unless Carr has a sick uncle in MN or some neighboring state I just don't see how it gets approved. Or if his family had previously moved to the Midwest I could see it. Otherwise, it's not happening. Because if the NCAA starts allowing free transfers every time a coach gets fired it will be a free for all that I don't think they want.

It wouldn't be smart to get our hopes up.

I like the optimism but most of the cases I've seen have involved a personal family matter as reason for the transfer... Has a player who transferred because of a coaching change been made eligible by a NCAA decision?

TD Roof is the only one I've seen. And he transferred from Georgia Tech after they fired Ted Roof, his dad. So obviously that one is a little different than just a "my coach got fired" situation.

You're all giving the NCAA a lot of credit, acting as if they know what they are doing.

I'll say it again...every single one of these waivers has been approved for transfers who had some extenuating circumstance for their transfer beyond "my coach got fired."

In Mustapha Heron's case he is moving closer to home. He's from Connecticut, went to Auburn, and is transferring to St. John's. Says his mother is having health issues and wants to be closer to her. St. John's is less than 2 hrs by car from his mother. Auburn is 16+ hours by car. It makes sense.

Carr is from Toronto. He started at Pittsburgh and transferred to the U. Pittsburgh is about 5 hrs by car from Toronto. Minneapolis is 14+ rs from Toronto, including the ferry ride across Lake Michigan. So he went to a school significantly farther away from home.

Unless Carr has a sick uncle in MN or some neighboring state I just don't see how it gets approved. Or if his family had previously moved to the Midwest I could see it. Otherwise, it's not happening. Because if the NCAA starts allowing free transfers every time a coach gets fired it will be a free for all that I don't think they want.

I just think many of these “family” issues are mostly BS, and the ncaa has given so many waivers that it’s basically nullified the 1 year sit-out rule. To make a guy like Carr sit out just because he can’t point to some distant relative at the school of his choice is stupid and unfair at this point, when pretty much everyone else is getting cleared to play.

Also, the wording of the rule changed in April 2018 and although “coach got fired” is not itself sufficient, that fact could support an overall “health and well being” argument, which is the crux of the new rule.

Payton Willis, too?

With NCAA handing out transfer waivers like candy, the U might as well try to get one for Payton Willis, too. Why not? Nothing to lose.

Sounds like a bunch of schools (Missouri State for one) are now submitting transfer waiver requests for anyone and everyone. They know NCAA is caving, and doesn't want to open itself up to future lawsuits (per Jeff Goodman).

Sounds like a bunch of schools (Missouri State for one) are now submitting transfer waiver requests for anyone and everyone. They know NCAA is caving, and doesn't want to open itself up to future lawsuits (per Jeff Goodman).

This news concerns me. NCAA now may figure it has to deny at least some waiver requests to re-set precedent that it’s not automatic.

I just think many of these “family” issues are mostly BS, and the ncaa has given so many waivers that it’s basically nullified the 1 year sit-out rule. To make a guy like Carr sit out just because he can’t point to some distant relative at the school of his choice is stupid and unfair at this point, when pretty much everyone else is getting cleared to play.

Also, the wording of the rule changed in April 2018 and although “coach got fired” is not itself sufficient, that fact could support an overall “health and well being” argument, which is the crux of the new rule.

I'd agree that some of the family issues might be BS. I don't know the individual situations, but it sure seems like there are a lot of them. Part of it could just be that it would get really murky if the NCAA started to make determinations about how close family relationships are. Sort of like medical marijuana -- you just have to give a medical reason in some states, and sometimes it might be a pretty BS reason.

I'm not really sure I agree with those who think the NCAA has really opened up transfers more than other years. Like I said, I haven't seen any requests approved that truly surprised me. Carr, unless there is more to the situation that we don't know about, would surprise me. I think it might just be that with the changing of the wording more schools are applying for waivers than in the past. Worst thing that happens is that it gets denied and the kid has to sit out a year anyways, so it's not like it hurts to try.

IIRC Joey King got a waiver to play here right away when he transferred from Drake so it's not like this illness in the family thing is totally new. Had something to do with his brother being sick I think. (And for the record, I know nothing about that situation in the King family so I'm not saying it's BS. I'm just saying that waivers due to illnesses in the family have been approved in the past.)

Why do these decisions take so dang long? This isn't a murder investigation. The request was put in a long time ago.

Why do these decisions take so dang long? This isn't a murder investigation. The request was put in a long time ago.

In all honesty, my guess is that the work is being done by people who have other jobs, and come together once in a while to look at a few files. I bet there is not a standing team of people who only review transfer waiver requests. Bureaucracy.

My guess for the delay is that the NCAA has all their wagons circled on how to keep this troublesome trial from causing all their top Adidas teams eligible for the dance. Gotta keep the revenues flowing.

With NCAA handing out transfer waivers like candy, the U might as well try to get one for Payton Willis, too. Why not? Nothing to lose.

I agree. Then they have to grant us at least one or appear biased.

Same w the Nebraska QB who was just granted a waiver. Going home.

At this point, though, so many have been granted that it’s hardly fair to deny anyone any more. I’d be more confident for Carr, though, if someone could point out a waiver granted in something other than the following circumstances - (I) family issue, (2) going home, or (3) prep school in ncaa trouble. (None of which seem to apply to Carr).

Because if the NCAA starts allowing free transfers every time a coach gets fired it will be a free for all that I don't think they want.

Yep.

And Minnesota is not a "face of NCAA MBB" program that needs extra help from the NCAA. Rather, it's a case where they can come down hard on the letter of the law and then use it as an example of "see, we enforce our rules!" If it were Kansas, then difference story potentially.

I agree. Then they have to grant us at least one or appear biased.

Clem's "Season That Never Happened" compared to how many years of Dean's and Roy's "Classes That Never Happened"? Yes, the NCAA would never appear to be biased.

How many of the one and done players even care about their grades in school, just that they pass the minimum?

Braxton Key will be immediately eligible for Virginia this season after transferring from Alabama earlier this year, though it sounds like there is an ailing family member involved in this one. Looks like he was injured for the wild game the Gophers played against the Tide last year.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yep. If you can dig up a family member in the area, they seem unwilling to fight you. Doesn’t Carr have a sick 2nd cousin in the cities??

Top Bottom