Pioneer Press article on Carr availability

I’d guess Carr finds out Monday. Or they already know and are appealing

I think if that were true then we would have heard about it. When Buckles got denied a wavered, that was reported and it was also reported when we sent in the appeal.

Has their ever been a case where a player was either granted or denied a waver after the season started?

Pretty sure yes.

My theory is it will be granted soon, but the ncaa wants to wait as long as possible because they don’t want to open the door to dozens of similar waivers this year.

Pretty sure yes.

My theory is it will be granted soon, but the ncaa wants to wait as long as possible because they don’t want to open the door to dozens of similar waivers this year.

I mentioned it earlier, but Mark Smith (Illinois to Missouri) was granted immediate eligibility about a week ago, and there wasn't even a coaching change involved with him like there is with Carr.

I mentioned it earlier, but Mark Smith (Illinois to Missouri) was granted immediate eligibility about a week ago, and there wasn't even a coaching change involved with him like there is with Carr.

One thing, though. Smith is from Edwardsville, IL which is only a little over 2 hours from the Missouri campus.

Right ... the "being closer to home" / "being closer to (possibly ailing) family members" angle usually works. The coaching change angle usually hasn't worked.

Cross your fingers, but I'm a pessimist.

One thing, though. Smith is from Edwardsville, IL which is only a little over 2 hours from the Missouri campus.

Mizzou campus is only marginally closer to Edwardsville than Champaign is. According to google maps, Mizzou is about 10 minutes closer, so about the same. And does the NCAA give out waivers just for "transferring closer to home"? I thought it was usually "my grandma/uncle/cousin etc. is dying and I need to be closer to home," and as far as I can tell there's no sick relative involved with Mark Smith. There was a rumor that he got immediate eligibility because Brad Underwood told the NCAA he was fine with it, so maybe we just have to hope Jeff Capel is nice to us?

Love it how everyone knows how the ncaa runs. Fact is everyone who has said anything what's gonna happen with carr has no idea. I've heard they have to grant him by the start of the season, they need to do this, they need to do that. No they dont! They, unfortunately will do it when they want. Yes its ridiculous but it bnb is what it is.

Mizzou campus is only marginally closer to Edwardsville than Champaign is.

I don't know how you got that information but that is not correct. Champaign is more than a 4 hour drive from Columbia. Just look at the map and you can clearly see that Edwardsville is much closer to Columbia.

Being closer to home does allow one to rationalize with various family related explanations. Whether that played into the Smith decision, I don't know but it is a factor that has been used.

Pretty sure yes.

That would be a plausible theory for delaying a decision with a fact pattern like this.

Of course it matters if you have a sick or dying relative and are going to be going either closer to them or back home or both. They are not looking at it and saying it is Minnesota, lets screw them over.

Of course it matters if you have a sick or dying relative and are going to be going either closer to them or back home or both. They are not looking at it and saying it is Minnesota, lets screw them over.

Not so sure badger builder. Tell us about the blue bloods and the out and out cheating they have done and it has been excused by the ncaa. Go Tar Heels!

#levelplayingfield

I don't know how you got that information but that is not correct. Champaign is more than a 4 hour drive from Columbia. Just look at the map and you can clearly see that Edwardsville is much closer to Columbia.

Being closer to home does allow one to rationalize with various family related explanations. Whether that played into the Smith decision, I don't know but it is a factor that has been used.

Columbia is about 140mi to Edwardsville, Champaign is about 160mi.

Even if that argument is bogus .... I still feel like just mentioning the word "family" on the waiver application is probably worth something. Or has been, more so than saying "my coach left".

I checked google maps. It says that Columbia is 11 minutes closer to Edwardsville by car than Champaign is. Going from Columbia to Champaign will take you right past Edwardsville at about the midpoint of the trip.

Edwardsville.jpg

I checked google maps. It says that Columbia is 11 minutes closer to Edwardsville by car than Champaign is. Going from Columbia to Champaign will take you right past Edwardsville at about the midpoint of the trip.

View attachment 5845

Well, I'm sorry but that is absolutely wrong. Yes, Edwardsville is the midpoint of the trip but it is much further away from Champaign than 11 minutes. You better check this again. If you just look at a map, you will see that your claim is impossible. It's one thing to be wrong. It's another thing to insist on defending a point that is indefensible.

Columbia is about 140mi to Edwardsville, Champaign is about 160mi.

I think you and Cayman need to look at a map and trust your eyes because whatever technology you are using to tell you that Champaign is only 20 miles further from Columbia MO is wrong. The shortest driving time and distance from Champaign to Columbia is 4 hours and 15 minutes and 269 miles. The equivalent numbers from Edwardsville IL to Columbia are 2 hours and 8 minutes and 137 miles.

I think you and Cayman need to look at a map and trust your eyes because whatever technology you are using to tell you that Champaign is only 20 miles further from Columbia MO is wrong. The shortest driving time and distance from Champaign to Columbia is 4 hours and 15 minutes and 269 miles. The equivalent numbers from Edwardsville IL to Columbia are 2 hours and 8 minutes and 137 miles.

Why are you driving from Champaign to Columbia? Smith is from Edwardsville, that's his hometown. His hometown is approximately 146 miles to Champaign. His hometown is approximately 137 miles to Columbia. Champaign to Columbia is 269 miles, but I'm not sure why that matters.
`

Why are you driving from Champaign to Columbia?
`

Oh...duh. I did confuse myself. My apologies to Cayman and Gophers4_life. Thanks for straightening me out. Early onset of dementia maybe.

Are fans allowed to contact the NCAA for a status update?

If the NCAA waits until the eve of the season to rule Carr ineligible I hope Pitino goes on an epic rant, calling out the NCAA for being arbitrary and capricious and totally apathetic to the wants and needs of student athletes.

At this point in the timeline, anything other than the granting of the waiver is downright shameful

Is it possible, now hear me out!!!, that Carr gets ruled eligible so late in the season he still plays under 30% of our total games so we have him for the Final 4 run AND he gets to redshirt?

Is it possible, now hear me out!!!, that Carr gets ruled eligible so late in the season he still plays under 30% of our total games so we have him for the Final 4 run AND he gets to redshirt?

The under 30% of the season rule is for a hardship waiver, not for redshirting. In non-football sports (that was the only sport that got updated, so far), a redshirt means you sit out of all competition for the whole season.

He'd also have to have a season ending injury for that to happen

Top Bottom