Pioneer Press article on Carr availability

His bio on Gophersports.com says he's sitting out this year if that means anything. It's 84% certain he will not play this year.

Saw Mark Smith was granted immediate eligibility transferring from Illinois to Missouri. Played the whole year at Illinois, no coaching change involved, pretty sure no sick relative either. Some suspect that Underwood gave the NCAA his blessing to let Smith play right away, but who knows if that’s true, or if it would have any effect.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Very encouraged now with Pitino actually saying they think Carr will get Wavier! This would be huge

Watching Carr at the tip-off event. He looks the park of a starting PG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching Carr at the tip-off event. He looks the park of a starting PG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure he is a PG though, more of a guard, I almost think PG will be a shared position when he is on the court if he is cleared to play.

Not sure he is a PG though, more of a guard, I almost think PG will be a shared position when he is on the court if he is cleared to play.

I think it is save to say that all positions will be shared or switched during the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why do people doubt that he will be not be cleared. The staff feels as though he will.

per Marcus:

No update on Carr

The Gophers are still hopeful Pittsburgh transfer Marcus Carr will have his waiver accepted by the NCAA to play this season, but they’re still waiting for an answer.

Carr is requesting he should be eligible because Pitt coach Kevin Stallings was fired in the spring. The sophomore point guard from Ontario said Sunday he’s preparing himself just in case the waiver is denied.

“It’s definitely been an emotional ride every day trying to figure out what’s going to happen,” Carr said. “I’m just always staying prepared. Even if I wasn’t playing I’d still be going just as hard in practice to make sure these guys will be successful this season.”

http://www.startribune.com/no-shame...ayers-into-more-effort-in-practice/498842681/

Go Gophers!!

The wording Pitino uses is "I'm assuming that he'll play until somebody tells me otherwise." I don't mean to rain on the parade, but that almost sounds more like Pitino is just practicing as though Carr will be available, and not necessarily that he believes the waiver will be granted. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

Because it's the NCAA.
And we're Minnesota. Traditionally that's been a volatile mix.
Exactly.
It seems we are the whipping boy for the NCAA.
"We need to screw over someone to show we have teeth. Who should that be? I know... let's use Minnesota. They're compliant and seem to be of little financial consequence to us."

The wording Pitino uses is "I'm assuming that he'll play until somebody tells me otherwise." I don't mean to rain on the parade, but that almost sounds more like Pitino is just practicing as though Carr will be available, and not necessarily that he believes the waiver will be granted. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

GH translation: the staff feels as though he will.

"We need to screw over someone to show we have teeth. Who should that be? I know... let's use Minnesota. They're compliant and seem to be of little financial consequence to us."

Well, that seems sort of plausible, but I was hoping we'd have some leverage here because 1) they turned down one in Pitino's first year and 2) they may not want to show they are biased against the family name.

per Marcus:

Free Marcus Carr hashtags have been popping up all over social media in the last week.

The start of the 2018-19 college basketball season is so close you can sense the excitement across the country, but the former Pittsburgh guard still hasn’t heard from the NCAA on whether his waiver to play immediately at the University of Minnesota will be granted after transferring in the spring.

“We’re confident he will get it,” Gophers coach Richard Pitino said Sunday about the 6-foot-2 sophomore point guard. “We feel like he should get it, but you never know with all that stuff.”

People close to Carr, his fans, his Gopher teammates and obviously coaches are getting antsy about the NCAA’s decision making process. Carr hopes the news comes soon with the season opener Nov. 6 against Nebraska Omaha.

“It’s definitely been an emotional ride trying to figure out every day what’s going to happen,” Carr said. “In terms of practice, I’ve just been approaching it the same. Coming into practice every day still trying to work hard, still trying to get these guys better, still trying to get better myself – really trying to always be prepared.”

On Tuesday, South Florida announced LSU transfer Mayan Kiir was declared to play immediately after playing eight games with the Tigers last season. North Dakota State released a statement Monday about Siena transfer Jordan Horn, a St. Paul native, being eligible to play this season after playing in 30 games last season, including 13 starts.

Big Ten fans might remember the name Mark Smith at Illinois. The former four-star recruit and Illini freshman guard had his waiver granted last week to play this year at Missouri. Higher profile waivers granted recently were former Auburn standout Mustapha Heron at St. John’s and former Alabama forward Braxton Key getting to help Virginia compete for another ACC title this season.

So that brings us back to Carr. What’s the hold up? Sources told the Star Tribune that the NCAA has asked Minnesota for more information on Carr’s case. A big part of the waiver is dealing with the emotional strain of having his head coach fired at Pitt in the spring. The only reason Carr went there was to play for Kevin Stallings, who walked away with $10 million buyout on his contract.

Carr’s mentor and AAU coach Vidal Massiah said he received a text from Minnesota’s coaches this fall that his pupil was “doing extremely well” on and off the court in Minneapolis. He had 12 points in Sunday's Maroon and Gold scrimmage in front of fans.

“I hope he’s able to play, because it’s a win-win for everyone,” Massiah said. “He’s excited he’s playing well, but he’s sitting there in limbo bracing for the worst. If he’s denied it’s going to be a national story.”

http://www.startribune.com/marcus-c...iver-to-play-for-gophers-this-year/499078091/

Go Gophers!!

The season is about to start. Does the NCAA have a lack of money so they cant hire people to process these requests quicker? Are requests processed in the order they are received? Would K, Roy, or Cal be required to wait this long for a decision on one of their transfers?

Seems beyond ridiculous that the process needs to take this long.

The season is about to start. Does the NCAA have a lack of money so they cant hire people to process these requests quicker? Are requests processed in the order they are received? Would K, Roy, or Cal be required to wait this long for a decision on one of their transfers?

It is beyond pathetic. Perhaps the vaunted ncaa needs a calendar to refresh their memory?

Utter joke.

The NCAA guy assigned to this case is waiting for that plain-wrapped stack of Benjamin's to show up in the mail. K, Roy and Cal would have had those bills special delivered to them months ago.

I'd assume the people at the NCAA responsible for this don't work on weekends.

Thats means we have two more business days for the NCAA to make a decision before our first game.

Has their ever been a case where a player was either granted or denied a waver after the season started?

The NCAA guy assigned to this case is waiting for that plain-wrapped stack of Benjamin's to show up in the mail. K, Roy and Cal would have had those bills special delivered to them months ago.

Knew there had to be some explanation. Thanks for the help.

I’d guess Carr finds out Monday. Or they already know and are appealing

Top Bottom